Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 26,097 times

Advertisements

I recently moved 12/2006 to Indiana from a small city Between Detroit and Ann Arbor. I live in Plainfield and I relocated because of work. I am the only black person who lives in my apartment complex and when I go out shopping or to eat, you would think that I am the only black person on earth from some of the looks I get. I am here alone, no family or friends. This was a big move for me. I love my job and the people who live around me have been really good to me. They help me with directions and have given me their phone numbers in case I get lost. There is a melting pot in my area. People are from all over and I really like the diversity. So far my experience here has been good, in about 6 months I'll write back to give an update.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 05:32 PM

50 posts, read 298,675 times
I think you'll find a different attitude of people in the Indy area than Detroit. Plainfield has an undeserved reputation sometimes but the people are really good to you around there regardless if you are white, black or any other color.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 26,097 times
Piggy,

I would have to agree. So far my experience has been good in Plainfield, I have met some really nice people. I am looking for a church to attend. I would like to attend a non-denominational church or a church that have a diverse congragation. Do you know of any? I am still learning my way around and I get lost all the time. I'll get the hang of it one of these days. Letmeknow about a church.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:21 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyT View Post
I recently moved 12/2006 to Indiana from a small city Between Detroit and Ann Arbor. I live in Plainfield and I relocated because of work. I am the only black person who lives in my apartment complex and when I go out shopping or to eat, you would think that I am the only black person on earth from some of the looks I get. I am here alone, no family or friends. This was a big move for me. I love my job and the people who live around me have been really good to me. They help me with directions and have given me their phone numbers in case I get lost. There is a melting pot in my area. People are from all over and I really like the diversity. So far my experience here has been good, in about 6 months I'll write back to give an update.
I'm not in your area, but just wanted to say "Welcome to Indiana".

I'm impressed that you made this big move on your own! Yay you!

Keep us up-to-date. Would love to hear more about your experiences.

Cheers!

Old 02-09-2007, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 14,499 times
Lady T,

Welcome to the area. I live just North of Plainfield in Avon (actually between Avon and Plainfield but I have an Avon zip code). I think you'll continue to see that the people in and around Plainfield will generally be very nice people. My wife and I have lived in Avon for about 11 years and have been very pleased overall with the area. You mentioned that you'd like to find a church. You may want to try Plainfield Christian Church. It's a pretty large church that seems to be pretty diverse. It's actually pretty easy to find. It's about 1 mile North of US 40 on Dan Jones road. If you need better directions drop me an email at rb0720us@hotmail.com.

Again, welcome to the area,

Robert

Old 02-09-2007, 01:06 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
I dont have any specific info about Plainfield but one of my bosses lives there. Lots of new transplants so there are a lot of people trying to "find their way around".

I dont know much about Plainfield but if you need info on Indianapolis, let me know. I live downtown and have lived in Indy most of 30 years.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:30 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,761,065 times
Welcome to Hoosierland.
Indiana and Indianapolis are very easy to find your way around in if you take a minute and figure out the numbering system.
In Hendricks County the center of the County is Danville US Hwy 36 divides the north and south while Washington Street divides east and west. If you look at a map you'll see that Plainfield is lined up with County Road 400 south which means you are four miles south of US 36 and Hwy 267 is between County Roads 625 and 800 which means it is about 700 so you are 7 miles east of the center of the county.
Indianapolis is divided by Meridian Street and Washington Street/Rockville Road (near Tibbs Ave. Washington Street turns south west. Rockville Road then becomes the dividing line). So: If you are at the Red Lobster Restaurant at 5106 West 38th street you are 5.1 miles west of Meridian Street and 3.8 miles north of Rockville Road. One other hint: In Indy the even numbered houses are on the north and west sides of the street. Many people who have lived in Indy all their lives still haven't figured this out yet.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 43,217 times
To LadyT...

I don't know much about Plainfield, although you're right that there aren't very many Black people there.

I'm White and live in a mostly-all-Black neighborhood near downtown Indianapolis. For the most part Indianapolis seems fairly open-minded, except for the south side which is mostly all-White. Downtown, Northwest Indy, and Northeast Indy are fairly multicultural.

As for looking for a church, I am a member of Eastern Star Church (www.easternstarchurch.org) (broken link), the largest predominantly-Black church in Indianapolis. (I'm one of the only White guys there!) I go to the main location on 30th Street, but there's also one on the Northwest side of Indy. Feel free to check out the website.

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at Activ8a@hotmail.com

Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 PM

7 posts, read 28,409 times
Default Hey I'm from Michigan too!!!

Lady T,

Where were you from exactly in MI? I'm from Adrian, MI (southwest of Ann Arbor). I might be moving to INDY airport for work. Any suggestions about the move??? Is Plainfield the best area?

Thanks
Mike

Old 02-23-2008, 06:34 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
I live in Avon , and I'm really glad to hear that you are liking it around here. As a Realtor, people sometimes ask me if different races are accepted or if there are race issues. Since I'm white, I don't really know how it is. I don't see it, and I don't feel it, but if it isn't directed at me, I don't think I qualify to answer that questions. So I guess what I'm saying is thank you for the very valuable perspective!

If you have any questions, or whatever, just send me a direct message!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis