U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2008, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 24,970 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering a move to Indianapolis within the next few years for job reasons. We currently LOVE the Twin Cities area, particularly Minneapolis and its suburbs, so we are skeptical that we will like anywhere as much. (We have lived in a few other cities - Baltimore and Philadelphia - and did not like either even 1/2 as much as Mpls.) Could anyone who has lived or spent significant amounts of time in Minneapolis and Indianapolis please compare and contrast them? As a starting point, some of the things we really appreciate about Minneapolis are: clean, modern, low crime (unlike Baltimore, where we did not ever feel safe when living in the actual city limits), good schools, nice people/great customer service, well educated workforce, the lakes with tons of walking/running/bike paths throughout the city, lots of sporting events, etc. Thanks for any information about Indianapolis since neither my wife nor I have ever been there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 10:54 AM

155 posts, read 684,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam19 View Post
My family and I are considering a move to Indianapolis within the next few years for job reasons. We currently LOVE the Twin Cities area, particularly Minneapolis and its suburbs, so we are skeptical that we will like anywhere as much. (We have lived in a few other cities - Baltimore and Philadelphia - and did not like either even 1/2 as much as Mpls.) Could anyone who has lived or spent significant amounts of time in Minneapolis and Indianapolis please compare and contrast them? As a starting point, some of the things we really appreciate about Minneapolis are: clean, modern, low crime (unlike Baltimore, where we did not ever feel safe when living in the actual city limits), good schools, nice people/great customer service, well educated workforce, the lakes with tons of walking/running/bike paths throughout the city, lots of sporting events, etc. Thanks for any information about Indianapolis since neither my wife nor I have ever been there yet.
I think you'll find all of that in Indianapolis, except for the lakes.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:58 PM

17,700 posts, read 36,043,538 times
I would stongly suggest that you spend a week here before you decide to move. The metro area has most of the things you are desiring with the exception of a major waterway and the number of lakes. There are some trails, the Monon being the major one.

Not quite sure how to answer the educated workforce question ... with Lilly, Anthem and several colleges and universities (Butler, IUPUI and more) in the city, there are many many educated folks here. You can get those statistics from the mothership, www.city-data.com

As for good public schools, look to Zionsville, Carmel & Fishers. Within the city limits, Washington Twp & Lawrence Twp.

I guess that's a good place to start. There are lots of sporting events with the pro football team that is located here, as well as the Pacers and the hosting of several tournaments and of course. the 500.

Indianapolis and it's environs are really what you make of it.

Last edited by domergurl; 12-25-2008 at 02:07 PM..

Old 12-25-2008, 08:44 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,385,055 times
Although you mentioned being inside city limits, I prefer the burbs of Indy and I think many people do. The areas mentioned in the previous post by domergurl are all outside of the city, as are the fabulous western burbs; Avon, Plainfield, Brownsburg and Danville.

Since acess to downtown is so easy, it won't be a big issue to enjoy the events and attractions in the city while still enjoying the schools and safety offered in the suburbs.

One thing you mentioned that Indy is a bit behing in is public transportation.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:12 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,186,427 times
Indy benefits: Your winter will be shorter/warmer than in Minn. Traffic is very easy in Indy. Great down-to-earth people. Not a ton of snow. Every amentity you could want (although no great amusement park).

I highly recommend Indy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis