U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2021, 07:36 PM

22,500 posts, read 39,133,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
It's comparable to Whole Foods.
Price wise, is Fresh Thyme better than Whole Foods?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 08:43 PM

2,177 posts, read 1,126,576 times
I haven't compared prices between them. My main strategies for saving money on food are avoiding restaurants and expensive cuts of meat.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:55 PM

7,608 posts, read 7,654,673 times
Trader Joe’s is just weird with where they open up. They say it’s based on median income but if that’s the case they would have opened in Northwest Indiana years ago. They have been losing out on a big market there. The Schererville Whole Foods is always packed.

Yet they opened up in a dumpy area south of Seattle with a much lower median income.

Whomever is making the decisions they aren’t that bright IMO. Honestly, I’m not a huge fan of them other than a few specific products I can’t get elsewhere. I have one down the street but only go maybe twice a year. I will take Whole Foods any day and go there 1-2 times a month.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:21 PM

2,177 posts, read 1,126,576 times
Trader Joe's has a more convenient location than Fresh Thyme, being right off the highway, but there's not much of a meat selection. It's mostly a hodgepodge of quirky packaged products, whereas I mostly cook real food from scratch.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:23 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,597 posts, read 4,812,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Trader Joe's has a more convenient location than Fresh Thyme, being right off the highway, but there's not much of a meat selection. It's mostly a hodgepodge of quirky packaged products, whereas I mostly cook real food from scratch.
^^^^^
This.

I never saw the value in Trader Joe's. It's full of weird, funky products, few of which I really cared for. Two Buck Chuck? No thanks.

As with the previous poster, most of our food is cooked from scratch. We don't buy pre-packaged or prepared foods, so that rules out a lot of the products at Trader Joe's. Like Whole Paycheck, I think a lot of the attraction is driven by social pressure more than anything else. I can shop Kroger and other mainstream groceries, get things that are just as high quality, and do all my shopping at one location for less money. This makes far more sense to me.

As someone who knows a grocery buyer for a major national chain, I do realize that places like Whole Foods are more selective about things like produce and turn those over much faster than traditional grocers, however, that's not enough to motivate me to make a separate trip and pay more for what little gain it might provide.

RM

Old 04-09-2021, 06:31 AM

8,458 posts, read 15,085,832 times
We shop at Trader Joe's sometimes, and while it is true they have a lot pre-packaged items, it isn't just a symposium of pre-packaged stuff. "Social pressure".....bruh we're talking about grocery stores here. No one is social pressuring people to shop at Trader Joe's. They have some good stuff.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:11 AM

22,500 posts, read 39,133,615 times
Trader Joe's has very competitive/low prices on some organic and gluten-free items a win/win in my book. That is the main reason why I will go there, however, the only location near southern Indiana is in in Louisville, not exactly super convenient.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:47 AM

7,835 posts, read 13,753,421 times
These type stores both contribute to class divide, and hinder access to healthier Food options for Americans. They set up in higher income locations, regions and for many are far and few between locations. Its not surprising many have never had the chance to shop in these stores.

I have several neighbours from Indiana that have never been in either. Yet they would like them in their area of Indiana. Same here in Florida. They only set up where there is a higher income. Even though the few times I have been in them down in Orlando 75 miles away. I found better buys than our Rip off monopoly of a grocery store Publix. So it's a Shame both stores don't try a new concept. Try opening locations closer to a more varied clientele.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:29 AM

1,054 posts, read 964,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
^^^^^
This.

I never saw the value in Trader Joe's. It's full of weird, funky products, few of which I really cared for. Two Buck Chuck? No thanks.

As with the previous poster, most of our food is cooked from scratch. We don't buy pre-packaged or prepared foods, so that rules out a lot of the products at Trader Joe's. Like Whole Paycheck, I think a lot of the attraction is driven by social pressure more than anything else. I can shop Kroger and other mainstream groceries, get things that are just as high quality, and do all my shopping at one location for less money. This makes far more sense to me.

As someone who knows a grocery buyer for a major national chain, I do realize that places like Whole Foods are more selective about things like produce and turn those over much faster than traditional grocers, however, that's not enough to motivate me to make a separate trip and pay more for what little gain it might provide.

RM
I would have to agree. In my OP I mentioned Whole foods and Trader Joes but my wife and I actually much prefer Whole foods, mainly because when we go to Whole foods we're not shopping for our entire grocery list of items (like we would at Kroger, Meijer or Aldi).

Usually we're just picking up supplements, lotions or other organic food or supplemental items that only Whole foods carries (stuff you usually have to buy on amazon or elsewhere online but it's much nicer to walk in and just pick it up).

Trader Joes, in my experience, is much more hit or miss, sometimes they have a great deal on something, other times not.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:04 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,597 posts, read 4,812,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
These type stores both contribute to class divide, and hinder access to healthier Food options for Americans. They set up in higher income locations, regions and for many are far and few between locations. Its not surprising many have never had the chance to shop in these stores.

I have several neighbours from Indiana that have never been in either. Yet they would like them in their area of Indiana. Same here in Florida. They only set up where there is a higher income. Even though the few times I have been in them down in Orlando 75 miles away. I found better buys than our Rip off monopoly of a grocery store Publix. So it's a Shame both stores don't try a new concept. Try opening locations closer to a more varied clientele.
I'm in Florida most of the time, and here's my take on Publix:

Yes, they're expensive. However, their stores are clean, well lit, well stocked and staffed. They offer a wide range of choices and have a good house brand and very good produce.

But -

Brand name products I can get elsewhere, such as Walmart, for far less. Publix plays the marketing game very, very well. Sure, you can come in and grab their BOGO stuff, but the minute you buy that box of Cheezits for $4.50 you've blown your savings because the same box of Cheezits is $2.50 at Walmart.

I play their game using their own resources, that is, I use their phone app to search BOGO items that are of interest to me and shop for those and those only. I buy nothing else from the store, so essentially, I'm beating them at their own game. That's not my motivation for doing it - I only buy stuff I need that's a BOGO. I might go there once or twice a month, if that.

RM

Last edited by MortonR; 04-09-2021 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis