Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:31 AM

11 posts, read 54,290 times

Advertisements

Wondering about good appliance stores in the Indy area, other than the big chains like Best Buy, Lowe's, and Home Depot. I will be looking to purchase a reasonably priced but energy efficient refrigerator when I move to Indy in July.

I'm also considering craigslist but with the advances that have been made in energy efficient technology in the last 5-10 years I'm thinking buying new might be a good idea on this one.

I would love any thoughts on reliable, trustworthy, local appliance stores, preferably close to downtown. Places that might have late-model used fridges? (I've always been a renter and haven't bought an appliance before.) Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 11:38 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,311 times
Lowe's will almost certainly have the best prices and a good selection.

You don't want to buy a used fridge, you really don't. People get tired of their new car and get rid of it after a couple years. No one does that with a refrigerator that works well, they just put it in the basement or garage until it either completely stops working or it gets so old that they don't want to use it any more. I wouldn't want a fridge that someone rescued from the junkyard and threw a new compressor in.

And if you don't want a lot of special features (built-in water and ice dispenser, sliding doors, side by side, all glass bins, separate climate controls, etc.) a good refrigerator isn't all that expensive.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:34 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
We had a terrific experience at Clark Appliances in Castleton. They also have a store in the Greenwood area.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:49 PM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
We had a terrific experience at Clark Appliances in Castleton. They also have a store in the Greenwood area.

I would second that. I would look at Clark for sure

Old 06-18-2008, 07:19 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
what does Clark Appliances do for you that Lowes and other places don't?

whoever you buy a new appliance from, I'd be extra cautious about who they have deliver it. I witnessed a new freezer being delivered the other day. When the delivery men took it off their truck, it was all scratched up and had dents and damage. Someone obviously manhandled it. When the damage was pointed out to the delivery man, he said "Oh, the store was supposed to have called you about the damage this morning." Then he took out a small bottle of touch up paint and started to try to touch up all the dings and scratches.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 06-18-2008 at 07:28 AM..

Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
what does Clark Appliances do for you that Lowes and other places don't?

whoever you buy a new appliance from, I'd be extra cautious about who they have deliver it. I witnessed a new freezer being delivered the other day. When the delivery men took it off their truck, it was all scratched up and had dents and damage. Someone obviously manhandled it. When the damage was pointed out to the delivery man, he said "Oh, the store was supposed to have called you about the damage this morning." Then he took out a small bottle of touch up paint and started to try to touch up all the dings and scratches.
I liked their in store service. We weren't in there buying top of the line stuff, I just wanted a new fridge. The salesguy treated us like we were their best customer of the day. Their delivery people were extremely careful too. There were a few angles and corners to deal with and they didn't ding or dent a thing.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:57 AM

11 posts, read 54,290 times
I see online that Clark also has an outlet center? Any experience with how the prices on a basic, energy efficient fridge there stack up against a national chain (like Lowe's, etc)? I don't need anything fancy but I do try to support local businesses when it is feasible for me to do so.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:21 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
Unlike Lowe's and many other stores, Clark Appliances doesn't publish prices online.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:45 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Another Clark's fan here. They did carry several brands that the national chains did/do not carry, and were extremely helpful in the decision making process. I also trusted their installers far more than I would have trusted an installer from a chain. I knew the installer was specially trained for this appliance as the brand listed them on their website as an approved supplier. I can't say that about Lowes. I also did not pay anymore than I would have elsewhere, but I was purchasing an set of kitchen appliances. The guy at Lowes could not understand why I might want one brand for my oven and another for my dishwasher. He kept trying to sell me a "set" of all one brand. Clarks fully understood why my dishwasher is one brand, oven another, etc.

Too bad their Bloomington store shut down. Whenever it's time for certain new appliances it will be worth the trip up to Greenwood or Castletown.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:00 PM

I had an issue with the "fell off the back of the truck" dishwasher that the previous owner of our house installed. Clarks was incredibly helpful and ordered not only the little part that was missing, but downloaded an entire manual for free ... that was aces in my book.

We also had good luck with HHGregg too. After said "feel off the back of the truck" dishwasher died, HHGregg brought a new one over the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis