Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:34 PM

77 posts, read 245,129 times

Advertisements

Yeah I know... I must be crazy, but the new salary is obscene!

I will be working in Southwest Indy, near the airport. I read that the Southwest region is a high crime area.

I'm willing to spend 175-250K for a home, but I want to live relatively close to my job in a lower crime area. I want to live out of the city. I do not need a very large house... no more than 2000 sq/ft. I'm not married and do not have kids, so schools are not a concern.

Can you please give me some areas/neighborhoods that fit my description?

I appreciate all your suggestions and recommendations very much!

Thank you!

Last edited by JAPP; 02-13-2009 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 03:58 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
The southwest side of Marion County is not a high crime area. It contains much of the area's heavy industry, however, and the residential areas are home to a lot of our less sophisticated residents. For your budget, you could find a really nice place to live in Plainfield or Avon, and it would be an easy commute to work. Both communities are safe with good schools. With Metropolis, Plainfield is a bit better in terms of shopping conveniences. Good luck!

Old 02-13-2009, 06:08 PM

38 posts, read 121,517 times
Default relocating...

Hey there - I am relocating myself from Phoenix. I have been researching homes and neighborhoods non-stop for weeks. I flew out to Indy on Monday and stayed until Wednesday. I me with a realtor [who I met through this forum] that is amazing. He has listened to everything I have said and has been working to find me a home that will work with my budget.

Now that I am home he has been touring homes, photographing the process and emailing me with results. The airport area is not the "trendiest of neighborhoods" from what I have seen first hand. BUT what is important to know about Indy is that there is a lot of growth going on there. I have submitted 4 offers on homes only to find that they already have accepted offers.

If you would like I can give you his info - he gave me this box of information that is specifically for people relocating. Everything from maps to cultural events etc...

I'd be happy to talk more to you if you want - let me know we can exchange info. Overall Indy is a great town and I was impressed. The people there are extremely friendly compared to Phoenix. Basically 200k should buy you a lot there.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:26 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,533 times
My husband works near the airport and we live in Avon and love it. You can get a lot of house here in the price range you mentioned. Plus, we are close enough to get into the city within about 20 minutes if you want and far enough to be in a town that has never had a homocide since it has been incorporated in 1995. I can also recommend Plainfield, they have a great Reacreation and Aquatic center and a nice open-air mall.

I'd love to help find some listings for you!

Old 02-13-2009, 10:29 PM

Thanks guys!

Been browsing through the RE listings... Plainfield and Avon do look pretty good and they are very close to where I will be working. Can you hear any airplane engine noise in Plainfield or Avon? Is Avon pronounced the same way as the makeup company? -lol

MikiJane, I just may take you up on your offer. I'll most likely be moving in mid March. Please send me a PM with your contact info when you get a chance.

Thanks again.

Last edited by JAPP; 02-13-2009 at 10:52 PM..

Old 02-14-2009, 06:08 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Ahem ... I gots to figure out how to benefit from this!!!

I like giftcards

Old 02-14-2009, 10:52 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,533 times
Yes, you can hear the airplanes sometimes, but you just get used to it. Plainfield actually has some areas where the Airport Authority had to pay for extra soundproofing on some homes. HA, just as I am typing this, I can hear an airplane going overhead. Not so loud that it is drowning out the tv (or the kids!) but loud enough that I did notice it.

And yeah, it is pronounced like the make-up company.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:31 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
All of the above about Plainfield and Avon are accurate but the traffic is getting to be a BIG issue.
If ten miles from the Airport isn't too far take a look at the area near Bluff Road and Stop 11 Road, Southport Road
or Banta Road.
I can be downtown quickly (except rush hour) via Bluff Road or to the Airport via 465.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Ahem ... I gots to figure out how to benefit from this!!!

I like giftcards
I'd get you one domergurl, but I'm not sure which companies will survive the depression of 2009 yet

Almost forgot... any woman who quotes Lennon from Hard Day's Night" "Turn left at greenland" is okay by me!

Last edited by JAPP; 02-14-2009 at 12:52 PM..

Old 02-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
All of the above about Plainfield and Avon are accurate but the traffic is getting to be a BIG issue.
If ten miles from the Airport isn't too far take a look at the area near Bluff Road and Stop 11 Road, Southport Road
or Banta Road.
I can be downtown quickly (except rush hour) via Bluff Road or to the Airport via 465.
Thanks Hapalee.

How far is Bluff Rd from airport without traffic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis