U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 03:35 PM

1,003 posts, read 914,178 times

Advertisements

Interested in hearing about the areas surrounding Greenwood and Franklin Indiana. We just signed a lease to rent a house about halfway between Franklin and Greenwood (address is technically Franklin). What's fun in the area for family's. What should we be aware of (both good and bad)??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 07:18 PM

7,481 posts, read 9,301,084 times
There is a small college in Franklin. I wouldn't expect any activities there soon, but in the future there might be fun things there like football or basketball games. In Whiteland, between Greenwood and Franklin, is Rascal's Fun Zone. It's a small amusement park with go karts, bumper boats, mini bowling, mini golf and other amusements. I was there years ago for a birthday party. It was clean and my kids had fun. Something similar in the area is Urban Air zone. Indoor fun kinds of stuff like trampolines and rock climbing walls. Never been there.

There are trails in Franklin and Greenwood. Check out the park district for whichever town you will be living in. Outdoor parks are free to use for non-residents. I don't know the policies of Greenwood or Franklin, but most park districts charge non-residents an extra fee. Activities are probably still limited though because of Covid.

It's not that much longer to drive to the Indianapolis Zoo from that area.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:04 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,466 posts, read 4,705,395 times
Be aware that Franklin, Whiteland and some of the other surrounding areas are very "red", so to speak, and will have all the things that go along with the mindset/attitudes of such. I'm not passing judgment, just stating what I know and have experienced from growing up and living in the general area. The term "redneck" would probably be appropriate for a generalization.

It's not bad, that being said, you just have to set your expectations appropriately.

I highly recommend the Artcraft theater and many of the parks in the area. Greenwood has some really nice city parks.

RM

Old 09-01-2020, 08:19 PM

49 posts, read 19,240 times
If you're not from the area the mountain biking is good. Greenwood is close to Southwestway Park, Brown County State park and many others. The parks in general are pretty good. Of course there is shopping too. It just depends what you're looking for.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:04 AM

127 posts, read 91,346 times
Personally I would lean more towards Franklin. You still get a lot of the small town feel and much less of the traffic.

Greenwood has a downtown that they are doing a lot of work to refurbish back to the small town feel, but it gets overlooked due to US-31 and the mall and other businesses along that corridor. Traffic can be Crazy at times. We lived right off County Line Road and Sherman across from Smock Golf Course for about 8 years and that area just became so congested.

In Franklin you still have easy access to all of the great things in Greenwood, but without having to deal with the traffic everyday (unless you head that way for work). MortonR is right that both communities are more likely to lean Red, but I think to an extent you do get a little more blue in Franklin due to Franklin College. However, those blue numbers are pretty negligible and no matter which way you are affiliated you will most likely be ok with neighbors even if from the opposite political spectrum as you.

When we lived on the southside we LOVED how much closer to Brown County State Park and just that area in general we were. We could make day trips out of it very easily. Franklin gets you about 10-15 minutes closer to visits down that way than Greenwood. Nashville has a little bit of something for everyone between the park, putt putt, wineries and other cool shops (Big Woods Pizza and Brewery are a must stop if in that area along with Hobnob Corner for breakfast and Brown County Winery for wine sampling/buying).

Rascal's Fun Zone as mentioned above is about halfway between Greenwood and Franklin. Greenwood does have a fairly new water park called Freedom Springs, but that's at the South end of Greenwood and easily accessible from Franklin. Franklin does have a community pool with some slides, but not quite to the extent of Freedom Springs. I think currently Greenwood has many more running/walking trails, though they are not as well connected as Franklin's. Franklin will overtake Greenwood in that department here in the next probably 3-5 years I would say though.

Some of the really good restaurants to try in both places are Greenwood: Thai Spice (technically Indianapolis, but right on border...best Thai food in Indy area), Vino Villa (more wine and "snacks" than meal, but really good nonetheless), La Trattoria is good if you want Italian outside your usual chain restaurants, Jockamo or Arni's were the best pizza we felt. In Franklin we didn't explore as much but the 2 places we did eat and really like were The Willard and Greek's Pizzeria and Tap Room.

Outside of those places my kids weren't really old enough when we lived down there for me to tell you any other fun things to do outside of parks and festivals. Greenwood has WAMM (Wine, Arts, Music and Microbrew) in the fall that was always fun and a 4th of July fireworks show and display. I'm sure Franklin had those too, but not sure what.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:27 AM

148 posts, read 66,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Be aware that Franklin, Whiteland and some of the other surrounding areas are very "red", so to speak, and will have all the things that go along with the mindset/attitudes of such. I'm not passing judgment, just stating what I know and have experienced from growing up and living in the general area. The term "redneck" would probably be appropriate for a generalization.

It's not bad, that being said, you just have to set your expectations appropriately.

I highly recommend the Artcraft theater and many of the parks in the area. Greenwood has some really nice city parks.

RM
You are passing judgement though.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:45 AM

1,003 posts, read 914,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideMac View Post
Personally I would lean more towards Franklin. You still get a lot of the small town feel and much less of the traffic.

Greenwood has a downtown that they are doing a lot of work to refurbish back to the small town feel, but it gets overlooked due to US-31 and the mall and other businesses along that corridor. Traffic can be Crazy at times. We lived right off County Line Road and Sherman across from Smock Golf Course for about 8 years and that area just became so congested.

In Franklin you still have easy access to all of the great things in Greenwood, but without having to deal with the traffic everyday (unless you head that way for work). MortonR is right that both communities are more likely to lean Red, but I think to an extent you do get a little more blue in Franklin due to Franklin College. However, those blue numbers are pretty negligible and no matter which way you are affiliated you will most likely be ok with neighbors even if from the opposite political spectrum as you.

When we lived on the southside we LOVED how much closer to Brown County State Park and just that area in general we were. We could make day trips out of it very easily. Franklin gets you about 10-15 minutes closer to visits down that way than Greenwood. Nashville has a little bit of something for everyone between the park, putt putt, wineries and other cool shops (Big Woods Pizza and Brewery are a must stop if in that area along with Hobnob Corner for breakfast and Brown County Winery for wine sampling/buying).

Rascal's Fun Zone as mentioned above is about halfway between Greenwood and Franklin. Greenwood does have a fairly new water park called Freedom Springs, but that's at the South end of Greenwood and easily accessible from Franklin. Franklin does have a community pool with some slides, but not quite to the extent of Freedom Springs. I think currently Greenwood has many more running/walking trails, though they are not as well connected as Franklin's. Franklin will overtake Greenwood in that department here in the next probably 3-5 years I would say though.

Some of the really good restaurants to try in both places are Greenwood: Thai Spice (technically Indianapolis, but right on border...best Thai food in Indy area), Vino Villa (more wine and "snacks" than meal, but really good nonetheless), La Trattoria is good if you want Italian outside your usual chain restaurants, Jockamo or Arni's were the best pizza we felt. In Franklin we didn't explore as much but the 2 places we did eat and really like were The Willard and Greek's Pizzeria and Tap Room.

Outside of those places my kids weren't really old enough when we lived down there for me to tell you any other fun things to do outside of parks and festivals. Greenwood has WAMM (Wine, Arts, Music and Microbrew) in the fall that was always fun and a 4th of July fireworks show and display. I'm sure Franklin had those too, but not sure what.
Thanks to everyone for the input! Really good info!

For what its worth we are more than ok living in an area that leans red politically. My wife and I are a far cry from being liberal ourselves.

Truthfully, I just wanted to get some more info, in general, on the area since we've been planning on relocating to Indy (from Chicago) for a while now and we were originally looking at living in the far north suburbs (westfield, noblesville, etc.). We are a younger family and so I thought it would be great to just be aware of what's available in the area (parks, shopping, etc.).

We came down to visit the area a few weeks ago but only had time to explore the north and west suburbs. The rental property we were going to lease was in westfield but the availability on it got moved back so we went to plan B and ended up finding another property south of town which lead me to thinking I should get some more info on the area.

Again, appreciate all of the insight.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:38 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,466 posts, read 4,705,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward59 View Post
Not hardly. I'm making a statement based on direct experience from living in and around the area. I don't care what my neighbor's politics or cultural attitudes are as long as they don't try to foist them on me. I've met a lot of nice people in the area who clearly fit the description I gave, which in no way denigrates them.

If we were talking about Carmel I could warn people about the old rich white guys who drive around in their expensive cars and designer clothes, but that's not passing judgement, it's merely making an observation based on the demographics.

Please don't put words in my mouth, thank you.

RM

Old 09-02-2020, 09:20 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,081,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Not hardly. I'm making a statement based on direct experience from living in and around the area. I don't care what my neighbor's politics or cultural attitudes are as long as they don't try to foist them on me. I've met a lot of nice people in the area who clearly fit the description I gave, which in no way denigrates them.

If we were talking about Carmel I could warn people about the old rich white guys who drive around in their expensive cars and designer clothes, but that's not passing judgement, it's merely making an observation based on the demographics.

Please don't put words in my mouth, thank you.

RM
Of all the times Carmel has come up on this forum, this is the first such warning I've ever seen.

BTW, my cousin used to live on the south side, and many of my relatives would fit right in there. None of our neighbors have ever needed any warnings about us.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:21 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,572,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward59 View Post
Depends on the individual but the area could be a cultural shock to some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis