Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2022, 06:18 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times

Advertisements

I don't know about IUPUI, but my diploma says University of Colorado. Nothing about which campus I attended, nor do I recall any interviewer ever asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 06:32 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Not after your career is established but it will matter when searching for your first job. And your first job is the hardest to get.
You're just wrong on the whole IUPUI bashing, give it up. The degrees don't say IUPUI and job recruiters don't care if you went to a satellite campus.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:18 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,007,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
You're just wrong on the whole IUPUI bashing, give it up. The degrees don't say IUPUI and job recruiters don't care if you went to a satellite campus.

I would have to agree. I attended Ohio state and I've never once been asked if I attended a satellite campus (of which OSU has many) versus the main campus in Columbus. I don't think most companies/recruiters care all that much where you got your degree from with the exception of if the job you're being hired for is in a very specific industry, such as aerospace engineering... or something very technical. I'm in IT and having a degree at all these days is becoming less and less of a requirement (assuming you have other hands on experience in the industry). IUPUI isn't Ohio State, nor is it trying to be, but I think it's a good school. I had a few friends from my graduating class in high school go there for specific degrees.

Old 06-07-2022, 12:06 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I would have to agree. I attended Ohio state and I've never once been asked if I attended a satellite campus (of which OSU has many) versus the main campus in Columbus. I don't think most companies/recruiters care all that much where you got your degree from with the exception of if the job you're being hired for is in a very specific industry, such as aerospace engineering... or something very technical. I'm in IT and having a degree at all these days is becoming less and less of a requirement (assuming you have other hands on experience in the industry). IUPUI isn't Ohio State, nor is it trying to be, but I think it's a good school. I had a few friends from my graduating class in high school go there for specific degrees.
I do think that having a degree from a prestigious school matters. At least in my case , the job I got in 2005, a couple of years later I was told from one of the managers who'd interviewed me that Purdue was a factor.

But I don't believe anyone cared or would care which campus I'd attended - be it W. Lafayette, Indy, Ft. Wayne or Abu Dhabi if that was a thing, Purdue is Purdue.

Old 06-08-2022, 05:42 AM

928 posts, read 499,496 times
Wow, what a rant on the school system! Can we talk about something else? The weather, entertainment, restaurants, cost of living, good neighborhoods, singles scene, etc?

Old 06-08-2022, 02:24 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Restaurants: I use Yelp a lot to weed out ones with problems. If you want to impress, Gallery Pastry Shop's two big locations downtown do five course event dinners that are pretty spectacular for a special occasion. Any of Cunningham's locations can be counted on to be consistent and have good servers. Livery is our go to place downtown for cocktails and appetizers. Nesso for Italian.

Best croissants in town: Circle City Sweets at the AMP. Second: Landlocked in Irvington or maybe Leviathan on College and 11th.

Good neighborhoods: downtown because that is where I am. But love the surroundings of Herron Morton, Cottage Home, Holy Cross. Be careful of flipped houses that are pretty but the pretty covers problems. I do not know Fountain Square but it is really changing fast. Depends on what you need like schools for kids, how far you want to be from groceries (drive or walk?) etc.

Weather: We have everything. Downtown does not get some of the bad storms due to the movement of the storms around the city itself.

Entertainment: We now have two art movie theaters downtown (Bottleworks Living Room) or close (Kan-Kan) and many entertainment activities. All the sports venues downtown are open and have games. Convention Center puts the conventions at our doorsteps.

Old 06-08-2022, 06:40 PM

24 posts, read 16,755 times
Weather: Yes

Entertainment: I'm a concert guy so I'll focus on venues. The Fieldhouse is big but the sound quality depends heavily on the act. Elton John and Trans-Siberian Orchestra sounded absolutely amazing there, but the heavier the music, the rougher the sound quality. Most of the best shows I've ever seen were at Deer Creek Music Center (Ruoff). Just don't sprain an ankle getting crazy on the steeply pitched lawn! Murat Theatre is my absolute favorite venue. The Egyptian Room is great to see a heavy band, but the most unforgettable shows were seeing bands like Yes and Dream Theater in the Theatre due to the incredible sound quality. Best sound quality of any decent sized venue, except probably the Circle Theatre, which used to do rock concerts in the 80s but hasn't in a long time. The Slippery Noodle Inn is an iconic, legendary blues bar that is a must-go-to-at-least-once. The Vogue brings in the occasional gem. Most underrated venue is probably the Rathskeller. The Emerson Theater has extreme metal bands, moshpits, etc. and is still known to attract some big name bands, if you're into that music! Saw the Stones at the 500; wish the track would do more shows as it proved to be an above-average venue and I've always loved the staff (the Yellow Shirts!). Going to see a show at TCU Amphitheater at White River State Park restaurants in a few weeks; I've heard it's great as well.

Restaurants: I'm going low-to-medium end places I like to eat lunch at when I'm working in that part of town. Tony's on 116th west of Keystone, Bbi Cafe at 59th and Georgetown, Yanni's Golden Gyros on West Washington, Burrito Joint at Morris and Tibbs, India Palace at 38th and Lafayette Rd, Brewskies Pub at Southeastern and Fisher, and my favorite is Heidelberg Haus at 42nd and Pendleton Pike.

Cost of living: Going up but still not too crazy. I've traveled around the Midwest quite a bit lately, and in my opinion we are doing as good as or better than anyone else in the region in this category.

Good neighborhoods: I'm going off the beaten path and citing lower-middle class examples that I'm very familiar with. Eagledale and Chapel Hill aren't bad neighborhoods, nor is Decatur/Valley Mills area (everything W of Mann Rd, S of Kentucky Ave). Wanamaker and Mooresville are still decent towns, as well as New Palestine, and they haven't seen anything like the explosive growth of places like Westfield or even Greenfield. Beech Grove has gritty spots but overall is a pretty nice place.

Singles scene: ALWAYS good here, just gotta get out there! Neighborhood bars are great, downtown and Broad Ripple are always happening, but sometimes dives are the best. There are records spinning, open mics, dance floors, and wandering eyes all over town.

Last edited by Last Second Larry; 06-08-2022 at 06:50 PM..

Old 06-09-2022, 10:32 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
They are also, in most cases, not going to care.

Correct. Just like they won't care if it comes from IU Northwest or IU Fort Wayne.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:45 AM

377 posts, read 274,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
They are also, in most cases, not going to care.
https://career.iupui.edu/outcomes/in...e%20employment.

https://kelley.iu.edu/recruiters-com...orted%20status.

https://www.purdue.edu/gradschool/pr...ters_stat.html

IUB Average starting salary for Finance $70,970 + sign on bonus
IUPUI Average starting salary for Finance $51,794

Purdue Mech Engineering average starting salary $78,589
IUPUI Mech Engineering average starting salary $60,543

Companies do care and the companies with the highest paying positions recruit from more reputable schools for entry level positions.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:56 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,007,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
I do think that having a degree from a prestigious school matters. At least in my case , the job I got in 2005, a couple of years later I was told from one of the managers who'd interviewed me that Purdue was a factor.

But I don't believe anyone cared or would care which campus I'd attended - be it W. Lafayette, Indy, Ft. Wayne or Abu Dhabi if that was a thing, Purdue is Purdue.

I think the degree can matter dependent upon the position you're trying to secure. However I think as time goes on it matters less and less. Yes, if I was applying for a position at Google (right out of school) it would matter. But in my industry (IT, data analytics, programming) it seems to matter less and less from my experience. I graduated in 2012 and it felt like a bigger deal then than it does now. I have friends that broke into this industry within the last 5 years (who have very good/stable jobs) by attending local tech schools in their area. As time goes on I feel there's less emphasis on where you got your degree and more on your experience and ability to learn/grow/tackle difficult problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis