Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 04:17 AM

369 posts, read 677,441 times

Advertisements

Due the state of the economy, things are rapidly changing. We are having people shot in killed in newer vinyl village neighborhoods that were corn fields five to ten years ago. This is in the far east side area, almost outside of Indy/Marion County. This same area was the victim of 50+ burglaries. About three miles south, around Cumberland, there have been 30ish burglaries. Ghetto morals and values have taken hold over the entire metro area. Even if these punks don't live in the area, our slap on wrist driving laws means they are willing to drive all over the metro area to victimize people.

It would honestly take me about 30 mins _and_ decent metro area map to explain where the bad spots are. Now, the urban cheerleaders here will scream how crime isn't that bad. They will make comments about how you have to act since you live in a city, etc. etc.. Pay them no mind. They are urbanism supporters, and anytime someone paints urban areas as negative, they get ticked off. Fact is, our major cities have third world counties contained within. The morals and values of a certain subset of the population, mostly those on or raised on various welfare programs, are so poor that they don't see crime as wrong. They could careless about sticking a gun in your face and taking your property. They could careless about kicking in your back door and taking your stuff. Just the way it is in major city America: We have lost control. Urban cheerleaders will scream we haven't, but we have.

The only advice I can give you is to not move into Marion county unless you want higher taxes, be located closer to where the homicides occur, and so so school districts (depending on where you live). If you move outside of Marion County, again, depending on where outside, you will get likely get better schools, possibly lower taxes, and most definitely a lower crime rate. All I can say is that anywhere you end up, factor in around $400 for an alarm system and $40/month for monitoring. PS: I would get a wireless system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 07:39 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,171,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
It would honestly take me about 30 mins _and_ decent metro area map to explain where the bad spots are. Now, the urban cheerleaders here will scream how crime isn't that bad. They will make comments about how you have to act since you live in a city, etc. etc.. Pay them no mind. They are urbanism supporters, and anytime someone paints urban areas as negative, they get ticked off. Fact is, our major cities have third world counties contained within. The morals and values of a certain subset of the population, mostly those on or raised on various welfare programs, are so poor that they don't see crime as wrong. They could careless about sticking a gun in your face and taking your property. They could careless about kicking in your back door and taking your stuff. Just the way it is in major city America: We have lost control. Urban cheerleaders will scream we haven't, but we have.
You are entitled to your opinion, it just gets tiresome hearing people who have never been to my neighborhood tell me how dangerous my neighborhood is; and I am not really talking about you specifically.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:46 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,122,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
All I can say is that anywhere you end up, factor in around $400 for an alarm system and $40/month for monitoring. PS: I would get a wireless system.

Isn't a home defense weapon a lot cheaper and more effective than an alarm system?

Old 06-18-2010, 02:29 PM

423 posts, read 1,242,781 times
As an admitted "urban cheerleader", some of us also try at least to have more balanced perspective. I would never expect that the city is right for everyone. But not all of us are as gripped by a paralyzing fear of crime, as is the case of one of our most verbose posters, whose hyperbole is insulting to the 800,000 who aren't seeking suburban living.

It is the attitude of the suburban cheerleaders, though, that has overwhelmingly led certain parts of Marion County into their current condition. Should this attitude continue, of fleeing problems rather than attempting to engage with them, don't expect things to change when "the hood" eventually migrates to Fishers and Brownsburg and, yes, even parts of Carmel.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:03 PM

95 posts, read 226,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
What about the are north of the castleton mall just right before you enter Fishers?

Those apartment complexes around 96th and allisonville (Autumn Woods, Woodbridge, Riverwood, etc).

How are those?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
Decent at best
Well, BU191433 is right. I've lived in this area since the fall of 2008. There are not any major crimes but apparently there was some breakins because the complex that i'm in put a letter on the door of every tenent saying there were breakins in the area.

It's a decent area...not good though.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:28 PM

780 posts, read 1,537,176 times
As all of you should no by now, Ravekid is somewhat of a paranoid extremist. The best way to deal with issues is to attack them head on, not put your tail between your legs and run.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:44 AM

369 posts, read 677,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, it just gets tiresome hearing people who have never been to my neighborhood tell me how dangerous my neighborhood is; and I am not really talking about you specifically.
I will be the first to say that the probability, at this time, is low in terms of "danger." I do think it is high to be a victim of theft/vandalism. The suburban areas are not immune for the city criminals either. One would think that suburban areas would be victimized by only the criminals out in those areas, but every time there is a burglary in my county, where a home owner is home and discovers the person, the culprit is usually from Indy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Isn't a home defense weapon a lot cheaper and more effective than an alarm system?
What good is a home defense weapon when you are not home? Your biggest threat at this time is being a victim of theft, which is out-of-control in the city, and now the suburbs. It is worse in the city, near high poverty areas, than in the burbs, but a lot of criminals have no problem driving out into the suburban/rural areas if they feel they can steal some high prices loot. The alarm serves two purposes: #1: To protect the goods you have and #2: To serve as a warning system if someone decides to make entry when you are asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnasty View Post
As all of you should no by now, Ravekid is somewhat of a paranoid extremist. The best way to deal with issues is to attack them head on, not put your tail between your legs and run.
I am not an "extremist." I have posted factual events, of which we all know I likely missed other gun-in-your-face robberies. Everyone claims Broad Ripple is safe, but there are likely 10-20 armed robberies in Broad Ripple every year. This isn't on the outskirts of Broad Ripple, but just off the main drag. Drunk victims are better to rob than sober ones. Not only that, it is theorized that only 1/3rd of all crimes are reported. Now for the burglaries, these are likely under reported because the victims likely had drugs and guns stolen, which they don't want to report to the cops. However, if there are 10 robberies in Broad Ripple reported, that could mean there are as many as 20 that are never reported. The little Carmel good girl isn't going to report a robbery if she has some coke in her purse.

Only time will tell how bad things are. I don't expect folks to agree with out-of-control crime until _they_ become a victim themselves. Most folks don't want to view the world as scary and dangerous, they would rather picture a blissninnie wonderland.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:24 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,122,222 times
[quote=Ravekid;14704234]

"What good is a home defense weapon when you are not home? Your biggest threat at this time is being a victim of theft, which is out-of-control in the city, and now the suburbs. It is worse in the city, near high poverty areas, than in the burbs, but a lot of criminals have no problem driving out into the suburban/rural areas if they feel they can steal some high prices loot. The alarm serves two purposes: #1: To protect the goods you have and #2: To serve as a warning system if someone decides to make entry when you are asleep."

That is when a good guard dog comes in very handy.

You are absolutely right about the boys in the hood ranging out for better pickings.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 06-21-2010 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: correct

Old 07-02-2010, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,742 times
Hello... my purpose for being on this forum is much different than most of you. However, I really think you can help me with what I am trying to accomplish. I want to know where the majority of the gangs, drugs, and crime in this city originate. Let me explain just a little bit. God has given me a ministry to take to these areas and let them know He hasn't forgotten about them. God wants me to reach out to the kids in these areas and start to make a change from the ground up. So please tell me where I can go to really make a difference for the city of Indianapolis.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:18 PM

4,096 posts, read 11,423,787 times
If you are really interested, you should attend any of the monthly community police meetings and they can go over the crime maps and give you all the data you could ever need.

I have gone and they dont seem to hold any punches. Good info is given out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis