U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 10:03 AM

148 posts, read 64,258 times

Advertisements

We’re looking to move to the Indianapolis area by the end of the year and we could use some recommedations on where in the city to live. My wife & I are in our late 50s with grown kids so schools are not a concern to us. Safety is very important to us though.
Budget wise we’re looking around $250,000 for a home with a decent sized yard. Older homes are okay to us provided they’ve been updated. Being within a 5-10 minute drive of parks, shopping & restaurants would be a nice bonus.
We’re also into concerts & sports so casually commuting into downtown Indy for an event is on our bucket list with a drive under 45 minutes.
Thank you so much for your help and suggestions as we make this transition.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 01:21 PM

127 posts, read 88,304 times
There are several threads of Chicago residents moving to Indy area I would definitely check out. They had more specific questions about certain areas than you so the answers will cover some of what you are looking for, though they will also have more specific answers. What is work situation for you both? Commute times and areas could impact your locations.

The nice thing with Indy not having much in the way of physical features constraining development is that you can pretty much be in any major suburb or Indy proper and still get downtown Indy in under 45 min (assuming not rush hour). Also means we don't have though a Lake Michigan or mountains or anything by way of that, but you are about an hour from a state park that can provide those types of adventures.

If you are wanting to be closer to parks you probably want to be in a suburb and not Indy proper. There are some areas of Indy that are within 5 to 10 mins of several parks, but most suburbs have this for sure. Most of your Indy areas are maybe close to 1 but not 2, really just depends on what part of the city you are looking. Also depends on what you are looking for in a park. Eagle Creek Park is great and has many more offerings than most parks, but does have a price (via day or year pass). Homes in that area can range from 150,000 to several million, just depends on the neighborhood you are looking at. Easy access to 465 or 65 into downtown from this area.

For Indy proper I'd look more North/West, especially just south of Keystone at the crossing or Broad Ripple areas if the Eagle Creek Park area isn't to your liking. These are almost all older homes, but mostly in your price point. Won't be as close to as many parks. Alot of homes have been updated though. If you want to actually try out being closer to downtown there are alot of blocks being completely refurbished by NEAR and other organizations on empty lots. Old Northside and Fall Creek Place come to mind. Again not lots of park options, but there are some. My friend just built in Kennedy King and the home is beautiful and a decent sized lot for the area. Most of his street is newer homes like his, but definitely still some older homes and some in disrepair. Doesn't make it any less safe he walks the area every night, just depending on what you want in a neighborhood that could be a factor. He's also a block from the Monon Trail. That keeps you about 10 minutes at most from downtown.

Suburbs wise:
I personally like the Western suburbs. I think what you are requesting that Plainfield would be ideal area for you. They have a great park system that is connected, but is also expansive enough that it matches your 5-10 min limit. It also is about 30 min on a bad day to downtown Indy. You are close to the airport and it has an outdoor mall with most box office areas you are looking for within 5-10 min. You can get newer and older homes in the $250,000 price range for sure.

Another recent Chicagoan on one of the other threads just moved to Greenwood area and seem to be liking that. Many homes definitely in your price point in that area. About 30 min to downtown and you have parks and another outdoor mall. That area gets a little busy for my liking part of why we moved away from there, but the further you get from 31 the better off you are.

People love the northside suburbs and that might put you closer to Chicago for relatives, but typically you money won't go as far. There are definitely homes in that price range for you, but typically homes are bigger or more expensive in that area. Traffic can also really get bad in those areas at times due to the desire to live in those areas. So Carmel is the obvious one to look at, but again you have certain neighborhoods that will match your criteria in price point and others that don't.

Old 09-25-2020, 01:45 PM

946 posts, read 881,548 times
I would agree with WestsideMac. I believe I'm the "recent resident from Chicago" who moved to the Greenwood area (although we're actually closer to Franklin/Whiteland). I commented on the Illinois tax thread earlier today as well, which I think you had responded to.

My wife and I really like the Franklin area which is south of Greenwood. You can still get to downtown Indy within 45 mins but it would likely be a longer trek than from the west suburbs (or Greenwood for that matter). That said the downtown franklin area is really quaint and I was impressed by the area shortly after we moved here (granted we've only been here for a few weeks now). Greenwood seems very commercialized, with lots of big box stores and restaurants. We're on the edge of Franklin where it's much more rural, but it's quiet here and we really like that.

The west suburbs are also nice, we looked at them briefly before moving here. As mentioned the north suburbs are also nice, but much more popular and as such your dollar probably won't go as far.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:18 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,043,953 times
I think you'd like the north side of Indianapolis. You'd be close to Eagle Creek park (one of the largest municipal parks in the US), Ft. Harrison State Park, certainly within 45 minutes of downtown, and lots of shopping and restaurants in Broadripple and along 86th / 82nd. Carmel and all the amenities there wouldn't be far. Something north of 52nd, more or less, should meet your needs.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:05 AM

3,883 posts, read 10,185,879 times
A friend just returned to Indy from school in Lafayette, IN. She had great difficulty in finding a home in that price range. The reason was the high demand (bidding wars) and people with cash offers. She lost about 5+ homes before she was able to buy one.

Old 09-27-2020, 08:41 PM

29,333 posts, read 22,161,829 times
At $250k, I think you’d be hard pressed to get into Lafayette, much less West Lafayette. You’d need to go further out into the boonies to find a better price point.

I’d look on the south side - Greenwood would be my first stop. $250k should be doable there. Maybe Avon or Plainfield - Brownsburg if you don’t mind a more westerly location.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:40 AM

2,713 posts, read 5,338,228 times
Lafayette/West Lafayette has been a hot real estate market for years. Why? Because it is a really nice place to live. I returned to my hometown of Lafayette four years ago after living 40+ years in the Miami area. I would suggest that you contact a realtor and tell them your needs. I am retired, living just east of the city limits of Lafayette. When I saw the home of my dreams, I was the first to look at it and made a full cash offer the same day. Check listings on various realtor websites. Come visit the area, both Lafayette and the Indy area.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:04 AM

148 posts, read 64,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Lafayette/West Lafayette has been a hot real estate market for years. Why? Because it is a really nice place to live. I returned to my hometown of Lafayette four years ago after living 40+ years in the Miami area. I would suggest that you contact a realtor and tell them your needs. I am retired, living just east of the city limits of Lafayette. When I saw the home of my dreams, I was the first to look at it and made a full cash offer the same day. Check listings on various realtor websites. Come visit the area, both Lafayette and the Indy area.
Were looking closer to Indy. The south & western sides of the Metro are the top contenders.
We forgot to mention me & my wife work from home so daily commute isn’t a concern. We just want to be reasonably close to Downtown for the weekend concert or sports game.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:08 PM

157 posts, read 139,561 times
North side of Indy in either Broad Ripple or Washington Township.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:36 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,396 posts, read 4,644,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward59 View Post
Were looking closer to Indy. The south & western sides of the Metro are the top contenders.
We forgot to mention me & my wife work from home so daily commute isn’t a concern. We just want to be reasonably close to Downtown for the weekend concert or sports game.
I'm biased as I used to live there, but Avon, Brownsburg or Plainfield are all nice areas and offer a broad range of price ranges and home styles. Schools are excellent in these areas as well. Downtown is a quick trip on surface streets or via I-70.

The near southside (inside and near I-465) is pretty dated yet very stable and a good value if you're looking for an older home. Farther south as in Greenwood, Center Grove or thereabouts is newer, farther out from the city, but still very accessible downtown.

If you want more rural you can go southwest towards Mooresville and Martinsville and have a range of properties and land to choose from. Connectivity can be an issue in these areas, so be aware of that.

Good luck!

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis