Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:18 PM

131 posts, read 648,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Oh come on, don't be so dramatic. It's not like driving to a third world country. Heavens to bits, what would you do if you drove into NYC?

Chicago is a great city. A major WORLD city. If you compare Indianapolis to Chicago, well, there's no comparison. Bad parts, yes, absolutely, but I've been in neighborhoods in Indianapolis that scare me more than some of the neighborhoods in Chicago. At least in Chicago, you know where the bad places are. Here, it's hit or miss, street by street.
To each his own. I have no desire to visit the place, let alone live in Chicago.
I live in Indy, but moved here nearly five years ago from the Baltimore metro area. Indy is a safe and quiet small town compared to Baltimore. The crime here is nothing compared to what occurs in Charm City. No offense intended, but I find it rather hard to believe that you have been in neighborhoods in Indy that scared you more than some of the neighborhoods in Chicago. The homicide rate in Chicago, not to mention the crime rate is much higher. Again, to each is own. Chicago does not appeal to me based on what I have heard and read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 06:38 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Yes, to each his or her own. I always felt like there were cops around in Chicago, not so much so in Indianapolis. I remember one time, I had to go to Humbolt Park on the near west side of Chicago to file for unemployment. I took a city bus out there, did my business and went back to the busstop. A kind postal worker took one look at me and said "what are you doing here?" I told him what I was doing and he stood with me until my bus came. I don't think that would happen in Indianapolis in a neighborhood like Humbolt Park.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:53 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
The same thing happened to my elderly inlaws in London. They were there during poll tax riots and the bus driver would not let them get off because he worried about their safety in a dangerous (at the time) area. So he took them ride back down to their starting point. There are nice people out there.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:21 PM

131 posts, read 648,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Yes, to each his or her own. I always felt like there were cops around in Chicago, not so much so in Indianapolis. I remember one time, I had to go to Humbolt Park on the near west side of Chicago to file for unemployment. I took a city bus out there, did my business and went back to the busstop. A kind postal worker took one look at me and said "what are you doing here?" I told him what I was doing and he stood with me until my bus came. I don't think that would happen in Indianapolis in a neighborhood like Humbolt Park.
I am VERY GLAD that postal worker was nice enough to stay with you until your bus arrived. Take care of yourself.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:01 AM

5 posts, read 29,668 times
Default hard to judge until you live somewhere

I wanted to respond to so many people's comments out there. We moved here from Daly City, CA (just south of SF). I worked in SF, downtown, for 6 years near one of the worst neighborhoods. There were drive by shootings in broad daylight.
We have been in Indy for about 2 months and we live in the city and WE HAVE CHILDREN. One of them is going to start kindergarten next year at public IPS Montessori and currently attends preschool at a private Montessori that cost less than 1/2 of what her Montessori cost in SF. I am an employee of the dept of education and despite the fact that I went to private schools K-12, I am planning on sending her to a public school in IPS. IPS has magnet schools that have excellent reputations. You can look at the demographics of these schools on the dept of ed's website and also at greatschools.net. These are not charter schools and these have lotteries to get into, but they are not that difficult to get into.
We live in Broad Ripple and we have had our share of crime, but most of it is cirmes of opportunity. People are not used to crime and therefore they don't know how to take steps to prevent it.
Indianapolis, so far, is a great city that is VERY affordable for families and has a lot to offer, but many people think that IPS is the pits so they go to Carmel, Fishers, Nobleville...etc.
My take is that it takes people investing in the schools and believing in something to make it valuable. If you want to know what it looks like when urban flight takes place, just look at St. Louis. I lived there for 4 years and the downtown is awful.

Just my humble opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis