U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 10:34 PM

29,465 posts, read 22,379,867 times

Advertisements

Greenwood is basically a lower cost major suburb of Indy. It tries mimic Carmel and Fishers for people who cannot afford the prices of Hamilton County.

Whiteland is more rural and agricultural. One of my colleagues at the time had a family farm in Whiteland on significant acreage, where he brewed his own beer, and we'd go out there to party a lot.

Greenwood has probably the best waterpark in the area (Freedom Springs). Franklin is going to be more farther afield than Whiteland, and I wouldn't to commute to a job even on the Southside from there. 65 is in poor shape, bogs down, and Indiana's roads are overall terrible.

Stay close to the office.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 10:56 AM

1,003 posts, read 914,178 times
Unsure if I should start a different thread about this, but I'm wondering if its worth adding water back-up insurance coverage to our new property (we're renting btw). I believe our house is built on a slab so I'm not really sure if it's worth it or not? Anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-09-2020, 02:56 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,466 posts, read 4,705,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Unsure if I should start a different thread about this, but I'm wondering if its worth adding water back-up insurance coverage to our new property (we're renting btw). I believe our house is built on a slab so I'm not really sure if it's worth it or not? Anyone have any ideas?
"Falling" or wind driven water = homeowner's insurance

Rising water, as in flooding = flood insurance

Sewer or drain backup = homeowner's insurance

Think about it this way: If you've got personal belongings that would be damaged if the home flooded, what are they and what would it cost to replace them. Also consider the deductible. Sometimes a large deductible doesn't make it worthwhile to buy insurance.

RM

Old 09-09-2020, 03:19 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,081,281 times
I'd have the drain looked at as part of the inspection and (if necessary) cleaned out by the seller. In my case, a simple test by the inspector found the drain was partly blocked.

I'm not a plumbing expert, but I wouldn't think you'd have a lot of water damage from a backed-up drain if you don't have a basement.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:30 PM

7,481 posts, read 9,301,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I'd have the drain looked at as part of the inspection and (if necessary) cleaned out by the seller. In my case, a simple test by the inspector found the drain was partly blocked.

I'm not a plumbing expert, but I wouldn't think you'd have a lot of water damage from a backed-up drain if you don't have a basement.
They are renting. There won't be an inspection.

I'm not quite sure what "water" insurance is. My best guess is that it's an add-on to renters insurance that covers personal property since any homeowners insurance won't cover the property of the tenant.

Only the OP knows how risk adverse they are.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 160 times
If you are Christian, I highly recommend Coffeehouse 5 in Greenwood for a meeting place. Great coffee & there is a church service on Sundays.

Franklin/Whiteland are of a very conservative/rural/farm mindset. I like the summer farmers market in Greenwood too. There are parks and such. But none as nice and well developed as state DNR hiking trails, DNR forrests or state parks.

Johnson county overall is trying to move toward a more urban feel. But people on the southside of Indy are not very society minded. So support for little shops and such varies widely.

The do have a nice yarn shop that I personally go to. And you'll find major stores etc. Greenwood has a library & I think Franklin college does too. 4th of July celebration is a big deal in Greenwood.

BTW, Center Grove area over near US37 could be classified as the well-to-do area of Greenwood. I know a family that had to move away (there is still cheap housing to be had there). They couldnt afford sports cars, private tennis or golf lessons etc. and such for their kids. Most kids at Center Grove have no idea what frugality or pinching pennies is like. Just a FYI.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDchat View Post
If you are Christian, I highly recommend Coffeehouse 5 in Greenwood for a meeting place. Great coffee & there is a church service on Sundays.

Franklin/Whiteland are of a very conservative/rural/farm mindset. I like the summer farmers market in Greenwood too. There are parks and such. But none as nice and well developed as state DNR hiking trails, DNR forrests or state parks.

Johnson county overall is trying to move toward a more urban feel. But people on the southside of Indy are not very society minded. So support for little shops and such varies widely.

The do have a nice yarn shop that I personally go to. And you'll find major stores etc. Greenwood has a library & I think Franklin college does too. 4th of July celebration is a big deal in Greenwood.

BTW, Center Grove area over near US37 could be classified as the well-to-do area of Greenwood. I know a family that had to move away (there is still cheap housing to be had there). They couldnt afford sports cars, private tennis or golf lessons etc. and such for their kids. Most kids at Center Grove have no idea what frugality or pinching pennies is like. Just a FYI.
Thanks, appreciate the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
They are renting. There won't be an inspection.

I'm not quite sure what "water" insurance is. My best guess is that it's an add-on to renters insurance that covers personal property since any homeowners insurance won't cover the property of the tenant.

Only the OP knows how risk adverse they are.
I decided to decline the water backup insurance. Couldn't think of a reason why we would need it since we're renting and the house doesn't have a basement.

I've actually been relatively surprised at the number of properties I've seen without basements. I know Indiana has had flooding problems but they must be more numerous than Illinois because coming from the Chicago area (and having grown up in the Midwest, central Ohio specifically) I would expect more properties to have basements.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:06 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,466 posts, read 4,705,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Thanks, appreciate the info.

I decided to decline the water backup insurance. Couldn't think of a reason why we would need it since we're renting and the house doesn't have a basement.

I've actually been relatively surprised at the number of properties I've seen without basements. I know Indiana has had flooding problems but they must be more numerous than Illinois because coming from the Chicago area (and having grown up in the Midwest, central Ohio specifically) I would expect more properties to have basements.
Depends on the age of the house and the area. Lots of heavy clay around there which makes keeping a basement dry a challenge under some circumstances.

Lower value homes are less likely to have basements, too.

RM

Old 09-11-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Depends on the age of the house and the area. Lots of heavy clay around there which makes keeping a basement dry a challenge under some circumstances.

Lower value homes are less likely to have basements, too.

RM
Very interesting. I didn't know there was heavy clay in the Indy area. I always thought that was the case when you want further south. I grew up in central Ohio and just assumed the ground/foundations were largely the same in Indy.

Old 09-13-2020, 06:01 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,585,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Greenwood is basically a lower cost major suburb of Indy. It tries mimic Carmel and Fishers for people who cannot afford the prices of Hamilton County.

Whiteland is more rural and agricultural. One of my colleagues at the time had a family farm in Whiteland on significant acreage, where he brewed his own beer, and we'd go out there to party a lot. Greenwood has probably the best waterpark in the area (Freedom Springs).
For those who haven't been to the area in a while, the areas near Freedom Springs and between the water park and Worthsville Rd. exit has seen significant growth in just the last few years. A relative had a house built just west of the park. His addition and a couple around there are $300K+ homes. There are some lower price point neighborhoods in that area as well. Additionally, at Worthsville Rd. and US 31 is there is an older mobile home park (Greenwood Estates). Well, just to the west of this older complex they are building a newer, updated mobile home park. So basically the entire area offers a housing price point for all. I'm actually surprised that my relatives addition starts out at in the mid-$300Ks, but people are buying and they are building.

The Worthsville Rd. interchange is only about five years old but it has already driven significant growth in both housing and retail in the nearby area. Additionally, some warehouse buildings have also been developed, including a newer Amazon facility. The farm fields are drastically being developed by either commercial or residential development. There is still a more rural agricultural feel east of the interstate, but I'm not sure how long that will last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis