U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:58 AM

201 posts, read 881,146 times

Advertisements

Ive been looking at moving from the overpriced east coast to the midwest where a person can still afford a place to live.

I came across the Indianapolis area. The crime is a little high in Indianapolis itself for me, but I found this outlying city/town, that seems a little more my speed, and isnt too far from the Indianapolis metro area.

My question is this. It seems in a great deal of midwest towns (Cincinnati for example), the city itself has grown so large, it actually has enveloped outlying towns, and its not common to see a nice town, surrounded on all sides by the Cincinnatis ghettos. It seems every town with moderatley priced houses (around 150k at max), has this symptom. Is Greenwood one of those such towns? Is it completely enveloped by Indianapolis? Looking at a map, it appears to be just outside of the Indianapolis sprawl, but Ive never been there so I cant know for sure.

Could anyone answer this? And if so, how are the surrounding areas? I really dont want to move in to what looks to be a nice town, until you walk 5 blocks up the street and enter the burnt out row houses of some of the worst neighborhoods of the surrounding city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 11:49 AM

4,012 posts, read 10,858,878 times
To me, Indianapolis is one huge metropolis with little centers all around it. Greenwood used to be a separate city with a little downtown and houses radiating off of it. Personally, it is a drive thru to get where we want to go. Not much to stop at. Fewer unique stores and restauarants than the rest of Indy. However, there are a lot of neighborhoods around Greenwood with very reasonable homes and nicely kept lots. $150,000 would be fine. Check out mibor.com for all the multiple listings. Enough to get you started. Just dont expect too much "town" from any of our suburbs. That said I am going to be looking to buy a patio home in Greenwood when I retire. Prices are lower, all the services and shopping that is needed is there and it is closer to the airport.

Fishers and Carmel are somewhat more like small new cities with a lot of retail, subdivisions and driving. Good schools though. But the $150,000 will be the issue in those communities.

I live downtown (see some previous posts) and love it.

For $150,000 and if I had a job anywhere south of Washington Street, I would be looking at areas around Greenwood. Note: Stay somewhat away from the big developments along some of the southwest side of Greenwood, like Heartwood Crossing. I am hearing about lots of potential foreclosures due to these subprime loans and while garage shopping there, I was very disappointed in the design and layout of the subdivisions.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:32 PM

28 posts, read 165,222 times
Any of Indianapolis’ suburban communities are fine if you don’t mind driving to everything you need/want. Most of them do not have a very distinct center; they are principally miles and miles of subdivisions with strip centers and “big box” retail along major corridors and intersections. However, most homes and yards within the subdivisions are well kempt. If you are looking for something that has a little more flare and local community feel to it, then you might consider Zionsville, Danville, Noblesville, Carmel or Franklin. These communities all have very nice, distinct centers with surrounding historic neighborhoods.

You also may want to consider Irvington which is one of Indianapolis’ original suburbs. It is about 15 minutes from Downtown Indianapolis and is a very nice and quiet community. Irvington is not near any “burnt out” areas. In fact, there are only a few areas in the City that you might consider burnt out and none of these places are near them. You can also reference the Indy neighborhood guide provided in another post.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 13,842 times
Smile Greenwood/Center Grove Area is Great

I'm somewhat biased as I live on the southside, but there is no where else in the city I would rather live. I have lived in Carmel and I have lived on the west side (Eagle Creek area) and although each place had there pros and cons, there is no other place quite like the southside.

Carmel/Noblesville/Fishers/McCordsville/Zionsville are extremely expensive and the traffic and congestion is ridiculous, especially if you have to drive to work downtown. Granted, the area is nice, new malls, tons of shops, mom and pop restaraunts, but you have to be willing to put up with a lot of the problems of an area that wasn't quite ready for extreme population growth. The property taxes are very high and the traffic stinks. When I lived there, my perception was that there was a lot of the "keeping up with the Jones' mentality, which works for some, but definitely not me. I'm sure not everyone feels that way, but that was just my take.

I'm born and raised here on the southside and I have to say that there is a small town feel as there is what I call the "six degrees of separation" here on the southside. A lot of the families here have lived here for a long time and sometimes it seems everyone knows everyone. Most people are very friendly and extremely welcoming and the schools are great (not sure if you have kids or not), and there is a small town community atmosphere. There is a mix of housing options, I would say the extreme upscale neighborhoods are in Center Grove, but you can also find very nice established neighbhorhoods w/ trees, sidewalks, etc. anywhere. So regardless of your budget, the southside is a great deal for the money compared to other areas of the city.

In regards to the poster that mentioned staying away from the southwest side and Heartland Crossing, they are correct to an extent. There are a lot of these vinyl siding production neighborhoods that have sprouted up all over the city, not just the Heartland Crossing area that have caused foreclosures to jump (thanks for ruining the real estate market CP Morgan!), but if you've watched the news, that's happening all over the country, not just here. Heartland Crossing is located some distance from the G'wood area, but there are some neighbhorhoods in G'wood that have had the same foreclosure problem. You'll typically know them when you see them. Cookie cutter houses built in about 2 months is generally the theme there, plus every other house will have a for sale sign in the yard. But on the other side of that, Greenwood and the southside (far southside of Marion County, Northern Johnson Co) has a lot of great housing options and some beautiful established, existing neighborhoods. Try visiting mibor.com and doing a search on Marion Co (Indianapolis)>Perry Twp> and see what comes up. Also try doing a mibor.com search on Johnson Co>White River Twp, Pleasant Twp and Franklin.

I'd be happy to answer any additional questions you have. Like I said, I was born and raised here, and would be happy to provide any additional information! Good luck on your search! I think you'll like the Hooser State and Hoosier Hospitality!

Old 03-31-2007, 04:48 PM

197 posts, read 1,033,201 times
OK....here it goes....I found this forum due to a job relocation to Knoxville, TN and why not help with my experience in living in Greenwood for the past 3 Years. We "LOVE IT" and I can tell you why:

- Reasonable house prices
- Very (I mean VERY) safe
- Good schools including a very good private catholic school
- 10 to 15 minutes and you're downtown Indianapolis
- Old downtown Greenwood is nice to drive by or stop for an ice-cream
- Lots of parks with playgrounds for kids (we have a 3 Year old)
- Easy access to the major highways

The not so good things:

- There is some sprawl, but not too bad
- Some risk of tornadoes, but that is valid for most of Indiana anyway.

I live at a subdvision called Woodgate from Davis Homes and we like it a lot.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:41 PM

201 posts, read 881,146 times
Thanks for all the great information.

Some facts about me, and maybe you can tell me if Greenwood should be my spot.

1. Im coming from a really bad city, in a pretty bad area (Norfolk, VA, Hampton Roads, VA). I routinely go to sleep to sirens or gunshots, and I really do not want this for my wife or future children.

2. Im not really concerned about "unique houses" or the number of foreclosures. If I could get a simple 3 or 4 bedroom, 1500 sqft, and a little bit of a yard for around 150k or less, and in an area that I dont have to bar my windows, that is great.

3. I have a college degree in finance, and some additional coursework in accounting, as well as having some experience as an accountant. There is nothing in Norfolk, VA for me, but looking at Indianapolis, there was 12 pages of accounting jobs on Monster over a week span I looked at, many of which I was qualified for, and all of which started at 5k more then here at minimum for the same job. That said, Im no executive, and Im thinking I can probably reasonably expect around 40k maybe. There is no way I could even hope to afford any of those higher priced "northern" towns, but I think I could swing something in the southern ones maybe.

4. I dont mind suburban sprawl, or big box stores. The thing Im trying to escape is not the repetiveness and crowding of the city, but the crime, poor job opportunities, low pay, and unaffordable housing of the Norfolk, VA area. Cookie cutter 4 bedroom vinyl job in the 'burbs some of you would consider below standards, would be a real dream come true for me.

5. All that said, my primary concerns are

- House affordabilty
- Crime rate
- Distance to jobs (primarily Indianapolis)

Nothing else really concerns me.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:20 PM

17,696 posts, read 38,267,820 times
You'll be very happy in Greenwood! If schools may be a concern in the future try to stick to White River Twp/Center Grove schools.

You also may want to check out Avon, Plainfield and the communities that are in the Mt. Vernon school system (Mt. Comfort/McCordsville/Fortville) and New Palestine.

Best of luck!

Old 04-10-2007, 06:56 AM

I think you would love any area around Greenwood. But get your job first if possible. Buy closer to where you work. Dont let the house cause problems with commuting.

I Love the areas surrounding Greenwood. Although I live right downtown in Indy since I work there, I will probably be moving to a condo within a mile of the Greenwood Park Mall when I retire. I like the slightly slower pace of living. I can always visit the fancy areas and shop but in Greenwood I can get a ranch condo with no maintenance with 3b/3b and a two car garage for about $180,000 in a brand new subdivision. If I want a tiny house but no need for a car 90% of the time, I would buy in Broad Ripple or within walking distance to BroadRipple High School. Everything would be within a wonderful walking distance then.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:59 AM

I want to add that I personally think there are few of the crime areas you describe in Indy. The police know where they are and so do most of us. For example, the Meadows area. They are easy to avoid. But crime happens everywhere.

North of where I live used to be called Dodge City due to the gunfire. However, with a huge revitalization effort, it is now called Fall Creek Place and had literally hundreds of beautiful new homes and great infrastructure. The area is expanding. Very peaceful.

Indy is so big and the cost of living so low, there are nice areas all over.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 5,746 times
We moved to Greenwood from the horrible traffic in Hamilton County. We really like it and do not live in Greenwood proper. We moved one mile east of I 65 and feel like our home is in the country but if we drive one mile west, we are in the city. Just be careful and look at the traffic pattern before you buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis