Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2021, 07:28 PM

123 posts, read 233,411 times

Advertisements

Hello,

my Father passed away last summer, and I am going to Greenfield the week after Christmas to pack up his house. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do with all his stuff?

1.) I need to dispose of several old mattresses (the frames will be accepted by Goodwill.) I don't know if there is a city dump where the mattresses can be taken, or if I can leave them on the driveway to be picked up by some local pick up service, later on, for a fee.
2.) I need furniture hauled away. I am not sure Goodwill will accept it. My father was a cigar smoker. So, probably not. Anyway, to the dumpster we go...
3.) I have very old file cabinets that could probably attract a metal collector, but not sure how to get in touch with one. Do I post it on the 'free' section of Craigslist?
4.) Do you think I could get several extra green garbage bins from the town to put trash into? Mostly old cereal boxes or boxes of pasta etc. from the pantry.
5.) I can't afford to rent a dumpster from a dumpster rental service. I already paid $800 towards a UHaul truck to get my Mom's moveable, non-furniture stuff out of there.
6.) Does anyone know of a service that will come and put the furniture on a truck and take it to the dump for me? For a fee?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I pretty much want to give all their stuff away or throw it away, but since it's coming from a cigar smoking house, probably not much is acceptable. Oh well.

Thanks in advance,

H.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 07:44 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
I don't have specific answers for you but a suggestion. There is a facebook page for Greenfield called the Greenfield Gabber. If it's similar to FB pages for my town, you'll probably get all the answers you need. I feel confident you can find someone to haul things off for you or take it.

Sorry for your loss.

Old 12-22-2021, 06:18 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
I don't know what trash company services Greenfield (Republic, Waste Management, etc) but usually for a fee they will come pick up bulk items like mattresses, couches, appliances, without having to rent a dumpster. I have no idea what they charge, though.

Old 12-22-2021, 08:41 AM

74,155 posts, read 1,836,662 times
I live in Greenfield you might go to this wed page they sometimes take things.

Contact Us | St. Michael Catholic Church (stmichaelsgrfld.org)

Or call them 317-462-4240

Hope this will help you.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:29 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
I don't know what the codes are in your father's neighborhood, but anything metal placed on the curb or in the alley should disappear in short order.

I would call the city or Hancock County to ask what can be put out for trash. (Here in Marion County, we have a monthly heavy trash day.)

Keep in mind that anyone who does cleanouts very cheaply is probably dumping the stuff illegally.

Old 12-30-2021, 02:35 PM

24 posts, read 16,800 times
If you do end up needing a dumpster, there is a dumpster service called "Bin There Dump That" that are affordable and offer extremely good customer service (very unusual for garbage business). Dealing with Ray's or Republic feels more like dealing with a government bureau than an actual company. Greenfield has historically been Republic territory but Fisk is also there so they each might have territory.

However my recommendation is that your first call is to a junk removal company. I've worked with 1800GOTJUNK and Fire Dawgs and have had absolutely zero complaints. There is a lot of junk in this city and these are established companies that stay busy. You might end up paying a similar amount or less and performing far less labor if you go this route.

If you end up in a really tight spot, send me a message! Might be able to come through and help out. I might even be interested in the filing cabinets if they are fireproof, and possibly some hardwood furniture even if smoked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis