Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:33 PM

41 posts, read 118,822 times

Advertisements

I just joined these forums and I was looking at the Indianapolis Page. I noticed that the crime rate has risen over the years, from 400-600. Now this is happining in all midwestern cities, and we dont want Indy to end up like that. I dont live in Indy, I watch channel 13, but I think Indy can stop that rising crime rate, I think Indy would be a much better place. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 04:27 PM

50 posts, read 298,656 times
Much of the fault lies with the mayor. There is no trust between the Police and the Mayor as he has continually screwed them over. Morale is low and they are afraid to do anything as they won't get the backing they need to do the job.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:33 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,494 times
Well, you should start crime programs in your neighborhood.
Hire auxiliary police, etc. In Chicago, neighborhoods with more crime
have cameras on each street corner, which makes it easier to track criminals down, etc.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 15,477 times
Default Cameras don't do what you think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
In Chicago, neighborhoods with more crime
have cameras on each street corner, which makes it easier to track criminals down, etc.
Well, that's not working. Chicago's per-capita murder, robbery and assault rates are worse than Indy's.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:59 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestman View Post
Agreed! You feel like the world is watching you on camera as you make your way down any Chicago street, but yet the crime rate is even worse than LA. You couldn't pay me enough money to live in that dump. Driving into the city, coming from Indy, is like driving into third world country, that is now a war zone. And they say we have no class! If the by-product of all that class that they claim to have is the immense poverty that has overtaken the city, then they can have all the supposed class they want.
Oh come on, don't be so dramatic. It's not like driving to a third world country. Heavens to bits, what would you do if you drove into NYC?

Chicago is a great city. A major WORLD city. If you compare Indianapolis to Chicago, well, there's no comparison. Bad parts, yes, absolutely, but I've been in neighborhoods in Indianapolis that scare me more than some of the neighborhoods in Chicago. At least in Chicago, you know where the bad places are. Here, it's hit or miss, street by street.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:38 AM

673 posts, read 4,069,931 times
I thought Chicago and Indianapolis have similar per-capita homicide rates and Indianapolis had a higher rate last year. Arent both cities around 15 per 100,000 people?

Didnt Indianapolis have like 130 homicides last year, I know they typical average between 100-110.

Indianapolis metro area has a very high violent crime rate compared to other midwestern metro areas. I think only Kansas City is worse as far as the big metro areas. St. Louis which is considered the most violent city, has a lower metropolitan crime rate then Indianapolis.

If Indianapolis hadnt been able to annex and the city of Indianapolis had the same city population to metropolitan area population, Indianapolis would probubly be in the same league as the highest crime cities in the country.

Many metro areas core cities only have 15 to 20% of the metro population, Indianapolis has closer to 40%.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:08 PM

83 posts, read 397,403 times
I encourage everyone worried about the crime in Indianapolis to see if you can find the Indy Star's interactive homicide locater that they put up at the end of last year. Most of the crime in Indy seems to be concentrated in 2 or 3 particular areas, and 90% of them are due to drugs, gangs, or domestic violence. Yet, many are acting like Indianapolis is turning into some kind of warzone. Reality check, there is no utopia in the world, not even in Indianapolis

Old 02-26-2007, 12:24 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
I watched a show last night where they listed Indianapolis as the 10th best place to live and work according to Forbes Magazine. So it can't be all bad.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:41 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
what about the carjacking and rape yesterday afternoon of a 27 yr old female worker in downtown Indy? that has the entire downtown all shook up.

if you pay to park in those downtown parking garages, they should at least give patrons a little security.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 02-27-2007 at 10:04 AM..

Old 03-09-2007, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 15,477 times
Default Check out the upcoming Indiana Policy Review Journal

The spring/summer journal coming out in a couple of months is all about crime and what to do about it. It's geared toward Indiana, but applicable everywhere humans live in concentrations greater than, well, about two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis