Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Indianapolis?
been there loved IT!! 117 38.87%
been there it was okay 126 41.86%
been there and would never go BACK! 58 19.27%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 03:19 PM

21 posts, read 61,989 times

Advertisements

I know its a little late to comment on this thread, but just having visited Nap-town last weekend for the first time in many years, I'd have to say it's great, friendly people are the city's best asset. I was sorry to see Geist Reservoir is now essentially cut off from the common man and the closing of Huddle, Teepee, and Sam's Subway. Anyway, Indy will always have my vote and support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 05:13 PM

164 posts, read 310,461 times
When I lived in Indiana back in the 70's I thought Indianapolis was a big and busy city, lots of hustle and bustle. I would avoid 465 like the plague. Then I moved to Houston and I realized what a small and slow paced city Naptown really is. Instead of a being a big city, it's more like a big small town. Kinda like a Muncie on steroids. I think it's the people. Seems to me like most of the people who moved to Naptown moved there from the small towns all across Indiana. The out of staters that move to Indianapolis seem to come from small towns in Kentucky and Tennessee, instead of big towns thru out the entire country. Whereas in Houston, people are moving there from all over the United States and the world, but most noticeably from the Northeast and the Detroit metro area and overpriced California. The most Yankee accents I ever heard confined in one place was in the Houston Astrodome at a baseball game. Actually, I detect more of a Southern accent in Indy than I do in Houston. Now, whenever I go back to Indiana, Indianapolis seems slow and laid back and I drive on 465 with no problem at all and get thru Indy in 20 to 30 minutes or so. Houston just got too big for me and I moved to Austin. Austin reminds me somewhat of Indy in some ways. Same size town, same size metro area filled with nice and friendly people.

Last edited by i35vagabond; 07-16-2013 at 05:46 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 06:18 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i35vagabond View Post
The out of staters that move to Indianapolis seem to come from small towns in Kentucky and Tennessee, instead of big towns thru out the entire country.
For what its worth, I have met far more former Ohioans and Michiganders in Indianapolis than any other states and the margin is not close.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:48 PM

164 posts, read 310,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
For what its worth, I have met far more former Ohioans and Michiganders in Indianapolis than any other states and the margin is not close.
Really? That's interesting. When I lived in Indiana, I'd estimate that at least half the people I knew, my friends, my family, my neighbors, the people I went to school with, many of my school teachers, the people I worked with, seems like so many of them came from Tennesee or Kentucky. If they didn't, then their parents or grandparents did. That seemed to be the rule rather than the exception thru out Central Indiana, and I imagine Southern Indiana was the same way. You could hear it in the way they talked.

Last edited by i35vagabond; 07-16-2013 at 09:18 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,449,665 times
Lots of michigan people in indy and carmel. I bump into alot who are from west michigan and also detroit area.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:05 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i35vagabond View Post
Really? That's interesting. When I lived in Indiana, I'd estimate that at least half the people I knew, my friends, my family, my neighbors, the people I went to school with, many of my school teachers, the people I worked with, seems like so many of them came from Tennesee or Kentucky. If they didn't, then their parents or grandparents did. That seemed to be the rule rather than the exception thru out Central Indiana, and I imagine Southern Indiana was the same way. You could hear it in the way they talked.
To be fair, I wasn't born yet when you lived here according to your previous post, and nor were a lot of the people I run/work with (some were infants). I would bet cash that if you polled everyone that lives in Indianapolis that is not originally from Indiana where they are from, Michigan and Ohio would be one and two and it would not be close.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:52 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,087,268 times
My comments in the second post still stand. People in Indy were definitely much easier to get along with than they have been in Kansas City.

There are people from outside the immediate region in Indy. They may be hard to find but they are there. When I lived there nearly 20 years ago I knew a guy from Massachusetts and then a family from Tennessee. I am from Connecticut. My older brother new lives there and he is also from Connecticut. I bet if you did a survey of random people around town that you'd find more people that are transplants from states outside of the immediate region than 20 years ago.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:03 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,926 times
For the transplants I've met:
1. Michigan
2. Ohio
3. Illinois
4. Kentucky
5. California (This one I think might be unique to me, so maybe it's just the people I know)

Old 07-17-2013, 09:02 PM

37 posts, read 75,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
For the transplants I've met:
1. Michigan
2. Ohio
3. Illinois
4. Kentucky
5. California (This one I think might be unique to me, so maybe it's just the people I know)
I agree 100% with this list, and the order also. (I was wondering if anyone was going to mention California ...there are a lot of transplants)

Old 07-18-2013, 06:04 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,112 times
Maybe it's just me.. but lately, I've been seeing A LOT of California license plates in central Indiana!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis