Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:35 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
If I wanted to take the time, I could name 50 stores that are on Michigan Ave. that Indianapolis doesn't have. And that's just Michigan Ave, not the whole city. There is a reason that many people say Chicago is the best city for shopping in the country outside of New York and Los Angeles.

SHOPPING - The Magnificent Mile - GNMAA
Sorry, but I've been up and down the Mag Mile several times, and I've mostly seen the same crap we have here. It's a nice avenue, beautiful in the winter, but I think Chicago overrates itself when it comes to shopping.

Last edited by grmasterb; 09-12-2011 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Sorry, but I've been up and down the Mag Mile several times, and I've mostly seen the same crap we have here. It's a nice avenue, but I think Chicago overrates itself when it comes to shopping.
1 word arrogance NYC had it in the 80s too

Old 09-12-2011, 08:16 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Sorry, but I've been up and down the Mag Mile several times, and I've mostly seen the same crap we have here. It's a nice avenue, beautiful in the winter, but I think Chicago overrates itself when it comes to shopping.
Ok, I didn't know we had Armani, Ralph Lauren, Neiman Marcus, Niketown, or Bloomingdales just to name a few. Maybe they're all in Brownsburg because I've never been out there before.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:38 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Quote:
Ok, I didn't know we had Armani, Ralph Lauren, Neiman Marcus, Niketown, or Bloomingdales just to name a few. Maybe they're all in Brownsburg because I've never been out there before.
Yeah, just head on down to Edinburgh with the exception of Bloomingdales of course.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Well first of all, IU is in Bloomington, Purdue is in West Lafayette, and BSU is in Muncie. None of these places are even in the Indianapolis Metro. On top of that, most of the top students at these schools leave Indiana when they graduate. A large number of the students that go to the universities in Chicago stay in Chicago, while the ones that come to Indiana leave. And apart from engineering at Purdue and Pharmacy at Butler, I don't see any of the fields you mentioned at the schools in Indiana being better than they are at the schools in Chicago.
You do realize, Bloomington and WL are both 45 minutes away (North and South) right? Brown county which is right next to Monroe county is part of the Indy CMSA. While the bulk of people in Brown county work in Monroe county, way more than working in Marion county, it's still part of the area. Kokomo isn't part of the Indy metro either even though more people go up to Howard county and vice versa than they do Madison County (Anderson).

They have a combined campus in Indy, Columbus and Fort Wayne. IU's MBA, Med School, Law School, Dentistry, Library and Information Sciences, School of Music are all top tier. Purdue Pharmacy is ranked 5th, actually higher than Butler. Jordan College of Fine Arts (JCFA) is one of the top fine arts departments nationwide and all of Purdue's sciences are ranked top tier along with Krannert School of Management and Veterinary.

If people were leaving Indiana after graduating, the city wouldn't be growing, the metro wouldn't be growing, so...obviously more people are staying than leaving. Do you seriously think Chicago doesn't lose people? There seems to be a bunch of them down here, in New York, in the Twin Cities area. More and more moving to Des Moines.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:59 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
They have a combined campus in Indy, Columbus and Fort Wayne. IU's MBA, Med School, Law School, Dentistry, Library and Information Sciences, School of Music are all top tier. Purdue Pharmacy is ranked 5th, actually higher than Butler. Jordan College of Fine Arts (JCFA) is one of the top fine arts departments nationwide and all of Purdue's sciences are ranked top tier along with Krannert School of Management and Veterinary.

If people were leaving Indiana after graduating, the city wouldn't be growing, the metro wouldn't be growing, so...obviously more people are staying than leaving. Do you seriously think Chicago doesn't lose people? There seems to be a bunch of them down here, in New York, in the Twin Cities area. More and more moving to Des Moines.
I'm still saying that other than maybe dentistry, pharmacy, and music the Chicago schools are better. And yes I am saying that people are leaving Indiana after graduating. Mitch Daniels has given speeches before talking about the problem of all the talented graduates leaving the state. Here's some research from BSU to prove my point:

More college students choose Indiana, but will they stay afterward? (http://www.bsu.edu/news/article/0,1370,7273-850-65386,00.html - broken link)

I didn't even know this, but Chicago is their first choice too once they leave lol.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I'm still saying that other than maybe dentistry, pharmacy, and music the Chicago schools are better. And yes I am saying that people are leaving Indiana after graduating. Mitch Daniels has given speeches before talking about the problem of all the talented graduates leaving the state. Here's some research from BSU to prove my point:

More college students choose Indiana, but will they stay afterward? (http://www.bsu.edu/news/article/0,1370,7273-850-65386,00.html - broken link)

I didn't even know this, but Chicago is their first choice too once they leave lol.
ya but as we have seen in the past few years after they move to Chicago the college graduates find it nearly impossible to find a job (Way to go Illinois how is that income tax hike working out?) And the Cost of living is 30% more for the same stuff. Gasoline thats 40 cents more in Crook County Illinois is not going to give me 30% more fuel economy compared to the gas in NWI. Milk in Chicago doesn't have 30% more calaroies or any more vitamins/minerals. Then after all that hits them in the face they move elsewhere and according to the Illinoispolicy institute the top 3 choices are Texas/Indiana (Go figure) and Flordia.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:38 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,015,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
. Circle Centre easily connected to the convention center and other parts of downtown.
The same Circle Center that is losing tenants and being over run with wanna be gang bangers? Oh yeah, that compares to Magnificent Mile

Old 09-14-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
The same Circle Center that is losing tenants and being over run with wanna be gang bangers? Oh yeah, that compares to Magnificent Mile
LOL so negative. Circle Centre only lost 1 store it still has a bunch inside and i like the Idea of Nordstrom moving now we can get a Bloomingdales in there or something like that.

lol nice in your face comeback Msamhunter

Oh tim FYI grow up and stop being an ingrate millions of people would love to have your job.

Last edited by Broadrippleguy; 09-14-2011 at 02:06 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Boy you know nothing about crime in Chicago do you? The mag gets more than its fair share of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis