Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 02:31 PM

19 posts, read 100,878 times

Advertisements

I see lots of places for rent on both of these streets. When I was there last i remember landing in the 38th and college area and not being too happy. I saw places online that looked cute, but when I actually got there and saw the neighborhood, I was very disappointed and worried about safety. I have seen many properties advertised in the 4000 block of Central Avenue and quite a few starting about the 4000 block of College Ave as well. My question is what is the safe starting point on these streets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 05:45 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,472,848 times
I like Central better from 40th north (I cannot remember 38-40 quality). It is in the center of Meridian Kessler and there is a lot of renewal and family homes. Surrounded by nice housing. In either area, there still can be the spotty house though but fewer on Central. College is still a work in progress and can be very very spotty. You have to go a little farther north on College.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:09 AM

891 posts, read 2,449,285 times
It is rather amazing how things change along that area. Within a few blocks you go from one of the worst neighborhoods in the city to one of the nicer, and I do mean in just a few blocks. Illinois and Meridian, Penn and Central change at about 49th - a huge change. College changes more gradually in fact from 44th to 46th street college is pretty nice on the west side of the street and not so nice on the east side of thre street. Overall though on college you probably need to get north of 52nd street

Old 06-03-2008, 09:06 PM

19 posts, read 100,878 times
The place I am considering is on Central between 40th and 41st. College Ave has several places available. Could I walk my dog safely in these neighborhoods?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:29 PM

891 posts, read 2,449,285 times
Central at 40th is right on the border, I mean right on the border. I would have to go and see the exact location, but if I lived there, i would cetainly walk my dog north

Old 06-03-2008, 09:57 PM

23 posts, read 66,961 times
Default I think I'd chose Central

I would chose Central over College, and I would agree with the previous post about starting at at least 40th, although I'm not saying that below that is necessarily any more of a dangerous area. There is more traffic, I would say, on College, because of businesses etc., and that might make you feel more comfortable because there are more people around, but I agree that I would begin there at 44th. That area is Meridian Kessler, a great place to live, I lived in that area for over 10 years, and it was very special. I would be careful still anywhere, and anywhere in that area. My house was located on a block between 44th and 46th within that Central and College area you are interested in. Everyone knew everyone, and kept a very watchful eye out for everything unusual. Still, some unfortunate crime occurred. Vehicles broken into, items stolen from property, and houses broken into. Also, a few times, more violent crime occurred. I am not trying to frighten you, I just think being careful, especially after dark, would be a very good idea. I would definately move back there again, the area is just so great, but I would excercise caution, especially after dark, on either street.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,907 times
Can anyone comment on how this area might have changed the past couple of years...I'm wondering about Central around 40th in particular? Is it better or worse?

Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 AM

261 posts, read 500,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownbigtown View Post
Can anyone comment on how this area might have changed the past couple of years...I'm wondering about Central around 40th in particular? Is it better or worse?

40th and Central is on the fringe. To the north/west are some of the most beautiful (and expensive) homes in the city along Meridian St. But the neighborhoods directly east and directly south along the 38th corridor are pretty "rough", that's for sure. You'd be very, very, very close to some of the worst spots in the city.

Personally, I would probably pass on 40th and college. I'm not some paranoid person (I live in an urban neighborhood downtown), but 40th and College is just so close to so many iffy spots.

Check out the Indianapolis homicide map. Homicides tend to give fairly accurate representations of the overall crime level in a neighborhood.

Interactive: Marion County homicide map | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,190 times
If you're going to be on the South end of Meridian Kessler near 40th, Central west to Meridian is hardly a "bad" area...it's just too close to everything that is so wonderful/desirable about MK. Washington Blvd is just two blocks (one city block) West of Central and you can't even get a piece of property on that street for <$350K (most are $400K+), INCLUDING the 38th-40th blocks. This area has always been "stable" and the parts along Central I would describe as "dodgy" (if I'd even call it that) continue to improve. I can speak for fact as I live in this area (3800 block of Ruckle, which is one block East of Central to be exact). I feel the need to speak up because people who don't know otherwise seem to speak out on this forum. To say that even 38th/Central is close to "one of the worst spots in the city" as indy18 has suggested is just simply untrue. I live there and I can speak from personal experience.

The whole area from 42nd/Central SE to 38th/College is one of the hottest areas in MK right now. Investors have been beautifully restoring houses left and right and the area is constantly improving, dramatically in the past few years. The majority of the homes needing work have been passed down between family members, so while an eyesore...the people are nice/hard-working and most important... it is stable (not a lot of people moving in/out). I have lived in my home for two years and do not feel unsafe. I also don't walk around with my head up my ass either by going for walks alone at 10PM in the evening - that's just not smart in any "urban" area.

Sorry for the long post, venting a little frustration...people need to get off the 38th Street is bad mentality...especially as it relates to the part of 38th between Meridian/College. But 40th/Central is just fine...College/40th is turning around, but nowhere near as stable/safe as 40th/Central. I know they don't seem too far away from each other, but my overall point is...go West of Central at 40th and drive up/down the N/S streets. Go East of College at 40th and drive up/down the N/S streets...the drive will speak for itself.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:14 AM

114 posts, read 358,361 times
I have a question for Angel2animals.

I have had difficulty in finding sites where I can find apartments for rent other than the corporate (VanRooy, Stallard, rent.com apartment.com and the rest of those).

I've tried Craigslist also with very limited success.

Could you share your sources of finding individual apartments for rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis