Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 09:46 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSandsYucca View Post
I agree that Denver's eastward panorama is "nothing to write home about." It is dull, mostly brown, and almost featureless. Still, there's something exhilarating to me how the city is built upon the high, windswept prairie that slowly builds & builds in elevation, until it finally reaches the mile high line, at the abrupt, jagged line of the Rockies. It's called the "Queen City of the Prairie." With snowflakes fluttering down sometimes into June, the major sports, highly educated and high tech town, set against the backdrop of the Rockies, has a strong civic pride & personality that is understandable. Like anywhere, though, high & dry Colorado is not for everybody, though. (And, yes, I am surprised that the city isn't growing even more out on the open prairie. However, suburban SE Aurora and Parker are pushing out that way.)

.................................................. .................................................. ........

Lol That this thread started 10 years ago. I never would have believed a thread that old would be lingering near the top...
Technically, the mile high elevation is at the capitol--there's a marker on one of the steps, where the mountains are quite a ways off in the distance. And in over 40 years there, I only saw snow in June once.

Someone recently revived this thread after several years.

In any case, it's unusual to find someone who likes both Denver and Indianapolis. I'm glad you find much to like about both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 10:49 AM

226 posts, read 576,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Technically, the mile high elevation is at the capitol--there's a marker on one of the steps, where the mountains are quite a ways off in the distance. And in over 40 years there, I only saw snow in June once.

Someone recently revived this thread after several years.

In any case, it's unusual to find someone who likes both Denver and Indianapolis. I'm glad you find much to like about both.
I'm just saying, in general, the city is built on mile high prairie. If you could see states to the east of Colorado (Nebraska, Kansas) on their side views, they would seen tilting up upward to the west, as the land builds a higher & higher elevation moving out towards the Rockies, the entire land mass of North America bulging upwards. Denver is built on that high, dry, windswept land. In mid spring, you can drive from greening Omaha or Kansas City and watch it look more & more like winter, like the clock is rewinding, driving out to Denver. (If driving north, that change is understandable, but it is kinda strange when driving east-west with elevation changes on the plains occuring so slowly that it is not discernable, with the exception of the look of brown & white winter returning.) The streets & skyscrapers of Downtown Denver are some 4,000 feet (+ -) higher than the streets & skyscrapers of Downtown Kansas City and Omaha to the east.

I was there only 3 or so years, and I saw flakes come down in June once. Even western mountainous cities a 1,000 foot lower than Denver have shorter, quicker summers, and snowflakes arent unheard of in June -- although it isnt an every year thing. The mountains can see snow any time of year, technically.

Ultimately: If there is any major American city that can sometimes see a snowflake in June, it is Denver, Colorado. Yep, I'm sure song bird Vanessa Williams was singing about the Mile High City. (Kidding around -- of course. But, if not Denver, where would fit that lyric?)

I can appreciate all cities, with their unique differences. Denver and Indianapolis are both great towns & progressive, sports-lovin' centralized capitol cities in their own ways, imo.

Last edited by WhiteSandsYucca; 07-09-2019 at 11:46 AM..

Old 07-09-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSandsYucca View Post

I was there only 3 or so years, and I saw flakes come down in June once. Even western mountainous cities a 1,000 foot lower than Denver have shorter, quicker summers, and snowflakes arent unheard of in June -- although it isnt an every year thing. The mountains can see snow any time of year, technically.

Ultimately: If there is any major American city that can sometimes see a snowflake in June, it is Denver, Colorado. Yep, I'm sure song bird Vanessa Williams was singing about the Mile High City. (Kidding around -- of course. But, if not Denver, where would fit that lyric?)
You must have lived there in 1997. It snows in June in Denver about as often as it rains in the winter, but I don't know about the sun going 'round the moon.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
You must have lived there in 1997. It snows in June in Denver about as often as it rains in the winter, but I don't know about the sun going 'round the moon.

Lol. Good one. There's just about the tickling opening lines/lyrics to that song that makes people (including me) get goofy...

I witnessed a light snow shower near Downtown Denver around very early June (maybe even June 1st) probably in the year 1998-2000. Not sure. In fact, I remember thinking of VW's lyrics.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:47 PM

Correction: There's just something about...

Old 07-28-2019, 06:34 PM

79 posts, read 91,462 times
I know this is an old post, but....
We relocated here (Plainfield, IN) from Denver in 2017. Now, the big difference being that I am originally from southern Illinois, so I am a midwest girl at heart.
What I miss most about Denver: the weather and the scenery
What I miss least about Denver: the traffic and the price of real estate

You will find Indy much more favorable from a cost of living standpoint. The people are quite friendly. Depending on the area you choose, not a lot of diversity out in the burbs.
Lots of job opportunity here. Traffic is waaayyyy better than trying to get down I25. We lived in Thornton and I had to drive to the city for work and I HATED my drive. We still have I70, lol, but it does not jam up even close to how it does in Denver.
One of my co-workers also transferred here from Denver. He was Denver born and raised. He is struggling with the humidity. I totally get it. I LOVED the dry air in Denver. Otherwise, he likes a lot of things about living here. He bought a house twice the size of his Denver house for cheaper.

The Indy airport is fantastic. No more DIA- yay!! Super easy to get in and out of, with tons of cheap flight options.
It really depends on what you're looking for, but even though Denver is absolutely beautiful with lots of great things about it, I'd rather live in Indy.

Last edited by junebug_77; 07-28-2019 at 06:52 PM..

Old 07-28-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug_77 View Post
What I miss most about Denver: the weather and the scenery
Denver is absolutely beautiful....
If you hadn't mentioned Denver, Colorado landmarks, I'd have assumed you were from some other Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis