Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 04:27 PM

6 posts, read 29,870 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my wife and I are planning to move to Fishers from Atlanta this fall and I'm hoping you can help us narrow down our search for a neighborhood. We're looking for homes in the $200-300K range. We would prefer a neighborhood with lots of mature trees and green space but at the same time we really like the features that newer homes offer (high ceilings, open floorplans, etc). If possible, we'd like to stay away from the developments that have been clear cut where all you can see is row after row of houses. I realize that this may be an impossible combination to find, but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 05:54 PM

152 posts, read 745,863 times
I haven't lived in Fishers for years, but I lived in the Orchard at Sunblest when it was a new subdivision 32 years ago, and in times I've been back there (last year most recently), I've always been impressed with how well the neighborhood is maintained. The homes and lawns, no exaggeration, look as good today as they did in the 70s. Not sure what the housing prices are there, but would imagine some are in the price range you mentioned. With the age of the subdivision, there are plenty of mature trees, and there is also some lakefront property within the subdivision, on a small lake. One oddity about the subdivision is that there is, in the middle of the subdivision, a small (maybe 100 yards x 100 yards) cemetery that dates back to the early 1800s.

On Google maps, you can kind of get a look at the neighborhood here--> orchard blvd fishers - Google Maps

Not sure if this was of any help, but it was a reply.

Best of luck on your move!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:15 PM

102 posts, read 413,680 times
Keep in mind that Fishers is growing rapidly with is fair share of {traffic} (according to Hoosiers ~it's traffic) Not like NY traffic - but -its traffic.
So what type of commute to work will you have? It played a big part in me NOT moving to Fishers 1 month ago.
AND , although Im a new Hoosier, I hear the Northsiders are in their own squeaky clean & clicky world up there outside the loop. but~ I suppose there's nothing wrong w that.!

DGurl... im sure you'll chime in here----~~

Westsider here.
BB

Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff3166 View Post
I haven't lived in Fishers for years, but I lived in the Orchard at Sunblest when it was a new subdivision 32 years ago, and in times I've been back there (last year most recently), I've always been impressed with how well the neighborhood is maintained. The homes and lawns, no exaggeration, look as good today as they did in the 70s. Not sure what the housing prices are there, but would imagine some are in the price range you mentioned. With the age of the subdivision, there are plenty of mature trees, and there is also some lakefront property within the subdivision, on a small lake. One oddity about the subdivision is that there is, in the middle of the subdivision, a small (maybe 100 yards x 100 yards) cemetery that dates back to the early 1800s.

On Google maps, you can kind of get a look at the neighborhood here--> orchard blvd fishers - Google Maps

Not sure if this was of any help, but it was a reply.

Best of luck on your move!
Thanks for the info, we will definitely check the neighborhood out when we are up there in a couple of weeks.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BigBear View Post
Keep in mind that Fishers is growing rapidly with is fair share of {traffic} (according to Hoosiers ~it's traffic) Not like NY traffic - but -its traffic.
So what type of commute to work will you have? It played a big part in me NOT moving to Fishers 1 month ago.
AND , although Im a new Hoosier, I hear the Northsiders are in their own squeaky clean & clicky world up there outside the loop. but~ I suppose there's nothing wrong w that.!

DGurl... im sure you'll chime in here----~~

Westsider here.
BB
Not sure where we will be working yet so that is a small concern...although even the worst traffic on the north side of Indy doesn't compare to traffic in Atlanta so we're not too worried about the commute.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:45 PM

102 posts, read 413,680 times
Default gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantatoindy View Post
Not sure where we will be working yet so that is a small concern...although even the worst traffic on the north side of Indy doesn't compare to traffic in Atlanta so we're not too worried about the commute.
YUP I hear ya.! The ATL is getting like the N.Y. c !
The 'Fish' is Nothing like either.
But still ~ gas is $4.14 on fridays..!!!

~~(OH for some weird reason, up here, they raises and lower prices by sometimes 25 cents~~~ in 1 day!)
Bought gas Today~> $3.81. last Sunday, same station -> $4.09 .99. !!
ouch. .28c x 15 galls = $4.20c !!
and yes I've been caught buying on the wrong day till I figured it out...

i think I'll start a thread...

Old 07-24-2008, 06:49 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Finding a non-clear cut neighborhood in Fishers in kind of hard .. Sawgrass maybe??? I'd suggest Gray Eagle (my friends recently left Gray Eagle to move back to Atlanta), but it's a Pulte production neighborhood. You could look at Geist Overlook too. I'll second Sunblest too ... winding streets, trees ... close to everything.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:34 PM

52 posts, read 191,813 times
There are several subdivisions that come to mind with mature trees in your price range:
Weaver Woods 141st and Allisonville
Berkley Grove 106th and Hague
Harrison Woods 141st and Allisonville
Sawgrass 116th and Hoosier Rd
Sunblest 116th and Allisonville
Geist Woods 96th and Fall Creek Rd
Princeton Park 106th and Allisonville
Covington Estates 96th and Lantern

Hope this helps

Old 07-25-2008, 06:11 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I just remember Berkeley Grove .... I always liked that neighborhood. There are some very nice areas along Cumberland Road between 106th & 116th.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCLead View Post
There are several subdivisions that come to mind with mature trees in your price range:
Weaver Woods 141st and Allisonville
Berkley Grove 106th and Hague
Harrison Woods 141st and Allisonville
Sawgrass 116th and Hoosier Rd
Sunblest 116th and Allisonville
Geist Woods 96th and Fall Creek Rd
Princeton Park 106th and Allisonville
Covington Estates 96th and Lantern

Hope this helps
Thanks for the recommendations! We will definitely check these out when we are up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis