Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 04:43 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
Seems like more Hoosiers have pride in being a Purdue or Indiana grad (and/or maybe those fortunate who had the grades/money to go to Notre Dame).

A lot of people have pride in their hometown pro or university teams. With Purdue and IU not being in Indianapolis, the Colts not being what they once were, and the Pacers stuck in good but not great territory after not being able to get over the hump when PG was there, maybe the pride of being from Indianapolis isn't that strong in part due to that. Idk.
I'd recommend anyone that thinks there's no civic pride in central Indy to drive around Center Township and count the number of city flags hanging on porches. Not Colts flags, not Indy Eleven flags, tho you'll see those too. Just the city flags. I think there is plenty of city pride.....in the actual city. The demographic of this sub skews suburban, where there isn't the same sort of pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 09:10 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Even though Indy has IU, Purdue, Ball State, etc. in the area, I feel that Ohio State more or less defines Columbus in a lot of ways. Maybe it's because I'm an Ohio State grad but I feel like Cbus has more pride in it's city than Indy. I don't mean that as a dig against Indy. Indy is cool in it's own right (I mean we live here now). But Having spent a lot of time in Columbus during college I always felt like people really took pride living in central Ohio whereas that's not always true here in Indy. Could just be me.
The southern parts of the sprawled Indy metro are about an hour from IU. It's roughly the same from Zionsville to West Lafayette with traffic. Ball State is a tad closer in Muncie, but then you have to go through 465 traffic hell in the suburbs, and it's honestly not that much closer.

IUPUI downtown and Butler are far more influential to Indy day-to-day. Indy just isn't a college town in the way Columbus is. It's where people go to find a job after college.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:03 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,178 times
There is plenty of pride in the suburbs, it just isn't as tied closely to the ruling governmental authority. In the suburbs, the area pride is more closely tied to the schools. The schools make the area. There are plenty of area pride flags and displays when you consider this factor. I wonder just how many of the parents likely don't even have plans to stay in the area once the kids are grown and gone?

There is a lot more civil focused pride in the downtown and surrounding areas of Indy. I don't even know if I can describe it. It seems these folks tie their life much more closely to the government unit than those in the burbs. They have a vested interest in the entire aspect of the city, not just schools. Thus, they are more likely to fly civic flags rather than school flags.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
There is plenty of pride in the suburbs, it just isn't as tied closely to the ruling governmental authority. In the suburbs, the area pride is more closely tied to the schools. The schools make the area. There are plenty of area pride flags and displays when you consider this factor. I wonder just how many of the parents likely don't even have plans to stay in the area once the kids are grown and gone?

There is a lot more civil focused pride in the downtown and surrounding areas of Indy. I don't even know if I can describe it. It seems these folks tie their life much more closely to the government unit than those in the burbs. They have a vested interest in the entire aspect of the city, not just schools. Thus, they are more likely to fly civic flags rather than school flags.
Oh I think you know how to describe it. How many American flags do see hanging in front yards, on bumper stickers, and on jumpsuits in Hancock County? American exceptionalism is quite prevalent out in the hinterlands, or so I am told. You're already on record on this forum of stating that you don't like the city all that much. It doesn't really come as a surprise you'd take veiled shots at us while hiding behind that "I don't know what I'd call the government worship that exists literally everywhere but you're brand I don't care for and totally doesn't really exist anywhere else."

Old 03-16-2021, 09:45 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Oh I think you know how to describe it. How many American flags do see hanging in front yards, on bumper stickers, and on jumpsuits in Hancock County? American exceptionalism is quite prevalent out in the hinterlands, or so I am told. You're already on record on this forum of stating that you don't like the city all that much. It doesn't really come as a surprise you'd take veiled shots at us while hiding behind that "I don't know what I'd call the government worship that exists literally everywhere but you're brand I don't care for and totally doesn't really exist anywhere else."
I still keep WTHR and the other news stations in my Facebook news feed.

I saw a news story where four people were killed in Indianapolis recently over an argument that started over stimulus checks. WTHR cited stats from the Indy Police Fraternal Order where 3.5 people in Indy, daily average, all year long, have been stabbed or shot. A homicide occurs every 1.5 days within the city limits.

There are lots of cool places within the city limits and I know a lot of people there. Still, those numbers are really bad. It's hard to put a positive spin on that, and it reinforces the want to be in the suburbs.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I still keep WTHR and the other news stations in my Facebook news feed.

I saw a news story where four people were killed in Indianapolis recently over an argument that started over stimulus checks. WTHR cited stats from the Indy Police Fraternal Order where 3.5 people in Indy, daily average, all year long, have been stabbed or shot. A homicide occurs every 1.5 days within the city limits.

There are lots of cool places within the city limits and I know a lot of people there. Still, those numbers are really bad. It's hard to put a positive spin on that, and it reinforces the want to be in the suburbs.
3.5 per day is still less than 1% of the population of the city over the course of a year. Add to that the fact that the majority of those people are involved in illegal activities, the odds of just anyone being shot or stabbed is tiny.

Isn't weird how when there is a domestic dispute involving people of color in the city, the story is "oh crime is out of control the city so scary", but the story when there is a domestic dispute in the suburbs is "oh I can't believe this what a tragedy." You'd agree that is weird right?

Old 03-17-2021, 05:21 PM

4,416 posts, read 2,938,422 times
Quote:
3.5 per day is still less than 1% of the population of the city over the course of a year. Add to that the fact that the majority of those people are involved in illegal activities, the odds of just anyone being shot or stabbed is tiny.

Isn't weird how when there is a domestic dispute involving people of color in the city, the story is "oh crime is out of control the city so scary", but the story when there is a domestic dispute in the suburbs is "oh I can't believe this what a tragedy." You'd agree that is weird right?
Crime is statistically higher in the city and among “people of color.”. Fold your race card and learn the facts.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Crime is statistically higher in the city and among “people of color.”. Fold your race card and learn the facts.
If you're going to quote me, you should at least answer the question. Some people watch Fox and clutch their pearls in the burbs, and some us live in the city day to day unencumbered by the day's bleeding lead story.

There are all sorts of reasons people choose to live wherever they live. In my experience, as someone who has lived in Central Indy for a decade plus, the reasons to avoid much of the city don't have much to do with crime at all.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:27 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times
Quote:
If you're going to quote me, you should at least answer the question. Some people watch Fox and clutch their pearls in the burbs, and some us live in the city day to day unencumbered by the day's bleeding lead story.

There are all sorts of reasons people choose to live wherever they live. In my experience, as someone who has lived in Central Indy for a decade plus, the reasons to avoid much of the city don't have much to do with crime at all.
Along those lines, I'm curious as to what has caused or is causing the decline in the center city. Some years back when the mall was done and a lot of the development took place I was really excited to see this, as I could recall downtown and the surrounding areas from the 60s-70s when no one went there and it was truly dangerous as far as crime.

Now I see a lot of retail vacating the area and loads of businesses and storefronts shuttered. Why? I realize there were some events last year that caused some of this, but much was already taking place before that.

??

RM

Old 03-18-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Along those lines, I'm curious as to what has caused or is causing the decline in the center city. Some years back when the mall was done and a lot of the development took place I was really excited to see this, as I could recall downtown and the surrounding areas from the 60s-70s when no one went there and it was truly dangerous as far as crime.

Now I see a lot of retail vacating the area and loads of businesses and storefronts shuttered. Why? I realize there were some events last year that caused some of this, but much was already taking place before that.

??

RM
Circle Center was in need of a refresh or reimagining pre-pandemic. In an era of shopping malls declining in popularity, it is tough to be a destination mall in a downtown that isn't as empty as it used to be.

Apart from that, the pandemic and subsequent unrest was tough on downtown. The core is still in recovery mode, and maybe hosting NCAA tournament helps. Areas like Mass Ave and Fountain Square never really bottomed out in 2020 the way the core of downtown did. In fact, Bottleworks opened and that east end of Mass Ave is more vibrant now than it has been in decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis