U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 69 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Going through the interview process for a job in Indianapolis and looking for recommendations on neighborhoods/suburbs to check out as I would be relocating if offered and accept the position.

I am 40, a single man, with no children. Looking for something with a decent night life of local bars, restaurants, coffee shops, but would prefer to stay away from areas with college kids. Young and middle-aged working professionals are just fine - ie late 20s-60. Anything with an arts/music district would be cool. Something with decent or great crime statistics. Affordable housing/rentals. Something with parks/nature/walking trails. Walkability to shopping, coffee, and restaurants is important as well. Politically I am left-leaning, so neighborhoods/districts/suburbs that are more left-leaning would be ideal, but I have friends from both sides of the political spectrum, so it isn't mandatory. Farmers markets, festivals, community gatherings, etc would be nice as well.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 12:21 PM

132 posts, read 96,953 times
Downtown area I'd look at Mass Ave area. Very safe and lots of restaurants, bars and happenings. The neighborhoods surrounding it are fairly gentrified. It will most likely be more costly for this location. Fairly short walk to any of the major attractions, concerts or festivals that are downtown.

Carmel or Fishers (crazy traffic) may have your other most "night life" feel/ amenities without being college-y. Many other suburbs are starting to incorporate their downtowns into apartment or home living with nearby restaurants and bars, but not on par with those two. Carmel has an arts district and the Paladium. Plus Monon Trail right through the middle of that area. It is close to shopping.

I live in Brownsburg and we just about 4 years ago added some mixed-use development to our downtown. It is nice. Apartments above, 4 restaurants below. So some night life but not alot. If that works for you I'd look at Brownsburg. Those mixed-use are right next to our main park where they have summer concerts and are less than half a block from our Farmer's Market.

Broad Ripple is a cool little area and desirable for many young professionals if you stay north of 38th and don't get much farther east than Keystone. However the night life area of this, while diverse, feels more college-y than Mass Ave. It can also turn sketchy very quickly. My wife lived at 56th and Carrollton for awhile before we got married and where she was located was a really nice area. You could still walk to Broad Ripple downtown on the Monon safely. There was a nearby grocery and restaurants/bars without having to get into downtown Broad Ripple. Traffic can be crazy in this area during rush hour, especially without quick access to an interstate.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:05 PM

2,204 posts, read 1,147,880 times
This is a disparate wish list--low crime, low cost, urban amenities, rural amenities--if you could name your highest priorities, we could direct you better.

That said, Irvington has a little of everything you're looking for and it's only a 15-minute drive into downtown.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideMac View Post
Downtown area I'd look at Mass Ave area. Very safe and lots of restaurants, bars and happenings. The neighborhoods surrounding it are fairly gentrified. It will most likely be more costly for this location. Fairly short walk to any of the major attractions, concerts or festivals that are downtown.
To clarify for the OP, Massachusetts Avenue generally refers to the street west of the interstate. East of the interstate, Massachusetts Avenue has some high-crime areas.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:41 PM

132 posts, read 96,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
To clarify for the OP, Massachusetts Avenue generally refers to the street west of the interstate. East of the interstate, Massachusetts Avenue has some high-crime areas.
Yes correct. Thank you for clarifying. Mass Ave west of interstate. Forget sometimes newbies to Indy might need more accurate/specific details.

Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM

4 posts, read 69 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideMac View Post

Carmel or Fishers (crazy traffic) may have your other most "night life" feel/ amenities without being college-y. Many other suburbs are starting to incorporate their downtowns into apartment or home living with nearby restaurants and bars, but not on par with those two. Carmel has an arts district and the Paladium. Plus Monon Trail right through the middle of that area. It is close to shopping.

I live in Brownsburg and we just about 4 years ago added some mixed-use development to our downtown. It is nice. Apartments above, 4 restaurants below. So some night life but not alot. If that works for you I'd look at Brownsburg. Those mixed-use are right next to our main park where they have summer concerts and are less than half a block from our Farmer's Market.

Broad Ripple is a cool little area and desirable for many young professionals if you stay north of 38th and don't get much farther east than Keystone. However the night life area of this, while diverse, feels more college-y than Mass Ave. It can also turn sketchy very quickly. My wife lived at 56th and Carrollton for awhile before we got married and where she was located was a really nice area. You could still walk to Broad Ripple downtown on the Monon safely. There was a nearby grocery and restaurants/bars without having to get into downtown Broad Ripple. Traffic can be crazy in this area during rush hour, especially without quick access to an interstate.
I appreciate all of this information, thanks so much!

Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM

4 posts, read 69 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
This is a disparate wish list--low crime, low cost, urban amenities, rural amenities--if you could name your highest priorities, we could direct you better.

That said, Irvington has a little of everything you're looking for and it's only a 15-minute drive into downtown.
I suppose you are correct-quite the wishful thinking.

The highest priorities would be somewhat near arts, local restaurants/bars/coffee shops, and walkability to said establishments.
Middle priority would be low crime and parks/nature and farmers markets.
The lowest priority would be low cost and little-to-no college students.
Very very low priority would be more liberal districts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Today, 06:19 AM

Downtown (either Indy or Carmel) would be best for being near arts and restaurants, bars, etc. Downtown Indy also has the City Market and now the Bottleworks. For everyday grocery shopping, though, there's a Whole Foods and Needler's Fresh Market; Needler's has a True Value hardware store in the same shopping center. You can also order meat, eggs and sometimes produce direct from Fischer Farms, a family farm in southern Indiana. They make weekly drop-offs at Goose the Market north of downtown.

Can't think of many parks downtown, but they have the canal and the Cultural Trail.

Marion County (basically Indianapolis) votes Democrat, but people here tend to be middle-of-the-road politically.

Old Today, 10:33 AM

4 posts, read 69 times
Thanks so much for this info. I will definitely check out these areas. While I am left-leaning, I do like political diversity and am accepting of most viewpoints, so I like the middle-of-the-road mentality without having the ultra extremes on either side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis