Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 02:35 PM

928 posts, read 499,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
Then what's your plan if it doesn't crash like 2007-2009? Rent forever? You can easily google the causes of the 2007 crash and none of those causes exist today. You might be waiting forever or only get a 5% "crash". Then what?

As far as bidding wars. I found a sellers agent to be my buyers agent and thats how I got my house before it was listed. She represented both the seller and me and got to give the sellers a discount on her fee.
Stuck renting for 6 months at a place I don't like. Competition not only for buyers but also rentals. This will be tough. Every place we tried to rent, after immediately applying, was taken by someone else. Unreal. Carmel is nice, but is it worth this much hassle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 03:21 PM

24 posts, read 16,731 times
Carmel might actually be okay if it weren't for the Carmelians/Carmelites. The place is basically an overly weed-and-fed, bland, boring flat mass of grass, filled almost to the brim with literally the snootiest and most stuck-up suburbanites in the entire state, who enjoy paying an HoA hundreds per month to measure their "redneck" neighbors' lawns' grass heights and fine them for it being 3/8 of an inch too tall. Petty cops, ridiculous courts, copious amounts of ordinances, and a very sterilized and uninteresting place through and through. Not to mention the spoiled kids and their 2000 square foot finished playground basements which flood all the time.

If I really wanted to live in some fancy suburb I'd pick Zionsville over Carmel in an absolute heartbeat. More interesting real estate, historical downtown, and way cooler and more down to earth people, for the most part. Obviously this is a hyperbolized Southsider opinion so take it with a chunk of salt.

Last edited by Last Second Larry; 07-29-2022 at 03:32 PM..

Old 07-29-2022, 08:38 PM

928 posts, read 499,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Second Larry View Post
Carmel might actually be okay if it weren't for the Carmelians/Carmelites. The place is basically an overly weed-and-fed, bland, boring flat mass of grass, filled almost to the brim with literally the snootiest and most stuck-up suburbanites in the entire state, who enjoy paying an HoA hundreds per month to measure their "redneck" neighbors' lawns' grass heights and fine them for it being 3/8 of an inch too tall. Petty cops, ridiculous courts, copious amounts of ordinances, and a very sterilized and uninteresting place through and through. Not to mention the spoiled kids and their 2000 square foot finished playground basements which flood all the time.

If I really wanted to live in some fancy suburb I'd pick Zionsville over Carmel in an absolute heartbeat. More interesting real estate, historical downtown, and way cooler and more down to earth people, for the most part. Obviously this is a hyperbolized Southsider opinion so take it with a chunk of salt.
Wow, now I feel like I will hate it. Unfortunately, seems to be the only choice for the high school, or at least my wife thinks so. Ugh.

Old 07-30-2022, 05:47 AM

377 posts, read 274,487 times
Quote:

I live in Fishers but have never heard anyone say anything bad about Carmel and I know people who have lived there. I find Carmel beautiful and fun and Its the most desirable city in Indiana. "ridiculous courts"? Have you spend a lot of time in court? For what??

Old 07-30-2022, 09:06 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
Wow, now I feel like I will hate it. Unfortunately, seems to be the only choice for the high school, or at least my wife thinks so. Ugh.
I think the previous post was a bit harsh. I think Carmel overall is very nice. Yes, it tends to get a bad rap due to the type of people that live there, which, is somewhat deserved. Given that Carmel consistently ranks as one of the top places to live in the state (and even the nation in some polls), it attracts very "ritzy" type people (those coming from the coasts with lots of cash on hand, etc.).

I probably would pick Zionsville over Carmel though. But that's just me.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:07 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,989 times
Bargersville is the next "Fishers"
Center Grove Schools

Old 07-30-2022, 07:57 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:

Zionsville and Carmel have very similar demographic profiles in a number of cases, and Zionsville now has a higher median household income than Carmel:

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...iana/PST045221

Old 07-31-2022, 05:13 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
Carmel isn't as bad as Larry makes it sound. I'm sure there are issues, but overall the area is nice. Is it worth the price to live there? My whole issue with Carmel is that the city isn't fiscally conservative, despite being ran by Republicans for years. The city actually has a lot of debt and at some point, that debt will have to be paid back or the city will suffer. If one wants their community to be thought of as a fancy Chicago suburb, with that will come Chicago metro area tax rates, in some form or another.

The issue with Carmel schools is that I don't think the district has ever considered a second high school. Some believe this solely has to do with sports. That the district really wants their sports teams to have the best chance of getting a tournament caliber team year after year. School districts that do this will end up with a high school so big, some kids will get left out of extra-circulars that have a numbers cap. Hamilton Southeastern Schools were smart to build a second high school. A handful of years back they were even talking about a very small third high school, that would be focused for academically gifted kids.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:12 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
Bargersville is the next "Fishers"
Center Grove Schools
It just needs a whole foods lol.

That is a nice area though. We drive through there at least once a week, often just to go to target or for other shopping needs. It definitely feels a tad more "premium" than some of the other greenwood areas.

Honestly, this is a completely different subject but I wish Franklin would get a Target. It has the potential to be a really nice area. I mean... it already is nice (the downtown specifically - it feels like Noblesville in a way) but for certain shopping needs you have to come north into Greenwood/Bargersville.

Old 08-01-2022, 08:38 AM

377 posts, read 274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
It just needs a whole foods lol.

That is a nice area though. We drive through there at least once a week, often just to go to target or for other shopping needs. It definitely feels a tad more "premium" than some of the other greenwood areas.

Honestly, this is a completely different subject but I wish Franklin would get a Target. It has the potential to be a really nice area. I mean... it already is nice (the downtown specifically - it feels like Noblesville in a way) but for certain shopping needs you have to come north into Greenwood/Bargersville.
I visited Franklin for the first time recently and was impressed with the downtown. I couldn't believe how big it was for a city its size. I always had it in my head the Franklin was some podunk small town with nothing but cornfields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis