Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 06:45 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times

Advertisements

For wood furniture, check out the Amish/Mennonite furniture makers that have big shops in Shipshewana, in northern Indiana. That stuff is solid! wood, smooth as glass, will last a lifetime and keep its value. They will also do custom work.

Give me locally crafted over Chinese every day.

For custom made cherry furniture check out The Sampler in Homer, Indiana, there is not a better place than The Sampler

We tried to get a bedroom set at auction and it went for over $3,000. Wonderful stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,396 times
Check out HomePlex Furniture on 82nd Street. They blow everyone out of the water when it comes to quality. I also got free delivery on my Sectional.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:17 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
As someone who built custom hardwood furniture for nearly 20 years, the first place I would go in Indy is Kittles. If they don't have what you want, go north to the Amish and get something made to your specifications. There is also a wonderful furniture maker down by Oldenburg (I think) that makes fantastic stuff, but again, you'll pay a premium for it.

Hardwood furniture is an investment. If you're going to buy crap/junk at Rooms to Go or Ashley, you're going to get particle board and stapled stuff. I'm not trashing it, as I never made furniture for my children's rooms - they got throwaway stuff that would last through their formative years. When they were close to graduation from high school I would take them out to some high end furniture stores like Kittles and let them have the run of the place to pick out a design. When they found something they liked, I would photograph and measure it and make it myself with my own design touches.

The last bedroom set I made was for my youngest, and it consisted of a king sized bed, headboard and a tall chest of drawers made from Honduran mahogany. The stock alone cost me nearly $1000, but when I finished it the pieces were probably worth $3000-$4000 if we had bought them outright.

These are pieces they will have for the rest of their lives. Money well spent.

RM

Old 09-04-2016, 07:04 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
If you want quality furniture the best thing to do is go to Asheville, NC and have it shipped. The shipping isn't as expensive as you might think and you will get better quality furniture than you can find anywhere in the Indy area.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:45 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,102 times
I like Houseworks

Old 09-26-2016, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,396 times
Default HomePlex Furniture

HomePlex only sells USA hardwood furniture. They are by far the best quality in Indianapolis. Thier upholstery is made in North Carolina. And their bedroom and dining room furniture are made in Ohio and also Indiana. I go through their store about once a month just to look at the furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis