U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 01:30 PM

30 posts, read 16,869 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am about to purchase a new home in Indy area. In the inspection report, we found that hard wood floor is scratched by owner's pets . So we requested the seller to either fix it or give us a credit. Is this an unreasonable request ? The home in question is less than 5 year old but has lot of scratches on the hard wood floor due the previous owner's pets.

Thanks,

HomeInIndy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 01:52 PM

1,195 posts, read 547,976 times
Did you not notice the scratches on your own (before inspection)? Were these scratches somehow hidden from you and other potential buyers? How was it that the inspector found them and you did not?

I'm asking because, if the scratches were in plain sight and you're only now asking about them, I think asking for a credit or to have them fixed seems less reasonable than if the seller kept them hidden. Also, five years is about when a lot of things in any home start to show their age through normal wear and tear.

I've read over and over how some buyers offer full price for a home (or a higher price than they intend to pay when all is said and done) and then ask for credits or repairs after they are under contract to get their final price down. Not saying this is you...just saying it's a type of gameplay I'm aware of.

Old 09-07-2020, 03:12 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,043,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinindy View Post
Hello, I am about to purchase a new home in Indy area. In the inspection report, we found that hard wood floor is scratched by owner's pets . So we requested the seller to either fix it or give us a credit. Is this an unreasonable request ? The home in question is less than 5 year old but has lot of scratches on the hard wood floor due the previous owner's pets.

Thanks,

HomeInIndy
Are these scratches beyond normal wear and tear? What kind of repair did you request? If you want the owners to apply some wax paste and buff it in, that might not be not a big deal. If you wanted them to refinish the floors, they'll probably tell you no.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:12 PM

Yes, I did notice them before the inspection as well. As a first time home buyer I am not sure what is considered a reasonable request and what is normal wear and tear as on the internet I saw multiple articles arguing either way. Thats where I was hoping my agent would help. Thank you @ImmerLernen @sheerbliss for your response.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:16 PM

9,655 posts, read 5,391,952 times
No harm in asking.... Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:05 PM

946 posts, read 881,548 times
I don't think it's unreasonable assuming the scratches are numerous and more than normal wear and tear.

It also would depend on how many other fixes and/or credits you asked for. If it's the only request then I would imagine it's reasonable. If you asked for 10 other things as well then potentially not... Just food for thought.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:29 PM

1,195 posts, read 547,976 times
Quote:
Yes, I did notice them before the inspection as well. As a first time home buyer I am not sure what is considered a reasonable request and what is normal wear and tear as on the internet I saw multiple articles arguing either way. Thats where I was hoping my agent would help. Thank you @ImmerLernen @sheerbliss for your response.
IMHO, things you can see when you tour a home (good & bad) should be reflected in your offer price. Things that only show up on inspection (that you didn't know about when you made your offer, which the seller accepted) are fair game to ask about, of course.

If you're in a hot seller's market and this home is popular, be prepared for the seller to tell you no on fixing the scratches/giving a credit. You would then need to decide if buying the house is still worth it to you.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:11 AM

I am about 15 days from closing and the seller has not provided me the seller disclosure document. My genius agent, did not even care to ask them about it. Is a SELLER’S RESIDENTIAL REAL ESTATE SALES DISCLOSURE form required in Indiana and what leverage do I have over the deal if seller doesnt provide it to me. Is a seller supposed to provide this form by law ?

Thanks,

HomeInIndy

Last edited by homeinindy; 09-08-2020 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: Unrelated post, moved to new thread.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:59 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,043,953 times
Quote:
I am about 15 days from closing and the seller has not provided me the seller disclosure document. My genius agent, did not even care to ask them about it. Is a SELLER’S RESIDENTIAL REAL ESTATE SALES DISCLOSURE form required in Indiana and what leverage do I have over the deal if seller doesnt provide it to me. Is a seller supposed to provide this form by law ?

Thanks,

HomeInIndy
Try posting this in the real estate section.

Old 09-08-2020, 06:42 PM

7,429 posts, read 9,211,108 times
Quote:

Thanks,

HomeInIndy
The sales disclosure form is absolutely required in Indiana. One exception is a foreclosure being sold by a lender.

A good agent would have asked for it before you made an offer. If I remember correctly, or maybe it was just my standard practice when I was an agent, there is a spot on the contract that states the buyer has had a chance to review the Disclosure form.

Call your agent and tell them you want it tomorrow by noon. Give them one more chance. If they don't provide it, call their broker and the broker of the listing agent. It's not acceptable. It's even worse that you've gone through inspections without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis