Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:16 AM

295 posts, read 949,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I will say this, the only time I get defensive is when people are insulting to me about living in Indianapolis. I do not mind when people say they don't like Indianapolis. There are places I also do not like, it is all a matter of opinion. However, I have buddies from Chicago who are beligerant and condescending about it. When they cross the line from opinion to attacking, I will get defensive. I get defensive not because of their opinion per se, just the attitude, condesening and insulting nature of their comments. It is stuff like that which gets old and under my skin.
I interviewed with a recruiter from Chicago last year (I was in Indy at the time) and when I told her the story of how I got to Indy (also through a job) she said she couldn't believe I had taken the offer given how unatractive Indianapolis is (at least in her mind). I think she was just still a little mad about superbowl XLI .

On the other hand, the only reason I would not rate Indy as the best midwest city is sadly because the job market SUCKS there. Salaries are typically under the national average and there are not a lot of places to start -or continue- a career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,925 times
I just moved to Indy and so far I like it. The best in the midwest doenst matter to me as long as im happy where im at which is retty much anywhere. I grew up in South Miami and lived most of my adult life in upper Michigan with the nearest city being Green Bay and the nearest major city Milwaukee.

Apparently Indy was annoited the capitol of the state because of its central location. Being the Capitol is a significant cultural aspect that I am very aware of as i move through the city. Throw in the Speedway and the fact that this country has always been a mobile society and there is another significant cultural aspect thats not being given credit. Combine the auto racing with the fact that 4 Interstates converge on the "Crossroads of America" and that falls right into the wheel house of a moibile culture.

You can knock the fact that there are no major waterways but Indy doesnt have the obstructions that come with the natual barriers created by major rivers and lakes. While Chicago is the cultural center of the midwest Ive had the unfortunate opportunity to take the tollway through the place many times. From North Milwaukee to Gary Its a white knuckle, head on a swivel 2 hours of max stress. Ive been getting around Indy pretty good for the last month and find the city to be very intuitive with lots of options getting from point A to point B. Whether taking one of the interstates or major streets through town or going around on 465 it is an intuitive grid that if you make a mistake you can easily recover. This also falls into Indys Automotive culture and im finding it to be a very automobile friendly place.

Somehow Indy never lost its country roots. And for a guy that spent the last 30 years in remote upper Michigan its refreshing to find the remnants of those characteristics. Im living and working on the NE side of the city and looking at Acerage in Hancock county that is pretty reasonable and maybe a 30 minute commute. Its not as remote as from where I came but its nice to have the option when I decide to buy.

I enjoyed the Zoo and even the Dolphin show. While the exhibits are few and the place is kind of small it was quaint and a perfect day trip with my 3 and 4 year olds. The animals seemed well cared for and the special exhibit this summer is a Koala which I'd never seen before. Try to walk the Zoo in Miami and you better bring your hiking boots and a couple gallons of water.

The negatives are the same as any other city so why go into it. Indy isnt Chicago or NY but it seems like a nice fit for this country boy

so far

Old 07-01-2008, 10:46 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom13 View Post
I'm from Indianapolis, Indiana and I personally think that it is the best city in the midwest. But a lot of people from the city also think that. I want to know what people from different cities think.
Chicago is the best city in the Midwest, IMO.

Actually, I think it's the best city in the country when one weighs all the factors.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:57 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
I don't live in Indy, but I've been to every major city in the midwest more than once. Indy is cute, but not the best. Sorry.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:14 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I don't live in Indy, but I've been to every major city in the midwest more than once. Indy is cute, but not the best. Sorry.
Cute??? That's even worse than when I say "nice"

Old 07-01-2008, 12:29 PM

The problem with all the world class cities such as Chicago, Boston, San Diego, LA, NY and my hometown of Miami is the cost of living. Based on the cost of housing and other indicators a person can do OK in Indy on less than $50 thousand a year. On that income You'd be livin on the rough side of town in most of those other cities.

I grew up in the lap of luxury, learned to play golf on Key Biscayne from a card carrying LPGA pro, went deep sea fishing several times a year and bounced around the carribean at dads whim. But I wouldnt want to try and raise my family in Miami because the fact is I couldnt afford to live in the style to which I became accustomed having been raised there.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:55 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Wow bryan, you went from one extreme in Miami to being a yooper, is that how it's spelled? Anyway, glad you like it in Indy. It's nice.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:34 PM

Yes gurl i'd be a yooper and I used to get the same reaction from the folk up there about the move from S. FL. Im going to miss the place really but now with the youngins I have to do whats best for them and the economy up there is very difficult.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:43 AM

11 posts, read 54,280 times
You can find people in just about any city who will argue 'till their blue in the face about their city being the best (I grew up in the mid-west, spent a few years in Texas, and currently live in Buffalo, and wow there are some proud Buffalonians out there!) but I think it's most important to remember that every person has a responsibility for their own happiness and that you can build a life you love pretty much wherever you live ... Sure, some cities make it easier to find options (Chicago, NYC ... mostly the bigger cities) but the next time someone "dissing" your city starts to get to you try to take it with a grain of salt and find some satisfaction in your own ability to seek out and enjoy what the community around you has to offer. Just my 2 cents

Old 07-04-2008, 11:49 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Indy the best? Not close IMHO...Cleveland #1 hands down, followed by Minneapolis #2. I grew up in Indy, have parents who still live there, and am a diehard Colts fan...but once you move out of Indiana, you realize that Indy is extremely generic in its character. No ethnic neighborhoods to speak of, most restaurants (even the acclaimed ones) are to be found in strip malls or shopping centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis