Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 11:08 AM

15 posts, read 42,060 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Indianapolis within the next few months. I've been looking at apartments in the Northwestern part of town out by St Vincent's hospital. Is this a good area to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 12:13 PM

Bumping for Response

Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
It depends on the apartments. Many of the apartments around that area turn into ****holes. I'm not sure why, maybe low incomes with a decent school district.

I used to live in the complex at 79th and whatever road St.Vincent's is on, before it was remodeled. I was robbed twice, had my dog stolen, my car vandalized (with bullet holes and a broken window), and some Mexicans were tied up, robbed, and tortured. Not hard torture, I think they were made to drink bleach. That was over 5 years ago though.

Anyway, I would drive through a few times before moving in.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:58 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
As someone who took temporary asylum on the northwest side last year; and as someone who has friends in a couple of other complexes; I can offer this:

Pickwick Place near 91st and Ditch - Safe, cheap apartments. I lived here as recently as last year. I walked my dog at all hours of the night and day; never a safety issue. The biggest problem I have had is my neighbors leaving trash all over the place; and the maintenance. If you don't mind very, very sub-par maintenance, this is a nice cheap place to live. I know a couple of other people who live here, never a safety issue; but similar experiences with the maintenance people.

Villa Nova near 86th and Michigan - One of my work buddies lives here, they seem nice enough. 86th and Michigan is a safe area.

I don't remember the complex name; but I have visited a complex of 71st just east of Michigan Road. They swear it is safe; but I don't think I would live there. They don't seem too nice.

For me personally, as a general rule, I would stay in apartment complexes along and north of 86th Street.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:52 PM

DC 38 Thanks for the info. Do you know anything about the Turtle Creek Apartments? They're on Harcourt near St V's. I've visited these once in my apartment hunt.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:56 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
All I know about Turtle Creek is that it is an income restricted complex; or it was at one time. Looking at the crime stats; it seems like a safe enough place. As far as the apts themselves, I don't know much about them.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:07 PM

156 posts, read 433,895 times
I would strongly advise against Turtle Creek. I've heard too many stories about robberies.

You want the best way to find out if a place is safe or not? Go into one of the pizza places nearby and talk to a delivery driver. They'll tell you exactly where they don't want to go. They know those neighborhoods very well.

In my experience, most of the apartments N of 86th were safer than the ones S of 86th. And stay the hell away from that one at 79th and Harcourt. That's totally ridden with crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis