Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:27 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times

Advertisements

Check out Van Rooy Apartments website. Now dont go for the Christian Park ones. There is an issue with drugs and such mentioned. However, there are some great ones in Chatham Arch near Mass Ave. which is a great area. Wide variety of buildings. I specifically like the ones downtown.

I really like The Pennsylvania, totally remodeled(met the couple that originally did all the work), Garden Arch great location, The Madison close to me, Vermont Place (right downtown) and fully remodeled, etc. so check them out.
All of these would be walking distance from your job and close to the library.

The ones Van Rooy has at the low end, must be checked out to see if remodeled but some of these are in the middle of the historic Northside next to 1/2 million mansions and the area is generally quiet and green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 07:19 PM

102 posts, read 413,780 times
Temporarily, The INNTown Suites on 86th St and Michigan (where I stayed for weeks) is down to 159.99 + tax ~per week. = ~$ 181.00. NWest side....but there are others. I had no problems while there for many weeks..! Good luck..
I'm Moving up here permanently in 2 weeks as well..!!!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:54 AM

109 posts, read 407,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BigBear View Post
Temporarily, The INNTown Suites on 86th St and Michigan (where I stayed for weeks) is down to 159.99 + tax ~per week. = ~$ 181.00. NWest side....but there are others. I had no problems while there for many weeks..! Good luck..
I'm Moving up here permanently in 2 weeks as well..!!!!!
Thanks brother! I put my hat down at the studio 6 in fishers already the rate was $31 and change a night which I thought was respectable. I don't plan on being there for the entire two weeks.

I have found other apartments in the south part of Indy and I'll post them when I get to work.

Tuscan Pointe on 1451 E. Southport Rd. looked rather nice. I can't take the ratings on it to heart since I haven't see nor been there. Anybodies opinion of this place?

Driving directions to work from this location only 20 mins, not bad.http://http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=1451+E.+Southport+Rd .+46227&daddr=1099+N+Meridian+St,+Indianapolis,+IN +46204&sll=39.666144,-86.128977&sspn=0.002251,0.004072&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=12

Like I said before .. I found more in the south that I could use an opinion on!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyforum View Post
Since you will be new to the area, you may want to check out: www.cort.com/housing/
They have a free service
(a live person) to assist you with locating temporary housing and also refer you to a mortgage co. and a buyer's realtor to assist you with your permanent housing needs.
Their local email address for you to provide your contact info. is:
kspirr@relocationcentral.com
I thank you for your assistance. But I cannot afford a house, I have nothing noteable for a down payment and even if I could I cannot afford the whatifs. You know .. the what if the roof fails, what if the pipes break. I'm one person supporting two people on a 46K salary. I didn't ask for my wife to fall sick and I try to find better work for more money so we can live better. Renting is an only option. This move is probably going to wipe out the little bit in my retirement but I need to do it.

I just hope and pray once I hit the ground in Indy that I can quickly find a descent, safe place that I can both afford and be happy in for quite some time! I got an extended stay for two weeks .. after that I have no idea what's going to happen!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:46 PM

In addition to my above post.

How much does water cost? I've never ever ever paid for water. It's alway been included in the rent here in NY. I see different places get their water from sources. So a ballpark figure would be nice!

Thanx!

Old 06-27-2008, 01:38 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
Each apartment will be different but water/sewer is usually included unless you are renting a house. Mostly it is electric and maybe gas that is in addition to rent. Although there could be a charge for garage parking, pets, etc.

I actually think you will find Indy a much "newer" city than Albany. Our grid streets and Interstate are easy to learn and make the city easy to navigate. We visit Albany once or twice per year and I have never liked it.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:55 PM

891 posts, read 2,450,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiggz View Post
In addition to my above post.

How much does water cost? I've never ever ever paid for water. It's alway been included in the rent here in NY. I see different places get their water from sources. So a ballpark figure would be nice!

Thanx!

I live iun an apartment and they charge extra for water and trash pickup and it runs about $20 per month

Old 07-26-2008, 10:09 AM

I'm here!

After a grueling 15-17 hour drive! Been in town since the 15th. I like it, alot! My wife is on shopping overload! She doesn't know which way to go!

We ended up getting a unit at Fountain Parc but have yet to move in. The folks don't move out till the 31st of this month and then they have to fix stuff. They told me that the 15th would be the move in date although I've talked to them since and they said it could be sooner.

I noticed that it's rather clean here. I haven't notice any remarkable amounts of liter anyplace. We still have 7/8th's of the city to explore yet and I don't think we've explored all of the north and north east yet.

I attached picture of the soldiers & sailors monument that I stitched together from 6 pictures. It was a bit bright that day not to mention like 96 degrees out. And like fools we tried to go up to the observation part where it had to be a stiffling 110+. It was HOT! Oh .. plus there's a nice skyline from the landmark bldg where I work.

Guess I'll be an Indy cheerleader now! Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Only complaint I have about the city is the newspaper. Don't these ppl ever report 'GOOD' news??? Every city has its share of senseless violence but dang they make an effort to make sure it's seen!

To all that have answered all my silly question over the past few months THANKS SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!

And people say I talk like I'm from New York City .. grrrrrrr!
Attached Thumbnails
I got my new job in Indy and I'm head that way in early mid-July!-soldiers-sailors-panorama-small.jpg   I got my new job in Indy and I'm head that way in early mid-July!-downtown-indy.jpg  

Old 07-26-2008, 10:14 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Well, you probably do and you should stinking well be proud of your accent!

Welcome welcome welcome.

As for the bad news ... well, it's been a tough July.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:18 PM

76 posts, read 277,037 times
So Mr. Biggz, I assume you are NOT from NYC? So whereabouts in NY are you from?

My husband grew up in central NY, and he was thrilled to discover how relatively mild Indiana winters are. We average 18 inches per year here; where he's from averages 180 inches per year.

I totally agree about the negative slant of the Indy Star; I swear they have people who live here convinced that Indiana has the worst schools, worst crime, worst EVERYTHING in the nation. The truth is, we're right about in the middle for most things...could be better, could be worse.

One thing we DO have (for three years in a row) is the most affordable housing in the nation (taking median income as a percentage of the median cost of a house).

Glad to have an Indy booster here; you'll find that the majority of Hoosiers have a real inferiority complex. You'll get tired of telling people you're from NY and getting the inevitable response, "Why on EARTH would you move HERE?!?!"

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiggz View Post
I'm here!

After a grueling 15-17 hour drive! Been in town since the 15th. I like it, alot! My wife is on shopping overload! She doesn't know which way to go!

We ended up getting a unit at Fountain Parc but have yet to move in. The folks don't move out till the 31st of this month and then they have to fix stuff. They told me that the 15th would be the move in date although I've talked to them since and they said it could be sooner.

I noticed that it's rather clean here. I haven't notice any remarkable amounts of liter anyplace. We still have 7/8th's of the city to explore yet and I don't think we've explored all of the north and north east yet.

I attached picture of the soldiers & sailors monument that I stitched together from 6 pictures. It was a bit bright that day not to mention like 96 degrees out. And like fools we tried to go up to the observation part where it had to be a stiffling 110+. It was HOT! Oh .. plus there's a nice skyline from the landmark bldg where I work.

Guess I'll be an Indy cheerleader now! Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Only complaint I have about the city is the newspaper. Don't these ppl ever report 'GOOD' news??? Every city has its share of senseless violence but dang they make an effort to make sure it's seen!

To all that have answered all my silly question over the past few months THANKS SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!

And people say I talk like I'm from New York City .. grrrrrrr!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis