Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 11:12 AM

445 posts, read 1,809,632 times

Advertisements

Can anypne from California give me your opinion of moving to Indiana?? Just curious, what you like or don't like....what you miss (other than In N Out-haha) what you love, or any regrets.....

I am a stay at home mo, of 4....3 of them are under 5...so schools and kids are super important. We live a nice life in California, but have been itching to get out of this rat race for a few years now.....for a slower more mellow FRIENDLIER place in the US!!!

Sometimes i read that people in other states are kinda home bodies?? Is this true?? Do you see kids out in the neighborhoods? Playing, people walking or at parks??

I have read a little about Indiana, Zion, Carmel and Fishers.....what is the scoop?? Pricing, do people like it, the last thing i want is another Orange County!!

Thanks
Christina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 01:25 PM

7 posts, read 56,328 times
I can tell you that there is no Orange County in IN!

No kids here, so can't comment on that.

I love SO CA, but there are very few things I miss.

I like the snow seasons here and I'm not missing out on anything like opera, ballet or plays.

I'm accustomed to manicured lawns which you don't see here and good landscaping is almost unheard of. Can't find any Christmas extravaganza neighborhoods like in OC. Even though they're over the top, it's a fun a thing I enjoy.
If you're accustomed to the farmers market goods and prices or if you ever shop the Ranch Market in La Habra, forget it, there's nothing like that in any of these states and those prices don't exist here. You won't find globe artichokes 5/$1 as a matter of fact you won't find globe artichokes.
Currently, I can't find Jicama here and they don't know what it is.

Fishers is a quiet little city, but they think they're big and in some ways that's good. It's just off the freeway so it's easy to get to Indy. Fishers has all of the common stores and chain restaurants, lot's of new and nice apartment buildings and is a clean city.
Fishers is just south of exit 10 on the I-69 which is the site of the Hamilton square which is new and is designed in the latest trend of creating a shopping center in the fashion of a village complete with round-abouts and a town square and on it's south side a new Imax theatre.

Carmel is about the same except a little more upscale and actually fewer of the common businesses and apartments. Carmel has a Fresh Market.

We live in the North and are seriously considering moving to one of those cities.

It's true that people here are home-bodies more than what we're accustomed to. It's part of the belt that makes up most of the % of people in the statistics of people who never stray more than 50 miles from their birthplace. I live in an historic neighborhood and only one of 107 households is from another state and that one is from Illinois.

Now that I've written you a book....

Old 08-16-2008, 02:06 PM

Thanks!! When i say OC I should have said, i DO NOT live in OC, but in Temecula, When times were great, my husband and i joked this is like a small OC....Temecula got big, with cheaper housing than OC or San Diego, so it was the in between for commuters. Now the economy here is so bad, it is sad we are excited that gas went under $4 a gallon, that is ridiculous!!!!! But Starbucks is still packed!!

I am no ballet or opera type, we have too m any little kids...just want a clean place with great schools, to raise them. California got really screwed up along the way, so it is really a bummer.

Can you tell me what the weather is like in those places?? Carmel/Fishers?? I ask because i know it will get the 4 seasons, which we never see here. We are self employed, my husband does landscape/decorative concrete, with our weather, he can work all year (if it is busy) But snow and rain change that...so if you could give me some insight, great.

Are people pretty friendly?? Funny because we have been to other states, and everyone seems so friendly, i wonder if it is just that we are used to a lot of people being unfriendly..I do not mean everyone, i mean people do not go out of their way to approach or welcome you here, it is sad...

Anywyas, i appreciate your help!!
Thanks
Christina

PS I have heard about fruits and vegetables in other states not being like here, i get that, but is it decent?? Bummer about the artichokes, i LOVE them....Yum

Old 08-17-2008, 09:49 AM
REM

368 posts, read 994,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post

Sometimes i read that people in other states are kinda home bodies?? Is this true?? Do you see kids out in the neighborhoods? Playing, people walking or at parks??
Yes, to tell you the truth i've seen move life in downtown indianapolis on a normal friday night than i did on a saturday night in chicago the day before a large even. A for kids it changes i'm a teen and NO one comes out of the house to just play but when i was a kid it was very very fun because all the other kids whould come outside. I don't want to go on but people in Indianapolis like to do things and we can do it because alot of stuff is close.

\

Old 08-17-2008, 11:19 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
We lived in Fishers for 4 years. It's an ok place to live. I say it's ok because we love it so much more in Columbus, an hour south of Indianapolis. My 3 kids are able to step outside and find someone to play with without having to make a "playdate" reservation with a neighbor. That was unheard of in Fishers. Our neighbors here are established, not transient (unlike Fishers), no HOA (unlike Fishers) ... people are very friendly down here, no keeping up with the Joneses mentality.

Again, there's nothing wrong with Fishers, I know people who wouldn't dream of moving from there.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:53 PM

Domergurl

Thanks!! What about Carmel?? I am clueless in Indiana, i need to get a map, but can you tell me a little about it?? Housing costs, schools ( i hear they are good) People??

Thanks again in advance!!
Christina

Old 08-18-2008, 06:49 AM

Carmel has top rated schools. But the housing is a bit more expensive than Fishers, overall. In this market, there are deals to be had. The only issue I had with Carmel schools is that all the schools feed into one huge high school. Fishers just opened a second high school and are adding a third, maybe. Carmel, Fishers and Zionsville sit on top of Marion County (Indianapolis). It's pretty classic suburban. Everything you would need is there, stores, restaurants ...

I'm sure you would find California transplants. It's different, of course, weatherwise, cost of living wise. You'll find the area classic midwest. Friendly people, good neighbors.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:37 AM

Domergurl

Thanks again!!!

How would class cost of living/housing?

Southern California is ridiculous, we do own a new house, and are used to the cost of living, it is all the other stuff that we don't like.....

my kidos are 5, 4 & 18 months, maybe they would get a new HS by then!! haha!!

so i have read Fishers is pretty expensive?? Carmel more, and what about Zionsville? Are they all in close proximity of each other?? Like you said there are deals out there, we got a great deall on ours, that is not always a good thing, on our street, these houses sold for at top of market $850k, mind you it is a tract house, 12-15k lot, 3800-4200 sq ft, in a very desireable area. we bought 6 months ago, at $526k, people were not happy....So they assume we could not afford to buy at the high price, and we are a lower class of people....little do they know!!

Thanks for your info!!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:49 AM

The Indiana market is down, but not like California down. I don't think that people are ready to go into desperation sale mode, but you could have your pick of the litter in either of those 3 places for 500K. Carmel housing is more expensive than Fishers overall, but there are multi-million dollar homes in all 3 area. Zionsville is smaller and they want to keep it that way. Personally, if we ever move back up to that area, I'd look there first. Nothing wrong with Fishers or Carmel, just a personal preference. I like places aren't into sprawl for sprawl purposes, plus the schools in Zionsville are smaller and were recently nationally ranked.

I'd suggest you bring the family out for a visit before committing. There have been people here who claim that the mold and pollen is horrible here. I wouldn't know, I don't have allergies, but my former Fishers neighbor moved here from OC and her allergies went through the roof within a week.

I will say this though, with your kids being the ages they are, you will need to immediately get a membership to the Children's Museum of Indianapolis. It's out of this world.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:58 PM

23 posts, read 126,263 times
Default I lived in Orange county in past, and now in Indianapolis

We lived in Orange county in the past. Now we are in Carmel.
I think it all depends on what kind of people you are, what you do for living, and many different factors. This is my and my wife's personal experience, may not apply to you:
The weather: overall cold, unpleasant, unpredictable. However, if you like "harsh/wild nature", you'll see it here. From frozen winters to windy storms, to heavy showers, to hot humidity. Beautiful fall with all color trees, short spring... Unstable, unpredictable weather. Almost always some unpleasant wind being around.
The Prices: home prices way less than Orange county. No comparison.
People/culture: close minded overall, not very open to other people. Priorities always given to Indiana residents, good luck if you're looking for a job!
Technology/civilization: at least one step behind other states, definitely behind California. Tend to grow slower than other states.
Politics: people afraid of talking about politics at work. In CA you can easily say what's in your mind. Here, kind of like third world countries, people afraid of talking, so you don't know what's in their mind.
Less diversity than California, more red necks, but also more nice simple people too (as you expect to see in farm-oriented less civilized countries).
Overall, bottomline, I do not recommend moving from California to Indiana, unless you're 100% sure the bridge remains open behind you in a likely case that you decide to return.
Now, if it happens that you decide to move, and if you're concerned about your kids and the family and having a quiet safe life, you should only consider Carmel or Zionsville for living. These two towns have best schools and safest neighborhoods. Most professionals live in these two towns. Carmel is more diverse, having people from other nationalities (about 7% foreigners, mainly chinese; and then probably 92% whites, very rare african-americans), while Zionsville is mostly whites, perhaps 1-2% foreigners, and again very rare african-americans. Housing is maybe maybe a bit more expensive in Zionsville. Property taxes less in Carmel. Commute to downtown (If you work in downtown), easier from Zionsville than Carmel. Trafic less in Zionsville than Carmel.

Last edited by Alien!; 08-18-2008 at 09:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis