Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,413 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on relocating to Indy this summer and have a couple of potential jobs lined up - downtown and at the IU med area. I'm very familiar with the Indy area, as I have relatives who live there and I have personally lived in Noblesville and Greenfield. I have never worked in downtown and never had to commute there on a regular basis during traditional rush hour times, so I'm wondering what some of the commute times look like. I'd prefer to not be around the Avon/Plainfield area as I don't care to be quite that close to airplanes overhead (even if it isn't too loud - anxiety issues there) and I don't want to drive into the sunrise/sunset. I'd be open to pretty much any of the towns on the north side or south side. I know I can find adequate housing and decent schools in those areas. I like the Washington Township schools, but haven't seen much in the way of nice housing with good areas for gardening and not on a busy street. I don't really care to go east to Greenfield, but Mt.Vernon or Lawrence areas might be ok. I don't want to be in any crummy school districts. As an educator who is in an administrative graduate program, I'm very up-to-date on all of the school data available.

So, for quality of living, my drive time will probably be a major deciding factor, and the one I'm least familiar with. Right now, I'm leaning toward Greenwood/Center Grove, thinking the commute up 37 would be a lot better (smoother, less frequent problems) than any of the commutes from the north side (69, Fall Creek, Meridian, etc....)

Could you give me some of your expert advice? Maybe some actual drive times from your place to downtown during rush times? Any help you can give would be great.

Thanks!
Ashley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 11:25 AM

45 posts, read 111,501 times
You can get to I-465 from Center Grove on SR 37 in about 15 mintues during normal traffic. From there it will be another 25-30 mintues depending on traffic. I grew up west of Center Grove between SR 37 and SR 67 on SR 144. Center Grove is a nice area and good schools, but they have some of the HIGHEST property taxes in the area. Greenwood/Perry Twnship schools are excellent as well, but more congested.

If you are looking at commuting to IU Med Center at the IUPUI Campus, you might try looking at Mooresville and make the drive up SR 67 (Kentucky Avenue). It will be about the same time to I-464, but it should be quicker than SR 37 because it is a little further west. Once you get to I-465, you can get to the IUPUI campus in about 15 to 25 minutes depending on traffic.

My sister makes this exact commute everyday from Mooresville to IU Riley Children's Hospital. She said it takes her 30-40 mintues depending on traffic going SR 67.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:49 PM

17,997 posts, read 9,033,237 times
You hit it right on the spot ^^

Old 04-22-2009, 01:10 PM

45 posts, read 111,501 times
I lived in Indy for the first thirty years of my life. I moved to marry my best friend who was from Pittsburgh. I use to get back every month when my mother was alive, but after she passed, my father moved to Florida and my brother moved to Texas. We only get back about once a year now. I really miss it.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:18 AM

369 posts, read 679,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by splash1978 View Post
I don't really care to go east to Greenfield, but Mt.Vernon or Lawrence areas might be ok. I don't want to be in any crummy school districts. As an educator who is in an administrative graduate program, I'm very up-to-date on all of the school data available.

So, for quality of living, my drive time will probably be a major deciding factor, and the one I'm least familiar with. Right now, I'm leaning toward Greenwood/Center Grove, thinking the commute up 37 would be a lot better (smoother, less frequent problems) than any of the commutes from the north side (69, Fall Creek, Meridian, etc....)

Could you give me some of your expert advice? Maybe some actual drive times from your place to downtown during rush times? Any help you can give would be great.
I live just inside Hancock County, within a half mile of Indianapolis/Cumberland, in a non-incorporated area. I am 2.5 miles from the 600W/Mt. Comfort Rd. I-70 exit. I have driven from this interchange to IUPUI for the last 14 years of my life, so I know it well. If you hit that interchange before 7:15AM, traffic not bad at all. I noticed that every five mins after this time (this is coming from the south, not north), traffic on I-70, especially after passing under I-465 got worse. Right now, I have to be at work at 7AM hours. I can leave at 6:15 and make it without having to worry about getting pulled over and such on I-70. It is a very quick and easy drive.

I am in the Mt. Vernon School district and I wish I wasn't. I would rather be in the New Palestine School district. The districts very, because there are some homes/additions on the north side of US 40/Washington St. where the kids go to New Palestine even though the home is in Buck Creek Township. If you are going to live close to Indy, New Palestine is the best in my opinion. Mt. Vernon middle school and high school are very far away from Buck Creek Township. I also hear there are other issues with Mt. Vernon as well. Seriously look into the New Palestine area. What I liked about the New Pal area is that there is a small town feel, but you are seriously close to a varity of things. It takes less than 30 mins. to get downtown outside of rush hour. I drove to Fishers the back way and it only takes 30mins. to get there. This is why the east side of Indy won't ever get better in terms of shopping, everyone from this area has no problem driving the 20-30 mins. to Fishers/Noblesville/Carmel/Greenwood for shopping and dining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis