Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,939 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Indy area this summer and I am not too familiar with the area. I've been told to stay outside the loop because crime is high, but I don't have any facts to back that up. Can anyone offer suggestions on where I should start looking?

A little bit about me...

-single, early 30's, no kids
-looking to purchase a home (up to $200k)
-will be working out of Plainfield, IN but am flexible on location, would like to have no more than 30-40 minute drive.
-looking for an area with close proximity to parks, golf, shopping, nightlife, etc.
-ideally this would be a growing area!!!

I love the outdoors (water & forest) so some people I've talked to recommend Brownsburg or Zionsville b/c of its proximity to a big park in the area.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by boxster05; 05-18-2009 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: added content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 02:37 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,896 times
I would suggest Avon, Brownsburg and Zonsville. Your dollar will spread further in Avon and Brownsburg, and both are close enough to Eagle Creek park which is very nice. I live in Avon, so clearly, I am biased toward it. There are nice parks all over the palce here, but Eagle Creek is bigger and has a golf course and all that.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:30 PM

38 posts, read 131,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster05 View Post
I will be moving to the Indy area this summer and I am not too familiar with the area. I've been told to stay outside the loop because crime is high, but I don't have any facts to back that up. Can anyone offer suggestions on where I should start looking?

A little bit about me...

-single, early 30's, no kids
-looking to purchase a home (up to $200k)
-will be working out of Plainfield, IN but am flexible on location, would like to have no more than 30-40 minute drive.
-looking for an area with close proximity to parks, golf, shopping, nightlife, etc.
-ideally this would be a growing area!!!

I love the outdoors (water & forest) so some people I've talked to recommend Brownsburg or Zionsville b/c of its proximity to a big park in the area.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I personally love the Brownsburg area but I love Greenwood also which is on Indy's Southside. If you are looking for shopping then I would recommend the Northern Suburbs which have a lot of shopping centers. Of course Plainfield just built Metropolis which is an Urban outdoor mall. Good thing about Plainfield too is that its growing cause of the airport and also the airport is only right down the road! Think about it! Overall its your choice!

Old 05-19-2009, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,871 times
Default Welcome

Hey welcome to the area! I moved from Michigan also two summers ago to Avon. This is a great area to move to. I was from Kalamazoo and found a huge difference in life style down here. As of a location i would also have to agree with Avon. It is a very nice little town with tons of businesses near by. The area is very friendly and welcoming. As for parks, there are not too many in Avon but there are a bunch of parks in Plainfield. Hope this helps you out.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:45 AM

682 posts, read 1,629,283 times
You should look at some of the downtown neighborhoods like Holy Cross, Fall Creek Place, Prices are very reasonable and you wont wind up in a cookie cutter box like you will in the burbs. Close to entertainment and the commute to Plainfield doesnt take long at all. You are also pretty centrally located to all the Indy parks and golfing.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:29 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,068 times
As far as crime goes, its only a matter of perspective. But coming from MI, Indy doesnt have nearly the crime Detroit does. Just thought you'de like to know that. Yes, crime is almost exclusively in inner-city neighborhoods that are within the I-465 beltway. But there are some areas within 465 that are good: far northern or southern Indy/Marion County. $200K will get your far anywhere in Indiana. If Plainfield is where you work, why not settle there or in Avon? Both are excellent communities. And the nature and water and golf opportunties you seek are found near Eagle Creek Reservoir on the NW side of Indianapolis. Dont know what 'water' and 'forest' you want, cuz there isnt much in Central Indiana. However, Plainfield is not far from Eagle Creek Reservoir. Indy is definately big enough for you to find something to do. In around downtown Indy is the best for things to do. If you want to be near great shopping I would suggest the Castleton area on the NE side of Indy, or Greenwood, as it is the closest to routes (SR 37 and 135 and I-65) that take you thru southern Indiana's lakes and forests. There's golfing opportunites on all sides of the metro area, especially near Carmel in Hamilton County. From Plainfield into downtown Indianapolis is very convenient, as Plainfield is next to I-70. Most of Indy's suburbs are excellent in suburban living. Except for Carmel or maybe Fishers, Indy's suburbs are all pretty much the same.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:40 PM

13 posts, read 74,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Most of Indy's suburbs are excellent in suburban living. Except for Carmel or maybe Fishers, Indy's suburbs are all pretty much the same.
So this begs the question... what's different about "Carmel or maybe Fishers"? My impression is that Carmel may be more upscale "stuck up", but this is just my impression from doing some research. (No offense to anyone in these areas, of course not everyone from an area can be lumped together and generalized accurately). We're hoping to tour some homes out there in a few weeks.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:49 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,896 times
I've been spending a bit of time in Carmel lately showing homes and I had a closing up there last week. My biggest complaint is the traffic, and the higher home prices. I do like the mall a lot, and they seem to have a lot of nice, big office buildings. Your dollar definitely stretches further in Avon/Plainfield than in Carmel/Fishers.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:52 PM

13 posts, read 74,203 times
Thanks for the feedback. We've definitely noticed that the dollar doesn't go as far in Carmel particularly. We're also looking at Noblesville on recommendation from a coworker out there.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:44 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveReloc View Post
So this begs the question... what's different about "Carmel or maybe Fishers"? My impression is that Carmel may be more upscale "stuck up", but this is just my impression from doing some research. (No offense to anyone in these areas, of course not everyone from an area can be lumped together and generalized accurately). We're hoping to tour some homes out there in a few weeks.
I was saying that Carmel and Fishers are more 'upscale' than the rest of Indy's suburbs, as a whole. There isnt much of a difference between Noblesville, Westfield, Brownsburg, Avon, Plainfield, Greenwood, Franklin or Greenfield. They all pretty much look and feel the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis