Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 05:22 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,984,318 times

Advertisements

Can you see historic preservationists someday trying to replicate authentic vinyl siding and windows for a vinyl village historic district? I also have images (nightmares, rather) in my head of Insul-brick siding being replicated.

I think it's evidence of how far things such as quality and ambience have declined in the last hundred years, that the poor worker's housing of 1900, which was brick and has stood over a hundred years and weathered urban blight and flight, will surely outlast anything from vinyl village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 05:43 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,074,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Can you see historic preservationists someday trying to replicate authentic vinyl siding and windows for a vinyl village historic district?
Thanks for the image. I'll have nightmares now too.

The good news is that we won't be around to see it. Ha!

Old 04-27-2010, 11:20 AM

423 posts, read 1,242,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post

I think it's evidence of how far things such as quality and ambience have declined in the last hundred years, that the poor worker's housing of 1900, which was brick and has stood over a hundred years and weathered urban blight and flight, will surely outlast anything from vinyl village.
Welcome to the legacy of the secondary and adjustable rate mortgage markets. Someday people will look at housing from the 1990s and oughties and see that as its legacy: big cheap housing that was falling down within fifty years. For the sake of people living in these homes now, I hope I'm wrong.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:13 PM

4 posts, read 8,769 times
It took me along time time to reply I don't come on here often but NOBODY NOBODY is going to complain about NYC because they are in their own world. IF painting houses purple was the IN thing as long as NYC started it or liked it, it wouldn't be a problem lol. I'll tell you one thing Pittsburgh isn't the place to move to see live old ugl row houses .They are called BROWNSTONES in the rich part of NYC but I call them $1.000.000 row houses 4 blocks from the GHETTO. Really my discussion was about Pittsburgh or Indianapolis........ I'm not going to continue about NYC because NYC isn't part of my forum but as for the TRIBECA area so on so forth I would want my realtor to feed me a crock of ...... also to sell me a $3,000,000 hole in the wall and to fill my brain with garbage so I wouldn't realize how horrific the city is.....Really Pittsburgh is to affordable to be stuck in a row house with a 2 foot front yard LOL.You can put a pic of those awful mountains,over rated rowhouses and cloudy skyline all you want,,, Indianapolis will always be advised 100% over Pittsburgh BY ME

Old 05-04-2010, 11:40 PM

4 posts, read 8,769 times
Pittsburgh was ONCE established more than Indianapolis but not anymore as far Indianapolis trying to establish it self they have established a thing called POPULATION your census numbers are out of date show me figures from the 1960's until now your clever you didn't want to do that because after the great STEEl downfall Pittsburgh saw a decrease a drastic decrease I call it the end of a mountainous city era lol lmfao some people moved from Pittsburgh to Indianapolis some went other places some stayed with the mountains but either way it goes Indianapolis is thriving in ways Pittsburgh can't even begin to imagine stop looking at those old numbers and forget about the job losses in both places and look at the activities and concerts,sport events etc..... Pittsburgh is untouchable to Indianapolis OH yeah the Indianapolis population is ranked # 14 on wikipedia.com thanks wiki can you tell me where is Pittsburgh is on the list lol? IS ANYBODY FROM INDIANAPOLIS OUT THERE ...LOVING IT lmfao

Last edited by PrettyBrownEyes; 05-04-2010 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: jjnon

Old 05-05-2010, 01:03 PM

638 posts, read 926,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBrownEyes View Post
Pittsburgh was ONCE established more than Indianapolis but not anymore as far Indianapolis trying to establish it self they have established a thing called POPULATION your census numbers are out of date show me figures from the 1960's until now your clever you didn't want to do that because after the great STEEl downfall Pittsburgh saw a decrease a drastic decrease I call it the end of a mountainous city era lol lmfao some people moved from Pittsburgh to Indianapolis some went other places some stayed with the mountains but either way it goes Indianapolis is thriving in ways Pittsburgh can't even begin to imagine stop looking at those old numbers and forget about the job losses in both places and look at the activities and concerts,sport events etc..... Pittsburgh is untouchable to Indianapolis OH yeah the Indianapolis population is ranked # 14 on wikipedia.com thanks wiki can you tell me where is Pittsburgh is on the list lol? IS ANYBODY FROM INDIANAPOLIS OUT THERE ...LOVING IT lmfao
Wow, you describe Pittsburgh as being on deaths door! LOL Its funny that you have the perception that Indy is making strides over Pittsburgh when the exact opposite is the case. Yes you are correct in your assertion that Pittsburgh experienced a dramatic decline with the collapse existing of the steel industry, however in your focus on this one development you ignored a plethora of economic data that highlights Pittsburgh’s economic assent from this time period.

Just looking at the number of fortune 500 companies residing within the city is demonstrative. Pittsburgh currently has eight while Indy boasts three. Additionally looking at GDP Pittsburgh comes in the clear winner, it ranks 22nd in the nation at 114,707 million while Indy comes in at 31 with 87,645 million. Pittsburgh host three nationally academically recognized universities Duquesne, Carnegie, and Pitt, while Indy truly does not have an institute within the city that ranks academically, unless one includes IUPUI (by tying it to Purdue and IU).

I state all of this to say that Pittsburgh is doing fine. Their economy has gone through some tough periods, however a turnaround has been evident for some time now, and a fully blown recovery is now underway. To be honest Indy would have to boast some pretty hefty economic growth rates to catch up and surpass Pittsburgh

Old 05-05-2010, 01:19 PM

8,940 posts, read 17,164,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
Pittsburgh host three nationally academically recognized universities Duquesne, Carnegie, and Pitt, while Indy truly does not have an institute within the city that ranks academically, unless one includes IUPUI (by tying it to Purdue and IU).
Butler

Old 05-05-2010, 01:30 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,583,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
...Pitt took a huge hit after the collapse of the steel industry, and though it has cleaned up many of the hulking wrecks of factories, the economy is still horrible in the region. It's losing population. Not just the city due to white flight, but the METRO AREA (i.e., even the suburbs are losing population).
That's due entirely to elderly deaths. After the collapse of the steel industry, Pittsburgh was left with the older population of a 3,000,000 metropolitan area, and the younger population of a 2,000,000 metropolitan area. The remains of the 3,000,000 metro area have been shrinking faster than the 2,000,000 metro area has been growing, hence the population loss. Pittsburgh is the only major U.S. metro that's expected to decrease in median age over the next 20 years.

Quote:
...I'm not convinced too many of these high-skilled immigrants remain in Pittsburgh after graduation.
Over half of Pittsburgh's foreign immigrants have college degrees, so it's safe to say that plenty of them are staying.

Quote:
The bad neighborhoods, however, seem far worse than Indy's and many of the suburbs of Pitt are also desperately poor.
Many of those "suburbs" you speak of were tantamount to company towns that developed along the rivers. Once the factories the towns built up around disappeared, the towns had no raison d'etre. Away from the rivers, the genuine suburbs are mostly decent.

Quote:
Downtown Pittsburgh seemed dead after work hours to me, and my friend who lives there vouched for it. He just finished med school and, like virtually everyone else in his program, is leaving town.
I'm sorry he has to leave, but if there really was a "brain drain" in Pittsburgh, then the city wouldn't rank fifth in the percentage of 25- to 34-year-olds with college degrees, or tied for first with Washington DC in the percentage of 25- to 34-year-olds with graduate or professional degrees.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:35 PM

638 posts, read 926,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Butler
I'm sorry, as much as I love Butler, it does not rank nationally academically. Here are 2010's academic ranks by school:

Indy:
IU: 71
Purdue: 61
IUPUI:tier 4 N/A

Pittsburgh:
Carnegie: 22
Duquesne: 128
Pitt: 56

Old 05-05-2010, 02:03 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,074,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
I'm sorry, as much as I love Butler, it does not rank nationally academically. Here are 2010's academic ranks by school:

Indy:
IU: 71
Purdue: 61
IUPUI:tier 4 N/A

Pittsburgh:
Carnegie: 22
Duquesne: 128
Pitt: 56
Go Tartans!

(sorry, couldn't help myself )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis