Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:14 PM

445 posts, read 1,809,632 times

Advertisements

Wowo...I got more than i bargained for on this one.. iw as simply trying to find out/figure out where i will fit best!!! I am in smaller town (no big LA type) so we do not have a HUGE upscale shopping or places to eat... We have a mall with a MAcy's and yourtypical mall stuff, which suits me fine. We do have a few upscale boutiques that offer the $400 jeans, but i doubt they will be here long, with the economy...na di will not spend $400 on a pair of jeans, $150, yes but not $400.

The girl i know loved CG Greenwood, she just had a problem with her daughter there, due to her being a special needs child, they could not meet her needs. She said it was VERY nice, Yes there are expensive areas, not like Carmel, but very nice. She said it was slower pace. Now YES i want a slower pace, but do i put a full face of make up on everyday YES, do i leave my house in clothes that i look like i slept in, NO....Those are "personal" preferances, not mandatory. I know for me, i just feel "better" that i got myself together for the day,r ather than just roll with it..that is individuality.

I will also say, she mentioned Carmel was "way more diverse" than Greenwood...whatever that means...I have looked at the diversity in Indiana, wheter the "best places" to live is right or not, Indiana has NO diversity compared to California.....whether you are black, white, asian or hispanic....I can almost guarantee that.

Back to the OP, if you have any other info, i would greatly appreciate it....and race is not one of them i can do my howmework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 03:15 PM

Southside shrek......what makes it boring? Just curious??

Old 09-08-2008, 04:18 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,081 times
I am so glad to hear that the things I have heard aren't true. I was hoping that maybe it was just a small amount of people who had an unpleasant experience and wanted to spread that sort of nastiness. It seems that the people who have a complaint about something are always the most vocal. That's why I was looking for some (hopefully) unbiased opinions.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:22 PM

667 posts, read 2,887,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post
I will also say, she mentioned Carmel was "way more diverse" than Greenwood...whatever that means...I have looked at the diversity in Indiana, wheter the "best places" to live is right or not, Indiana has NO diversity compared to California.....whether you are black, white, asian or hispanic....I can almost guarantee that.

Back to the OP, if you have any other info, i would greatly appreciate it....and race is not one of them i can do my howmework.

Not to be mean, but you really need to use the search button. This is a VERY common question.

While you are right that IN does not have much diversity when compared to Cali, I think if you took your time you would be surprised. Right now the big thing going on in the Southside is a large Shirka community is moving into the area.

Additionally, I know of several Polish families on the Southside. Also, the University of Indianapolis has a growing Asian population. And one thing I have noticed before shipping out to Iraq is that around where I live, whenever I turn around I see what appears to be Indians or Pakistanians walking. I'm not sure if they are also affliated with the U of I, or they are part of the Shirka community, or they simply like the Southside for the same reasons that I do. Whatever the reasons, I do not know of any incidents in which they have been made to feel unwelcomed. SIDENOTE: no matter where you are, there will ALWAYS be idiots.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:09 PM

I will post again, that DIVERSITY was and is NOT the topic of my OP....Just looking for the differences, and if you note, i did not ask Race...i only threw in my2 cents, when someone else posted, that is not the reason for this post, that would be lame.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:43 PM

52 posts, read 191,813 times
I grew up in Franklin in the 1970's and lived in Greenwood/Southport until 2001 when we moved to Fishers. The biggest differences are that the northside seems to get certain stores and restaurants a few years before the southside. In Fishers/Carmel there is a group of people that lives up to the "full-face make-up and heels at the grocery" stereotype. In Greenwood there is a group that lives up to the "bleach blonde, gum chewing, drive a pickup with a gunrack to the grocery" stereotype. You'll find both in either Greenwood or Fishers. Most people fall somewhere in between. When we made the move to Fishers, we weighed Center Grove against Fishers. We both worked on the northside; and since most of our friends lived in Noblesville, Fishers won. the schools were less of an issue, since both Hamilton Southeastern and Center Grove have great reputations. Traffic wasn't much of an issue either. People talk about northside traffic, but try dealing with the 65 and Southport exit or driving east and west across Greenwood during rush hour. It's as bad as anything I've encountered up here. Property is definitely more affordable in Greenwood. There are more shopping/dining options up north. It just boils down to where are you most comfortable and what is more convenient for you. Either place you will find good, friendly people.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:05 AM

76 posts, read 276,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I second Bears fan's sentiments regarding Center Grove/White River Township. There are plenty of nice areas on the south side. The negative for some may be the lack of upscale shopping as that is primarily north. If you're into the normal Penneys/Macy's, etc., Greenwood Park Mall offers that.
Actually, Greenwood Park Mall is probably the 2nd or 3rd best mall in the metro area. Their new addition added some more "upscale" stores such as Coldwater Creek and Barnes and Noble. No, GPM isn't Fashion Mall at Keystone, but it's miles beyond Washington Square, Lafayette Square, and yes...I prefer it to Castleton Square.

Really, there's no way that anybody can tell the OP which area she'll definitely prefer, Carmel or Greenwood. Anybody moving to Indiana from out of state needs to rent for a year first, to give them time to explore all the different areas for themselves. If money is tight, I would recommend renting in Greenwood but making trips up to Carmel and Fishers and even Zionsville and Avon, if those are considered possibilities. Heck, why not Lawrence and Plainfield? Who knows where you'll wind up getting jobs?

But Greenwood is a cheaper place to live than Carmel or even Fishers, which might be important that first year. It's not just that the cost of living is less, but that there is much less of the "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality that tends to induce people to spend beyond their means. You don't see a lot of Lexus SUVs in the parking lot of Meijer, or Brazilian granite countertops and restaurant-grade stainless steel appliances in your neighbor's kitchens. This bugs the hell out of some people, but is a relief to others.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:15 AM

76 posts, read 276,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCLead View Post
I grew up in Franklin in the 1970's and lived in Greenwood/Southport until 2001 when we moved to Fishers. The biggest differences are that the northside seems to get certain stores and restaurants a few years before the southside. In Fishers/Carmel there is a group of people that lives up to the "full-face make-up and heels at the grocery" stereotype. In Greenwood there is a group that lives up to the "bleach blonde, gum chewing, drive a pickup with a gunrack to the grocery" stereotype. You'll find both in either Greenwood or Fishers. Most people fall somewhere in between. When we made the move to Fishers, we weighed Center Grove against Fishers. We both worked on the northside; and since most of our friends lived in Noblesville, Fishers won. the schools were less of an issue, since both Hamilton Southeastern and Center Grove have great reputations. Traffic wasn't much of an issue either. People talk about northside traffic, but try dealing with the 65 and Southport exit or driving east and west across Greenwood during rush hour. It's as bad as anything I've encountered up here. Property is definitely more affordable in Greenwood. There are more shopping/dining options up north. It just boils down to where are you most comfortable and what is more convenient for you. Either place you will find good, friendly people.
Glad you're enjoying life on the northside, but I just have to chime in with my two cents' worth on the issue of traffic...I've found nothing in Greenwood to compare to I-69 or Allisonville Rd. at rush hour. Much as I enjoy some of the shops and amenities of the northside, I'm careful to avoid traveling on those roads at those times in the evening when they're filled with commuters...it's a nightmare. And I'm comparing it with some Chicago-area and South Florida traffic, not just with traffic elsewhere in Indiana.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:06 AM

52 posts, read 191,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Animals On Wheels View Post
Glad you're enjoying life on the northside, but I just have to chime in with my two cents' worth on the issue of traffic...I've found nothing in Greenwood to compare to I-69 or Allisonville Rd. at rush hour. Much as I enjoy some of the shops and amenities of the northside, I'm careful to avoid traveling on those roads at those times in the evening when they're filled with commuters...it's a nightmare. And I'm comparing it with some Chicago-area and South Florida traffic, not just with traffic elsewhere in Indiana.
I'm not trying to start a p****** match here, but as I read this I was watching the AM news and saw the traffic cams. 69 and 465: bumper to bumper and moving slowly. 65 and 465: bumper to bumper and moving slowly.

Emerson and Southport. It has taken me 15 minutes to get from the I65 ramp to Meijer during evening rush hour. Just 2 weeks ago, after dropping our son off at IU, we decided to have dinner in Greenwood. County Line Rd from SR37 to US31, 45 minutes. Yes, Northside side traffic is bad. But let's not paint the Southside as a traffic utopia. It's bad there too. But absolutley nothing like the Dan Ryan at 5:30.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:07 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Let's not forget that Craven is coming from Cali-traffic-land-ifornia ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis