Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 05:28 PM

7 posts, read 11,157 times

Advertisements

What’s the best small towns in Indiana for a couple to raise a child? Quaint downtown area is a must, kids that play outside, trails, parks, or public nature areas in town. Schools in town or very close by, so there’s no bussing to another larger town/city. Kids playing outside as a norm all year round is very important. I don’t allow my toddler on devices-she plays outside and I want that to continue throughout elementary school. Thank you and I hope to visit some towns next year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 06:50 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Winchester, Daleville, Rushville, Alexandria, Pendleton, Hagerstown are all nice little towns in East Central Indiana.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:47 AM

174 posts, read 243,627 times
These are not necessarily my ranking order of each town or part of the state just how they ended up getting organized in my head/numbered

Other options in Central Indiana area, I would add:
1) I second Pendleton from the previous post.
2)Danville -- they have really worked on their parks and improved those and the paths within the last 5 years
3) Franklin -- I've commented on this one in other recent Indianapolis/Indiana threads more in depth
4) Lebanon

For more of southern Indiana I'd say:
1) Nashville -- quaint town and Brown County Schools are pretty good, just be forewarned that spring-fall this area is a tourist mecca so it can get very, very busy. However lots to do and Brown County State Park right outside town and wineries galore. Nashville and surrounding area are one of the prettiest spots in all of the state IMO
2) Columbus -- though that's honestly a small city, but still a great community. Strong local economy and supportive community -- good parks
3) Jasper and Bedford --I don't know these last two as well, but have heard good things about them from friends from those areas and enjoyed the towns when I visited the area

1) Greencastle isn't really Southern or Central Indiana more West, but it's a good community that my mother has worked in or around for the last 20 years. The Depauw Nature Park is one of my favorite parks and just outside town. Depauw College provides events/things to do.

Northern Indiana. I'm not as familiar with The Region (near Chicago) so I'll avoid commenting on that area.
1) Kendallville -- This is where my wife grew up and we got married. It has a great lake/park (Bixler) right next to the town/surrounded by it. Also has the Mid America Windmill Museum. For the area/other small towns near it it has one of the better school systems and a nicely sized library for a town it's size. Also not far from 2 state parks (Chain O'Lakes and Pokagon). Short trip into Ft Wayne.
2) Logansport
3) Warsaw -- lots of lakes! Strong economy (at least in past that specializes in orthopedics)
4) Huntington and Angola (lots of lakes and pretty much adjacent to Pokagon State Park). Huntington and Angola both have colleges in them so again you have some other options to provide things to do around town. Most that I mentioned are also not far from Ft Wayne for some other fun activities like a great Zoo and children's museum and lots of festivals. Angola is also closer than any of these other towns to Toledo, Detroit/Ann Arbor, or Lansing for any time you want a 1 day touristy thing to do and get out.

Hope that's a good list as a starting point for you.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:16 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideMac View Post
These are not necessarily my ranking order of each town or part of the state just how they ended up getting organized in my head/numbered

3) Jasper and Bedford --I don't know these last two as well, but have heard good things about them from friends from those areas and enjoyed the towns when I visited the area

1) Greencastle isn't really Southern or Central Indiana more West, but it's a good community that my mother has worked in or around for the last 20 years. The Depauw Nature Park is one of my favorite parks and just outside town. Depauw College provides events/things to do.

Northern Indiana. I'm not as familiar with The Region (near Chicago) so I'll avoid commenting on that area.

I live close enough to Bedford that I used to shop there as frequently as I did in Bloomington. My daughter went to a dance school there for several years and there's a great orthodonist we used. It's a pretty enough area, but I don't think the OP would be happy there. The OP is kind of looking for Mayberry and Bedford isn't that. The downtown has a couple of newer, nice restaurants (if they survive), but not much else. Seems to be a lot of in your face religious types there and not really lots of parks, etc. There are some very nice people in Bedford, but also a lot of questionable people.

One of my in-laws grew up in Jasper. My brother's family lived there for a few years so I've been there a lot. Super clean town with a nicer downtown than Bedford. That said it's still kind of cliquish. Since my SIL was from Jasper they were fine, but there is still a snobbishness towards people not from Jasper among some people. It was a good place for my young nephews.

As far as NWI--any of the towns would probably be fine, but I think the OP is looking for a unicorn. Kids playing outside year round really isn't a thing in most places-especially in the Midwest. Certainly kids play in the snow (or at least mine did), but after a few days the novelty wears off and they're back inside.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:21 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,395,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHiestand View Post
Kids playing outside as a norm all year round is very important. I don’t allow my toddler on devices-she plays outside and I want that to continue throughout elementary school. Thank you and I hope to visit some towns next year!
Winters here are cold, cloudy and wet--not much good for playing outside. People tend to hibernate. To me, a cloudy day is just a cloudy day: put on some wool socks and get on with it...but even I prefer to stay inside.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I live close enough to Bedford that I used to shop there as frequently as I did in Bloomington. My daughter went to a dance school there for several years and there's a great orthodonist we used. It's a pretty enough area, but I don't think the OP would be happy there. The OP is kind of looking for Mayberry and Bedford isn't that. The downtown has a couple of newer, nice restaurants (if they survive), but not much else. Seems to be a lot of in your face religious types there and not really lots of parks, etc. There are some very nice people in Bedford, but also a lot of questionable people.

One of my in-laws grew up in Jasper. My brother's family lived there for a few years so I've been there a lot. Super clean town with a nicer downtown than Bedford. That said it's still kind of cliquish. Since my SIL was from Jasper they were fine, but there is still a snobbishness towards people not from Jasper among some people. It was a good place for my young nephews.

As far as NWI--any of the towns would probably be fine, but I think the OP is looking for a unicorn. Kids playing outside year round really isn't a thing in most places-especially in the Midwest. Certainly kids play in the snow (or at least mine did), but after a few days the novelty wears off and they're back inside.
Thanks for updating me on those towns. Since my friends grew up in the area that's probably why they always liked it, they had their clique and friends whenever they came back to visit. Their family was always friendly with me and the 2 times I went to Bedford and 1 time to Jasper were for specific events so obviously that'll sway my view in a positive way. It's also not like they are going to show me the bad parts of their town when I visited with them, just the parts that might impress.

I do agree that the OP is looking for a unicorn, heck even in the bigger towns and cities when you are in suburban neighborhoods you don't always see kids out that much. My kids and several of our next door neighbor kids play outside together all the time, but we comment how many other houses we know have kids we hardly see out. Some of that is I'm sure their family schedule for sports/activities, some is homework and some I'm sure is just other things to do in the house including TV or Video Gaming.

And yes while our winters aren't as brutal as MI, MN, or even WI most people don't want to go out much even if there is snow (except if sun is out) and SAD definitely affects people. I teach in a school and can't tell you how many kids are different during Jan/Feb versus the rest of the year. They are largely apathetic even if they are a good student, but as soon as the sun is out more and they can get outside they are back to having energy and engaging in class. Kids come to school in the dark and many times have maybe an hour (if it's not overcast) after school.

Having said that I think they could find a town that checks most of those boxes. Nothing will be perfect and what we may say isn't Mayberry enough for them could still fit their bill. I know that my family and I love the town we live in, but my BIL would probably hate everything about it. Just depends on what's important to you and what your background growing up is. We all idealize something from our childhood only to find out later that it really wasn't that great, but because of good memories associated with it we assume it was.

Old 11-14-2020, 04:37 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Winchester, Daleville, Rushville, Alexandria, Pendleton, Hagerstown are all nice little towns in East Central Indiana.
All these towns are nice, but some of them have suffered from the demise of the auto manufacturing sector in the rust belt. Many were nice small suburban towns of larger (but still smaller than major metro) urban centers. Richmond, Muncie, and Anderson, which have all taken a huge hit economic wise. The trend is people moving to larger urban centers for opportunity and many of these places won't be seeing their good young people return once they leave.

Of those listed, Pendleton is the only one I'd even consider to be suburban Indianapolis. Rushville maybe, but a slower drive as there is no interstate to that town, just US highway 52. Winchester to me would be the most "rural" feeling town.

If you choose places like this, be careful with how much you spend on housing. The areas are unlikely to see growth and a change in the economy could spell disaster for home values. Muncie only really has Ball State supporting it. Anderson is seeing little growth, but as SW Madison County grows, this could bring a few more industrial, warehouse, or manufacturing businesses to SW Anderson, which would help. Either way, anyone looking at this area should be careful about dumping too much in their home. For example, a nice all brick 2,200 sq. ft. ranch home on a crawl space would likely cost around $275K. Doesn't matter where the builder builds such a home, that is just what they are charging due to all their costs and profit margin. I'd never consider dumping that kind of money into a home in a flat-lined growth area anywhere.

Another E. Central Indiana town/city that I thought has some nice neighborhoods was Yorktown. It is a suburb of Muncie. Lapel and Elwood might be worth a look.

As far as kids playing outside alone, I'd make sure my kids were a bit older and it would be dependent on my living situation (small, detached neighborhood or actually in-town). There are too many drug addicts and sickos running around. Never know what someone is capable of and society no longer keeps people locked up nor provides mental institutions for the mentally ill.

Most of these places will likely have at park or two, but their larger anchor population centers will usually offer more larger parks and pathways (walking, biking).

Old 11-16-2020, 08:14 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideMac View Post

Other options in Central Indiana area, I would add:
1) I second Pendleton from the previous post.
2)Danville -- they have really worked on their parks and improved those and the paths within the last 5 years
3) Franklin -- I've commented on this one in other recent Indianapolis/Indiana threads more in depth
4) Lebanon

For more of southern Indiana I'd say:
1) Nashville -- quaint town and Brown County Schools are pretty good, just be forewarned that spring-fall this area is a tourist mecca so it can get very, very busy. However lots to do and Brown County State Park right outside town and wineries galore. Nashville and surrounding area are one of the prettiest spots in all of the state IMO
2) Columbus -- though that's honestly a small city, but still a great community. Strong local economy and supportive community -- good parks

1) Kendallville -- This is where my wife grew up and we got married. It has a great lake/park (Bixler) right next to the town/surrounded by it. Also has the Mid America Windmill Museum. For the area/other small towns near it it has one of the better school systems and a nicely sized library for a town it's size. Also not far from 2 state parks (Chain O'Lakes and Pokagon). Short trip into Ft Wayne.
2) Logansport
3) Warsaw -- lots of lakes! Strong economy (at least in past that specializes in orthopedics)
4) Huntington and Angola (lots of lakes and pretty much adjacent to Pokagon State Park). Huntington and Angola both have colleges in them so again you have some other options to provide things to do around town. Most that I mentioned are also not far from Ft Wayne for some other fun activities like a great Zoo and children's museum and lots of festivals. Angola is also closer than any of these other towns to Toledo, Detroit/Ann Arbor, or Lansing for any time you want a 1 day touristy thing to do and get out.

I will second Franklin, IN (on the south side). We live just north of Franklin now and have really come to enjoy the town. The surrounding area is pretty rural but the downtown/square is super cute with a lot of boutique shops and with it being a small college town it's really a nice up-and-coming area with a small town vibe. The only thing my wife and I find lacking is that there's no nearby target lol. It's a first world problem, but still.

Old 11-16-2020, 05:57 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I will second Franklin, IN (on the south side). We live just north of Franklin now and have really come to enjoy the town. The surrounding area is pretty rural but the downtown/square is super cute with a lot of boutique shops and with it being a small college town it's really a nice up-and-coming area with a small town vibe. The only thing my wife and I find lacking is that there's no nearby target lol. It's a first world problem, but still.
Heh.

We're returning to the Greenwood area as (working) snowbirds and have really enjoyed what we've seen in the short time we've been back. The southside, especially Greenwood and surrounding areas, has really upped it's game and become a far nicer and better appointed area than it ever was in the past.

This isn't a surprise to us as we've had family there for decades, so we've seen the transformation. However, actually living in it and being able to contrast it with when we lived there previously has really made things sink in and made us appreciate the changes.

An earlier poster mentioned Brownsburg, which is also a nice bedroom community of Indianapolis. We used to live on the north side of Avon, so we know Brownsburg well. I know lots and lots of small towns in central Indiana having traveled the area heavily for work, and I would say that there a a lot of places that might meet their needs - but not necessarily all of them. The OP needs to identify what's most important to them as far as living conditions and choose based on that.

RM

Old 11-17-2020, 10:55 AM

Sorry I guess when I posted I forgot that this was posted in the Indianapolis sub-forum. Giving you towns in other parts of the state besides Central Indiana probably was not super helpful.

I would add that while many of these examples are labeled as "towns" they will really be suburbs or essentially cities by population numbers and other factors, but have decided to remain labeled as towns for funding and other various reasons.

I still say Pendleton, Franklin and Lebanon are options.

The more suburb/almost city though calling themselves towns that I would add are in no particular order:

1) Brownsburg -- We call ourselves a town in name, but again I think this is more funding/rebranding costs to move to city status. Plus new political units to add and salaries like a mayor and such. We have like 20,000 and growing, but a great community. They are working on making the downtown feel more like a downtown, but there's not much to speak of in the old time sense of driving through a town and definitely not as quaint as others. Still feels like a small community though and lots of young families and parks/trails! For how much growth there is it still feels small townish when we attend the Farmer's Market or Blues and BBQ and many other events they have in warmer months. Great 4th of July parade. Helps if you are in a neighborhood in regards to being able to have kids play. When we do activities through the library with other kids close to our kids age we tend to see the same families over and over and have made many of our friends that way. Same with when we signed our oldest up for soccer in our community. So again that makes it feel slightly smaller than it is. We have lots of great parks and in the process of expanding them. Commercial is the biggest issue. It helps our small town feel that we don't have nearly the number of businesses, restaurants, and such that other communities do, but I also worry that will eventually lead to issues with regards to tax base and affording necessary infrastructure repairs and costs down the line. 74 going west to not as major of cities in Illinois as Chicago or St Louis and dead ending at 465 help cut down on the busy feel of other suburbs as less traffic on those highways in comparison. All the schools are within about a mile of each other so no matter where you live in the district it's about the same drive.

2) Plainfield -- Bigger than Bburg (30,000 ish?)and definitely way busier as they have many more businesses. They also have The Shops at Perry Crossing an outdoor mall open year round that brings in lots of business, but definitely feels busy. As soon as you get off the major roadways though it is night and day. Things definitely feel slower and residential. They have a phenomenal linear park system in that you can pretty much, if willing to bike or run the distance, can get from 1 park to the next going north/south on their bike paths. Bburg and Avon both are modeling our parks after that and working on connecting bike paths to theirs. When finished the White Lick Creek Trail will connect all 3 communities/parks, etc and be an awesome trail addition. They do have a much more downtown feel. It is very busy in that area. They currently have a plan to redo their downtown so that there are more green and common use spaces away from the major road along the White Lick Creek. Don't know timetable on that. The population in Pfield is much older, still lots of younger families, but schools and neighborhoods definitely seem smaller and you'll run into same families over and over if you have kids. 70 helps you get downtown quick, you are by the airport and west on 70 takes you to St Louis, that also means lots of traffic on 70 and at any exits off of the interstate. Again just in those areas does it feel less small town.

3) Zionsville -- Super pricey to live in this area, but about the best downtown you'll find. Whitestown goes to Zionsville schools and sort of mesh together, but feels worlds apart when you go through the neighborhoods there versus actual Zionsville. Have friends who live in the Zionsville part of it and they said while there ARE lots of really friendly, nice people, there is definitely more snootiness than in other towns/suburbs you'll find. Definitely small town feel in Zville proper. Whitestown is where all the commercial is and right off very busy I-65 so you live in Zville and shop in Whitestown. I-65 goes to downtown Indy or Chicago so again great for quick access. Bad for traffic. It does have a stretch just after LEbanon that is one of the highest crash areas in Indiana. The parks are pretty good though I feel underwhelming for how the area sells iteself. Starkey Park is a really cool nature park though a little harder to find compared to some of their other parks.

4) Franklin -- Again as Kluch mentioned downtown Franklin is great. For Franklin, as Kluch alluded to you will live there and there is commercial, but you'll go to do your shopping in Greenwood. Very much more laid back small town feel. I think it helps them having a small college to enhance their community and small town feel. Great jumping off point to get to Brown County State Park, one of the most popular in all of Indiana especially in the fall. They have some decent, but nothing real big park wise. Some really good older homes, but lots of newer neighborhoods too. I think you want kids playing year round you'll want to look more in the neighborhoods. Schools are definitely on the rise in a good way currently.

5) Greenwood -- offers a lot of great things, but also means it is super busy. They do have a downtown area that's a fun little visit, but definitely lots of traffic through there like most of the other mentioned towns. I think it is the biggest population of the towns/suburbs on this list. Very built out. Homes in so many different price ranges which is good, but definitely doesn't feel as small town as any other on this list. Greenwood Park Mall is similar to Perry Crossing in Pfield, but attracts much more car traffic than Perry Crossing.

6) Danville -- Definitely small town feel. I think smallest population of ones mentioned on here? For town their size have some decent park spaces. Really cool old theatre on their town square and Mayberry Cafe is a cool little diner. Use to have old school cop car out front until it was hit 2 times within 3 months of each other this past spring. Will continue to grow as Avon, Bburg and Pfield finish building out. A little harder/longer commute down 36 if you have to get to Indy.

7) Greenfield and New Palestine -- just to give you an option on the east. I don't know much about either. If memory serves me, New Pal doesn't really have even a downtown to it. Greenfield does, but again I don't know much on either, but would be my recommendations if you are wanting to look east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis