U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 01:44 PM

146 posts, read 112,395 times

Advertisements

what is south indy like? is there an airport there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 06:55 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,396 posts, read 4,644,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie84 View Post
What do you consider "south indy"? The southside, Greenwood?

More details, please, if you expect an accurate response.

RM

Old 10-03-2020, 10:38 AM

29,333 posts, read 22,161,829 times
The airport is basically on the far southwest side of the metro. Overall, I'd consider it more working to middle class than the north side, but better than most places on the east or west sides. As Morton said, being more specific would yield a better answer.

Old 10-03-2020, 04:12 PM

Theoretically, there *is* an airport in Greenwood, but it's business jet and small plane size, not a commercial airport in the sense that there are schedule flights out of it.

Again that may not be what you're thinking of as "south indy", so until you clarify it's not relevant.

RM

Old 12-21-2020, 05:58 PM

205 posts, read 246,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie84 View Post
South side of Indy, meaning Perry Township, has nearly 20,000 Burmese people living there. I think Perry Township Schools (Perry Meridian and Southport HS) is 33% Asian this year, and the Asian enrollment will soon surpass the white enrollment (which is around 39%).

Southwest side is Decatur Township which is pretty poor and MSD Decatur Twp schools are ok, slightly majority white with decent size black and Hispanic enrollments. Southeast side is Franklin Township, which is growing significantly as it is entirely suburban in character with lots of farmland still to be developed. Franklin Township Schools sometimes get overlooked in the Indianapolis Metro Area because they're not Carmel level of good, but it's a good district and continues to grow. Diversity is growing in the township and schools.

The airport spans both the west/southwest side in Wayne Township and Decatur Township. Lots of warehouses on the west and southwest side.

Old 12-21-2020, 06:20 PM

Is the ethnicity of the people in Perry Township Burmese? I wasn't sure of this. I have a family member who retired from Perry Township schools last year and she remarked about a major shift in the recent past of the ethnicity of the enrollment, but what it was I didn't know.

I know Clark-Pleasant had issues with a large continent of a particular ethnicity some years back that really caused a lot of issue for them due to the district's inability to locate and provide enough translators for students and teachers.

Interesting. I wonder what made the area attractive to a particular culture?

RM

Old 12-21-2020, 09:02 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,043,953 times
From what I've heard, the Catholic church brought them here...and then didn't do much to help them integrate.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
From what I've heard, the Catholic church brought them here...and then didn't do much to help them integrate.
Probably much like the churches in MN and WI brought in the Hmong people in the 1980s?

Just wondered. I had a family member who was on the C-P school board at the time and I know it really caused some problems for the school district having to accommodate the influx of non-native speaking students. Locals told me there were other issues as well, because the students didn't participate in any extracurricular activities as the parents didn't want them assimilating. Good luck with that....

RM

Old 12-23-2020, 09:42 AM

1,164 posts, read 3,391,435 times
Here is a link to a good explanation of what is going on.
What it doesn't cover is the fact that Perry Township now pays higher property taxes than anyplace else in the state because of the necessity to enlarge the schools.
The term "Chin" sounds derogatory but it is not. They are from the Chin province of Myanmar (formerly Burma).
https://www.wishtv.com/news/getting-...%20Immigration.

Old 12-23-2020, 11:01 AM

205 posts, read 246,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
Here is a link to a good explanation of what is going on.
What it doesn't cover is the fact that Perry Township now pays higher property taxes than anyplace else in the state because of the necessity to enlarge the schools.
The term "Chin" sounds derogatory but it is not. They are from the Chin province of Myanmar (formerly Burma).
https://www.wishtv.com/news/getting-...%20Immigration.
Correct. The Chin Burmese are an ethnic minority in Myanmar and are mostly Christian, many of whom have fled Myanmar to escape religious persecution from the Buddhist regime there. Many of the Burmese in Indianapolis work in warehouses throughout the city/metro or in small businesses on the south side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis