Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 04:54 PM

31 posts, read 103,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiggz View Post
I moved here from NY. And I don't find it anymore dangerous here then there. First thing is know your surroundings, know what is going on around you. I see far too many people that wander about with these rose color glasses on and everything is honky dory. If you look like a target, act like a target then you'll become a target. It's all about perception!

The drug trade is going to be here. These fools will just keep doing what they do. It's unfortunate that sometimes people get caught in the crossfire. But that's what I read about the most. Well, other then the nutty drunk people that like to sword fight each other in their front yards (tragic ending).

My conclusion after being here almost a year is .. it ain't that bad!
Hey MrBiggz I'm moving from New York to Indianapolis soon. I obtained a job with the state there and I'm kinda excited about my pending move. Since you are a New Yorker, I wanted to get your take on the city since you've experienced it for a year. I'm cool the Midwest; I was born in Cleveland and I have spent alot of time with family there. My biggest concern is handling Indy weather, especially the harsh winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 05:36 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcutie View Post
Hey MrBiggz I'm moving from New York to Indianapolis soon. I obtained a job with the state there and I'm kinda excited about my pending move. Since you are a New Yorker, I wanted to get your take on the city since you've experienced it for a year. I'm cool the Midwest; I was born in Cleveland and I have spent alot of time with family there. My biggest concern is handling Indy weather, especially the harsh winters.
Indy isn't all that bad; try spending a fair amount of time in Gary and this city will be a cakewalk. On the serious note though, the roughest part of Indy is actually the Meadows area and not the swamp. Michigan and Rural isn't all that bad, it's over by Holy Cross and Woodruff Place. Woodruff is very nice and Holy Cross is almost completely gentrified. Angies List campus is in Holy Cross along with Ivy Tech's automotive center.

The person you are replying to is correct though. Criminals look for easy marks.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:14 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
New York City or State? different meanings. Also first thing youll notice is housing/taxes/cost of living is much more affordable in Indy. Also since were the fastest growing region in the midwest and one of the USA's too then expect some new neighbors soon
Be nice etc and youll get along with our cities residents just fine.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:56 PM
REM

368 posts, read 994,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Indy isn't all that bad; try spending a fair amount of time in Gary and this city will be a cakewalk. On the serious note though, the roughest part of Indy is actually the Meadows area and not the swamp. Michigan and Rural isn't all that bad, it's over by Holy Cross and Woodruff Place. Woodruff is very nice and Holy Cross is almost completely gentrified. Angies List campus is in Holy Cross along with Ivy Tech's automotive center.

The person you are replying to is correct though. Criminals look for easy marks.
The meadows areas isnt that bad ever since they took out those buildings I would say 42nd and post could give any "bad neighborhood" in the city a run for its money.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:46 AM

141 posts, read 316,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
The meadows areas isnt that bad ever since they took out those buildings I would say 42nd and post could give any "bad neighborhood" in the city a run for its money.
The Mozel Sanders projects were some of the worst in the city.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:14 AM

261 posts, read 500,769 times
Quote:

Indy is a tiny bit colder than NY but it's not by much:

Average Dec high/low: Indy 39/23 NY 42/28
Average January high/low: Indy 33/18 NY 36/23
Average Feb high/low: Indy 39/22 NY 40/24

Average Weather for Indianapolis, IN - Temperature and Precipitation

If you are used to Cleveland and New York then you'll be fine. I went to NY once in March when it was unseasonably cold and it was insanely windy. It was miserable. That's basically how it is here when it's cold. Indy is flat as a pancake and is thus an extremely windy place. The breezes are nice when it's hot but are absolutely miserable in the winter time. Your face gets chapped and you can't feel your ears. Awful.

Winter here is crappy, no doubt about it. But like I said, if you are used to New York and Cleveland then you at least know what a bad winter is like. I've always said I couldn't live any further north than Indy. I couldn't take it any colder.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:20 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post

If you are used to Cleveland and New York then you'll be fine. I went to NY once in March when it was unseasonably cold and it was insanely windy. It was miserable. That's basically how it is here when it's cold. Indy is flat as a pancake and is thus an extremely windy place. The breezes are nice when it's hot but are absolutely miserable in the winter time. Your face gets chapped and you can't feel your ears. Awful.

Winter here is crappy, no doubt about it. But like I said, if you are used to New York and Cleveland then you at least know what a bad winter is like. I've always said I couldn't live any further north than Indy. I couldn't take it any colder.
exactly. Indy isn't to cold however in the summer if i went south i would get toasted like an Arby's Sub (Hehe). each summer. Here in Indy 80-very low 90s is our summer normal highs.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:52 PM

31 posts, read 103,700 times
Thanks guys, I'm very excited about this move. From what I have seen, Indy appears family oriented with a variety of things to do, which is what I'm seeking. My kids really hate the New York City school system which has very little recreational and sports activities. It seems that most of the teachers have a very uncaring attitude and they seem to only care about getting their pay check every two weeks. Not to rant and rave but although the weather there is a con, there seems to be many pros to this city.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:24 AM

25 posts, read 46,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post

Be thankful you don't live in Northern Michigan. I have been here 4 years and the winters here beyond suck. I'm pretty sure when we finally move to Indy I will do a happy dance that the temperature aren't below zero in January.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:34 AM

25 posts, read 46,544 times
As far as dangerous areas, danger is everywhere in the country. It is all in how you handle yourself. I noticed some threads that make Indy look like Detroit as far as danger, but I won't let that scare me off. Mainly because I have been to Detroit and Indy doesn't hold a candle to it as far as dangerous spots. Let's just say I will not raise my kids there. They are striving to make improvements but I don't have the patience to wait around for it. I'd rather go some place that is already established, and Indy appears to be that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis