Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 03:34 PM

130 posts, read 385,389 times

Advertisements

I am from California and I have narrowed my move search down to 2 cities (Indianapolis and Milwaukee). I would like to know how the climate is there as far as tolerance of interracial couples? I am black and my husband is white. Is is common to see mixed couples there or is it foreign? Please help if anyone knows, especially if anyone has been to both of my cities of interest. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 05:27 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,679,701 times
North Indy (Carmel, Zionsville, Fishers, Westfield) is the most racially tolerant part of the metro area. Stay away from Martinsville and much of south Indy is a little slow to get with the times.

I am from Indy (Carmel....best city on the planet) and am in Orange County, CA for a while, but WILL return to raise my family. You will LOVE Indy, especially if you are looking to settle down with some kids in a nice suburban house. The schools are spectacular, lots of families, its good living. I don't think your race will be a problem if you live in the Northern Suburbs that I mentioned...you will find people to be faily open minded. The southern Suburbs and rural areas tend to spoil the tolerant image.....but honestly I never really went down to those areas when I lived there.

Downtown is fun too. You are picking a winning locale!

Old 12-27-2008, 08:23 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,474,641 times
Martinsville does have a race history, but I must disagree with ocexpo regarding south Indy. No doubt it's pretty lilly white down there, but I've never sensed racial hostility/intolerace. It does appear that more African-Americans are moving to that part of the metro area. That said, it is more mixed in the northern part of metro area. One of my friends here is an African-American male, married to a white woman, and they reside in Noblesville. They don't seem to have problems.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:08 PM

16 posts, read 66,776 times
QueenVic - I live on the NW side of Indy, in Pike Township. My son finished high school there a year and a half ago. Pike is VERY mixed, or the more politically correct term - diverse! You would have NO problem in this area. I have a number of acquaintences in Pike that are in interracial marriages, and the teens at the high school are very mixed, too.
Good luck in your move!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:54 PM

12 posts, read 42,203 times
ok queenvic, i registered on the website to answer you lol and also i found that i might need this website. Alright i'm a colored man and i've been in indiana for 4 years and 1 year in indy.

1st of all, Indiana is a conservative state. You might get some culture shock since its a straight move from cali to here. Indianapolis is better than rest of indiana in terms of civilization and urban, openminded, modern or whatever you call it. Still its indiana and its a capital for conservatives.

The best part is its not bad. No one bothers you and if you are laid back you will love it. Interracial couples may not be in a big number like in cali but if you live in areas like carmel, fishers or noblesville. no one cares and they are the best places to live.

Greenwood? its a southern suburb. We were playing cricket on a city baseball filed over the summer and in 1 hour there are like 8-9 people throwed comments and booed us from their vehicles while passing us on the street next to us. Their main problem was race more than the sport. I felt like i was in a redneck or country side area. I've never seen such attitude in indianapolis.

The traffic is toomuch on northside but trust me. For colored people i feel like north side is the best place. people which includes whites are very open minded and nice up north. You definately want a safe place so carmel, fishers or noblesville is your best bet

If you can't afford north side, plainfield and other places are ok and i'm not sure of racial tolerance there.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:12 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,028,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygenius View Post
1st of all, Indiana is a conservative state. You might get some culture shock since its a straight move from cali to here. Indianapolis is better than rest of indiana in terms of civilization and urban, openminded, modern or whatever you call it. Still its indiana and its a capital for conservatives.

Greenwood? its a southern suburb. We were playing cricket on a city baseball filed over the summer and in 1 hour there are like 8-9 people throwed comments and booed us from their vehicles while passing us on the street next to us. Their main problem was race more than the sport. I felt like i was in a redneck or country side area. I've never seen such attitude in indianapolis.
I agree. I lived in Greenwood for 5 years, and while there were a few of cool people, there were a lot of Confederate flags on houses and cars. The only reason I stayed as long as I did, is because I couldn't sell my house. Completely opposite on the north side.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I agree. I lived in Greenwood for 5 years, and while there were a few of cool people, there were a lot of Confederate flags on houses and cars. The only reason I stayed as long as I did, is because I couldn't sell my house. Completely opposite on the north side.
I'm calling this one baloney. How long ago did you live in Greenwood?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:33 PM

891 posts, read 2,439,906 times
No one will care, if you are a good neighbor, nice people - no one will care.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:41 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,028,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I'm calling this one baloney. How long ago did you live in Greenwood?
3 Years ago, off of Main Street, near the downtown area. The houses are old, and on the cheaper side. One of my neighbors had a huge Confederate flag flying on his house, and a big sticker on his monster truck. Another house had a Confederate flag painted on their front door.

Like I said, there were a few cool people who lived around me, but mainly white trash.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
3 Years ago, off of Main Street, near the downtown area. The houses are old, and on the cheaper side. One of my neighbors had a huge Confederate flag flying on his house, and a big sticker on his monster truck. Another house had a Confederate flag painted on their front door.

Like I said, there were a few cool people who lived around me, but mainly white trash.
Two houses on your block, yet you paint the entire city of Greenwood with that brush. I've seen one house just outside of Noblesville with a confederate flag, yet you consider Noblesville more tolerant of interracial couples.

I'll admit that the south side is more "white bread," but I long ago tired of folks bashing the area as racist and intolerant. There's just not enough evidence to back that up in today's Indy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis