Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 10:46 PM

24 posts, read 26,633 times

Advertisements

I'm going to have to move in August and I'm considering Irvington and Little Flower neighborhoods as well as Mapleton-Fall Creek, Pennsylvania south of 38th. I currently live in the northern area of Indy but the rents are becoming impossible here.

Can anyone recommend apartments in those two areas that aren't $1,000 for a 1br like I'm seeing in many other neighborhoods? Or property management and landlords I can contact?

I have a few companies I've been looking at:

Stallard & Assoc
Barrett & Stokely
Red Door Prop Mgmnt

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 02:47 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
Van Rooy has a large group of downtown area apartments.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:37 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,398,593 times
Among all of those neighborhoods, I would choose Irvington for being quiet and safe. I don't know what they're charging for rent, though.

There aren't any apartments in Little Flower--it's all single-family homes and doubles.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:53 AM

I've so far only looked at their website for info and the prices I saw were $900 and above which above my budget. But I'll give them a call and see if there's other apartments not listed.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Among all of those neighborhoods, I would choose Irvington for being quiet and safe. I don't know what they're charging for rent, though.

There aren't any apartments in Little Flower--it's all single-family homes and doubles.

Thanks for the info on Little Flower. If a duplex is the right price than I wouldn't mind that. Do you happen to know any realtors/property mgmnt co's that may focus on these?

Old 05-25-2022, 04:47 PM

Sorry, I don't know any. You might pick up a Weekly View to see if anyone has a place advertised.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:51 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Irvington is a hip urban neighborhood with a lot of character.

I'd be careful anywhere around 38th. It has a bad rap for a reason.

Old 05-26-2022, 07:29 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Like a lot of things, that bad rap exists because cities are nuanced and nuance is to complicated for most people to understand. Sure, a lot of 38th St I wouldn't want to be along. East 38th St once you get past the fairgrounds heading east passes through some of the most disadvantaged areas of the city.

However, OP specifically mentioned "Mapleton-Fall Creek, Pennsylvania south of 38th" which is not an area I would say to blanket avoid. Mapleton Fall Creek is an improving area in general. Watson-McCord which is within MPC is already a nice stable neighborhood. I have friends in the neighborhood, a lot of beautiful old houses that sell for $300K and up. I had a single female friend that used to live in at apartment on Meridian St about a block south of 38th. She lived there a couple of years, never had a problem.

I'm not saying the area is perfect, and I know not everyone wants to live in the city. However, what I am saying is that for the most part people's worries about that area are driven by an overblown sense of fear regarding areas they've not spent much time in.

Old 05-26-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Irvington isn't hip or urban. Maybe you're thinking of Fountain Square or Lockerbie.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Thanks, I've lived here for 8 1/2 years and Irvington was one of the neighborhoods I had looked at when I first moved here. I'd have moved there but found a better deal with where I'm at now but my family-owned complex has been sold to an out-of-state prop mgmnt co and they're making a mess of things plus raising rents to an impossible price.

As for Fall Creek, I appreciate your concern and I'd have agreed with you back in 2013 when I first looked at the area. It has changed a lot and I've done a lot of research, including speaking with various people who live in the neighborhood. I've lived on my own for 20 some years in various states and cities so I feel very confident that I'll be a-ok should I move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis