Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 21,899 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody. I am going to be moving to Indy August of this year, I've been accepted into a program at IUPUI that will pay most of my tuition. I've also hooked up with a few people I know and I'm going to be getting an apartment in Greenfield, Just east of Indianapolis. Basically, my questions are...

How long of a commute is it from Greenfield to downtown Indianapolis? Does the freeway (70) get very congested? (If so, I doubt as badly as it did when I lived in san diego, Yikes!)

Is there much in greenfield? Or, will I have to commute to Indianapolis for most things? (Such as Wal-Mart, Sam's club, any "Big" stores)

In terms of politics, which areas of the city are more liberal or conservative? (Indianapolis itself) My girlfriend is morseo into the liberal politics side of things (While I generally don't care), but I wanna answer her question.

Another question, which time of the year is generally the sunniest? I do realize that the weather there is generally really cloudy, rainy, and humid most of the time; especially compared to Prescott, AZ where I am now (Where it is almost always sunny, and the weather is fantastic). Me and my girlfriend like to spend alot of time outdoors, we realize indiana is essentially flat as hell compared to here, and the weather doesn't like to cooperate. But regardless, is there any time of the year where the weather might be cooperative enough to let us have a nice outing?

Also, are the people in indy generally friendly? I know that's sort of subjective, but a guy can ask, no?

Anyway, thanks in advance! One thing I know I will enjoy though, is the lower living costs. It's impossible to live in a decent house out here unless you're rich, or you live in the middle of absolute nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 09:22 AM

891 posts, read 2,443,183 times
Let me answer your weather question, since I am a little bit of a weather nerd.

The sunniest months of the year are August and September. June and July are also sunny, but we tend to get more rain in those months and have more thunderstorms. I am talking in very much generalities. The nicest time of the year is Septemeber through mid October. Less humid, not much rain and plenty of days in the lower 70's and 60's. Winter will be a shock for you - but the thing you will notice first thing starting in mid November is how dark and cloudy it is. Not unusual to go a whole week and never see the sun especially in late November and December.

I know where Greenfield is, but have never been there. Commute is probably 35 -40 minutes. Traffic shouldn't be too bad - although at rush hours it might be a little bad. During a snowstorm it will be terrible and likely take 2 to 3 times as long to get to where you are going. I don't know what Greenfield has by way of Wal-Mart, Sams.... One thing I will say is the eastside of Indy I think is horrible, so as you leave Greenfield and enter eastside of Indy just be aware.

Greenfield is very conservative. Indianapolis as a whole is moderately conservative. Downtown and Broad Ripple areas are most liberal areas.

People are very friendly

Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 AM

8,951 posts, read 17,198,426 times
Greenfield has a Super Wal-Mart. That is the extent of my own personal knowledge of Greenfield. Oh, there is a Hardee's too.

I drive Interstate 70 from downtown Indy to 465 every day. Going from Greenfield into DT in the morning and vice versa during the evening commute the traffic is heavy. Most days traffic is at a stand still at some points; but certainly not like what you would see in San Diego (I have never been west of Colorado so that is a total guess; people from other places tell me Indy has no traffic).

The eastside is not *as bad* as some will lead you to believe. I go out there all the time (the Target at Washington Square Mall is my Target of choice until they put one downtown); East Washington has alot of chain restaurants and big box stuff.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:05 AM

295 posts, read 946,639 times
not to change the topic but why would you want to go to Greenfield? if you're going to be studying at IUPUI, I would look for an apartment downtown or close to it (broadripple, north (Nora), or northwest (86th, 96th streets). Something close to the monon would be fun too if you are into biking, running, etc.

Weather isn't as great as the sunbelt states (I now live in Texas and it's WAY sunnier here) but it isn't bad either. There's plenty of sunny days in the spring/summer/fall and yeah the only crappy time is the winter... too cold and too dark!

I never had issues making new friends in Indy. Very easygoing people (in general).

Old 05-14-2009, 09:40 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,552,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadeth View Post
Hello everybody. I am going to be moving to Indy August of this year, I've been accepted into a program at IUPUI that will pay most of my tuition. I've also hooked up with a few people I know and I'm going to be getting an apartment in Greenfield, Just east of Indianapolis. Basically, my questions are...

How long of a commute is it from Greenfield to downtown Indianapolis? Does the freeway (70) get very congested? (If so, I doubt as badly as it did when I lived in san diego, Yikes!)

Is there much in greenfield? Or, will I have to commute to Indianapolis for most things? (Such as Wal-Mart, Sam's club, any "Big" stores)

In terms of politics, which areas of the city are more liberal or conservative? (Indianapolis itself) My girlfriend is morseo into the liberal politics side of things (While I generally don't care), but I wanna answer her question.

Another question, which time of the year is generally the sunniest? I do realize that the weather there is generally really cloudy, rainy, and humid most of the time; especially compared to Prescott, AZ where I am now (Where it is almost always sunny, and the weather is fantastic). Me and my girlfriend like to spend alot of time outdoors, we realize indiana is essentially flat as hell compared to here, and the weather doesn't like to cooperate. But regardless, is there any time of the year where the weather might be cooperative enough to let us have a nice outing?

Also, are the people in indy generally friendly? I know that's sort of subjective, but a guy can ask, no?

Anyway, thanks in advance! One thing I know I will enjoy though, is the lower living costs. It's impossible to live in a decent house out here unless you're rich, or you live in the middle of absolute nowhere.
I need to advice you that if you are new to Indy or Indiana, dont move to Greenfield. Dont get me wrong. It's a nice town BUT very narrowminded and unnacepting of 'outsiders'. The only people who 'fit in' in Greenfield are those who have lived there almost their entire lives. Yes, the town is a bit snooty. Thats just the way it is. May I suggest areas like Plainfield or Brownsburg (both west) or Greenwood (south). They are closer and at the very edge of Indianapolis. It sounds like Carmel and Fishers (both north) will B too expensive for you. But the Castleton neighborhood on the NE side may be good for you. It's closer to the more 'hip' areas of town and is actually within the city of Indianapolis. The crime is pretty low around there too.

As for the rest of the Indianapolis area, people of all personalities abide. You will probably find Hoosiers to be friendlier than out in AZ. Indiana is also a 'family-oriented' area of the country, with its Midwest values. That is a fact. As for 'liberals', they and 'conservatives' live everywhere and not just in a certain part of the city. I can tell you, however, that southern Indianapolis/Marion County is overhwhelmingly Republican if that says anything.

good luck. Dont expect Indy to be anything like what you'de find in AZ. Indy is Midwestern. Plain and simple. But nice nonetheless, depending on where you live.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:50 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,552,522 times
oh yes. I forgot to mention NOT to live on the East side of Indianapolis. Its almost nothing but grime and grit. Your best bet as far as safety goes, is outside the 465 beltway on the far west, far south and far north are waayyy better. I'm certainly not liberal, but Broad Ripple is. However, BR is older and actually pretty 'hip' as far as the rest of Indianapolis goes, with a large number of bungalows. David Letterman grew up in that neighbrohood and graduated from BR High School. Just thought I'd share that interesting fact. You may be best served living near Castleton (NE) and 86th/Keystone areas. Both are pretty safe and close to shopping and the like. Its about 20 minutes into IUPUI/downtown from there, depending on time of day and traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis