Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 07:32 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
I hear you. Certainly, some put a lot of effort into fakery. I never got that stuff. That stems from an insecurity complex.
It's also a part of the class distinctions that have been in place in the area for decades. The Southside and more so Greenwood is considered "redneck" or rural. Bowling shirts and Budweiser. East and west sides are blue collar, although that's a carry over from many, many years ago when those areas were primarily factory workers. The "northside" was where the wealthy live, from the North Meridian corridor (old money) to Carmel and Fishers (new money.)

I haven't lived in the area for some time, with the exception of a short stint a few years ago. I've got relatives that still live there, and they've confirmed that things haven't changed a great deal in this regard.

One thing I'll say is that I continue to be amazed at how well the Southside has aged. I grew up there in the 70s and the neighborhood I lived in looks essentially no different for when I grew up there.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 11:29 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,129 times
Quote:
One thing I'll say is that I continue to be amazed at how well the Southside has aged. I grew up there in the 70s and the neighborhood I lived in looks essentially no different for when I grew up there.
It's probably better like that than if it changed a lot.

I think it was in the 80s when many started saying and hearing "Change is good". If change results in something that is less good that what it was before, change was not good in that circumstance.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:00 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Probably the biggest change on the southside is the influx of Chin migrants. Perry Township is now the epicenter of the country's biggest settlement of Chin refugees.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:36 AM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Probably the biggest change on the southside is the influx of Chin migrants. Perry Township is now the epicenter of the country's biggest settlement of Chin refugees.
Southport...went from 1.1% Asian in 2010 to 27% Asian in 2020 . 15% Asian in Perry Township overall which is higher than Carmel .

Heading to the Viet Hua on Stop 11 Road @ Madison Ave definitely felt a lot different than the one up near Castleton Square - it's like 90% Burmese at the Southside one (whereas the Castleton one is a mix of Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.)

Either way the only areas that doesn't feel as "redneck" in the southside would be White River Township (Center Grove Schools area) in Johnson County...but it's still not exactly a diverse area.

Old 05-05-2023, 07:05 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Southport...went from 1.1% Asian in 2010 to 27% Asian in 2020 . 15% Asian in Perry Township overall which is higher than Carmel .

Heading to the Viet Hua on Stop 11 Road @ Madison Ave definitely felt a lot different than the one up near Castleton Square - it's like 90% Burmese at the Southside one (whereas the Castleton one is a mix of Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.)

Either way the only areas that doesn't feel as "redneck" in the southside would be White River Township (Center Grove Schools area) in Johnson County...but it's still not exactly a diverse area.
It's funny that we're talking about Greenwood and the southside feeling more "Redneck". We lived in Franklin for 2.5 years and recently moved to Avon. Downtown Franklin is a gem and has it's own thing going on due to the University there, however my wife and I agreed that walking around Walmart in Franklin gave a distinctly more "backwoods" type feel, where most people were white but looked like they came from a country town. Whereas the walmart near us in Avon feels very diverse and much more like a "city" walmart where you're seeing people of different races and ethnicities. Just an interesting observation.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:42 AM

374 posts, read 257,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
It's funny that we're talking about Greenwood and the southside feeling more "Redneck". We lived in Franklin for 2.5 years and recently moved to Avon. Downtown Franklin is a gem and has it's own thing going on due to the University there, however my wife and I agreed that walking around Walmart in Franklin gave a distinctly more "backwoods" type feel, where most people were white but looked like they came from a country town. Whereas the walmart near us in Avon feels very diverse and much more like a "city" walmart where you're seeing people of different races and ethnicities. Just an interesting observation.

Franklin is definitely in the exurban category. My experience traveling to outer suburbs and exurban areas is always weird. Definitely, cultures clashing.

I can never miss how many outer suburban and exurban areas differ from the rest of a given metro area. It's like clockwork. Social engineering in motion.

Old 05-18-2023, 06:58 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,178 times
Once the interstate is completely done, Johnson and Morgan counties are likely to see a significant change. I think the Center Grove and Bargersville area will still be the high income area. One of the exits from IN-144 up to County Line road will likely see additional growth for housing additions and additional retail. The retail will likely be a large scale grocer (this general area is lacking, as most have to drive to Mooresville or over to IN-135 if I recall), additional gas stations, and small to maybe mid-sized strip malls. Will be interesting to see how things play out.

Old 05-18-2023, 08:03 AM

174 posts, read 243,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Once the interstate is completely done, Johnson and Morgan counties are likely to see a significant change. I think the Center Grove and Bargersville area will still be the high income area. One of the exits from IN-144 up to County Line road will likely see additional growth for housing additions and additional retail. The retail will likely be a large scale grocer (this general area is lacking, as most have to drive to Mooresville or over to IN-135 if I recall), additional gas stations, and small to maybe mid-sized strip malls. Will be interesting to see how things play out.
Agreed. That area will continue to grow like bonkers with several new exits and the reconfiguration of the interstate through there opening up more land to expand into. I think with that area already having a lot of estate and executive type homes and schools considered some of the best (factor in strong sports) and it will continue to attract the more well to-do to that area. They also have a TON of farmland that will eventually be developed into more homes or retail. The amount of square miles east of 69 and south 144/Whiteland Rd all feed into Center Grove district. Everything west of 69 is in flood zones, so not sure how much that will get expanded into and built up other than immediately west of 69, but that area is primed to take off even more now.

As rrampage and kluch both said "Franklin is definitely in the exurban category. My experience traveling to outer suburbs and exurban areas is always weird. Definitely, cultures clashing.

I can never miss how many outer suburban and exurban areas differ from the rest of a given metro area. It's like clockwork. Social engineering in motion."

Franklin I think is different from other towns/exurbs in that most small Indiana towns its town folk vs country folk (though most of their ideals, beliefs, etc are still fairly similar). Franklin has the fact that a college is there too to make it a different mix, especially politically, of university folk, town folk and country folk. There are definitely crossovers between some of those groups versus what you find in other towns/exurbs. It also is close enough that some people in Franklin work in Indy or other suburbs so you have some of the cross over there too. Compared to 10 years ago Franklin isn't as stand-alone as it used to be. It is an exurb in my mind, but moving towards being suburb of the Indy area. With that, many of those newer neighborhoods are still conservative-leaning, but more moderate conservative compared to rural people in the area. The university folk are going to be more left-leaning. The town people will depend on age most likely from there. Definitely a different mix than if you look at like a Shelbyville or Greenfield in the same general area and about the same distance from Indy (no university obviously).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis