Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 08:08 PM

129 posts, read 466,143 times

Advertisements

I'm starting at IU this Summer.

How is the weather in Bloomington?

I know there can sometimes be tornadoes! How often are they?

Are they something that I should be concerned about or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 PM

17,997 posts, read 9,005,614 times
We get about around 10-14 Tornadoes a year.

Beware that Snow/Ice Storms in Southern Indiana will leave you without power for up to weeks at a time. in some cases

Old 03-19-2009, 07:01 AM

68 posts, read 358,112 times
I went to IU as well. You will hear the tornado sirens somewhat regularly during tornado season. The smart thing to do is get into your basement (or interior room of an apartment/house if you don't have a basement). We didn't have a single tornado in the many years I was out there. It's possible, of course, just as hurricanes, earthquakes, you name it, are possible in other parts of the country. IU is actually pretty near a significant fault line (earthquakes), but that's another story.

Anyway, no, you shouldn't be worried. The potential for natural events is no worse than anywhere else in the country. IU hasn't blown away yet.

Regarding power losses, I didn't experience a single one in the many years I was there, outside of an occasional short loss from a storm (20 minutes or so).

You'll love the IU campus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingnjkbling View Post
I'm starting at IU this Summer.

How is the weather in Bloomington?

I know there can sometimes be tornadoes! How often are they?

Are they something that I should be concerned about or no?

Old 03-20-2009, 08:23 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,232,080 times
Bloomington does not get 10-14 tornados a year to clarify. The warning sirens may go off that many times, but it is only a warning indicating conditions are good for a tornado. If the sirens go off, find a safe place in a basement or the center of the house. Have a battery operated radio handy so you can listen for news. Nothing to panic about.

In the summer it is hot (typically in the 80's with some 90 degree days thrown in) and quite humid in Bloomington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis