Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM

797 posts, read 2,337,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazoor View Post
I will be working at Methodist Hospital located at 1701 Senate Blvd. Miniapolis, Indiana. I intend to rent or buy a one or two bedroom condo or townhouse within the waliking distance to the hospital. I am interested to know the approximate rent or the price of such properties. It would be greatly appreciated if I could be given the information requested above.

Thanks
The areas within walking distance of Methodist Hospital probably aren't areas you would want to be walking around in, especially if you will be coming or going after dark. The closest decent places are about a mile away in either the Old North Side (east of Meridian) or down around the north end of the canal. Are you familiar with the area at all or have you visited? Will you have a car or are you willing to drive any distance at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 08:15 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
The areas within walking distance of Methodist Hospital probably aren't areas you would want to be walking around in, especially if you will be coming or going after dark. The closest decent places are about a mile away in either the Old North Side (east of Meridian) or down around the north end of the canal. Are you familiar with the area at all or have you visited? Will you have a car or are you willing to drive any distance at all?
Methodist Hospital is only 3 or four blocks removed from Herron-Morton, which is a fine neighborhood.

They are also developing some nice condos just south of the Methodist campus.

No need to live a mile away, even if you plan to walk.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:10 AM

Yes, Herron-Morton is a nice enough neighborhood. I was just driving down Pennsylvania and up Delaware as recently as a few weeks ago and a lot of the places still looked great. I've seen some younger professional folks around and a few folks out walking their dog, etc. I would say it's fine to live in and even to walk around during most hours, but it's still a half mile to a mile away from the hospital depending on which part of the neighborhood you're in. It's also close enough to some higher crime areas (ie east of Central and along 16th) that I wouldn't feel comfortable walking back alone at night, that's all. Just my opinion.

Attached is a link to an article from the Indiana Business journal about some of the issues with crime/decay in that general area and plans for some revitalization. It's a year old and some progress may already be happening, but it may give you a feel for the nearby neighborhoods. (Grocery, housing projects could rejuvenate stretch of 16th Street | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com)

I've also heard of some new development on 16th south of Methodist with new living options and a future biosciences facility going in, but I didn't think it had gotten very far yet.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:21 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
Quote:
It's also close enough to some higher crime areas (ie east of Central and along 16th) that I wouldn't feel comfortable walking back alone at night, that's all. Just my opinion.
There is progress being made east of Central. It appears that, unlike yourself, I have actually spent time in that area by myself at night. I also know people who live in that area. In fact, I know a female that lives at 19th and Delaware and commutes downtown by bike daily. She also commutes by foot to the CVS at 16th and Meridian and the Kroger just west of College on 16th Street; ofter after dark. There is no reason for people who know little about the area to come onto a forum and talk about it as though it is a rotting dump. It simply is not. Like any urban environment, it is not for everyone; but I know people in the area who have had zero problems doing things people in the burbs seem to think are scary.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 12-23-2010 at 06:38 AM..

Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 AM

There's no need to get offended/offensive. Since when does saying a place is a nice neighborhood with both revitalization and problem areas nearby equate to calling it a 'rotting dump'? No, I haven't lived in the neighborhood or walked around it alone at night, but I've been in the area enough during the day and spent enough time at Methodist both during the day and night to know I wouldn't be comfortable walking that path every day after dark. I'm sure there are lots of people who have not had problems, but I also know specific people who have.

I'm not one of the types of people who lives in the northern burbs because they're scared to go down as far as 86th street at night (yes, they do exist). I've lived in town, biked down the White River corridor and southern Monon alone, shopped on 38th street at night, and all that good stuff. If you know more about this particular area then good for you, but I have just as much a right as you do to give my opinion on the area based on my experiences there.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:56 PM

369 posts, read 681,199 times
Quote:
I'm sure there are lots of people who have not had problems, but I also know specific people who have.
The urban cheerleaders will always act like things aren't that bad. Robberies in Broad Ripple, Nora, and along the 96th St. and Allisonville Rd. corridors have now become a lot more common than in the past. The urban cheerleaders demand people act a certain way when 'living in a city' or 'living in an urban area.' They push their comments to the line, and sometimes they almost cross into the blaming the victim area.

I don't think it has gotten that bad in Indy, but I believe it could easily get there. We have almost eight out of ten African-American babies born in Indiana born to a single mother. We have a sprawling Section 8 area (which I would bet $100 plays a part in the increase in robberies we are seeing in Nora and the 96th St./Allisonville Rd. corridors. We have many younger folks wanting to live this thug life persona, hard/legal work and education be for idiots seems to be their way of thinking.

In area with higher crime than the burbs, residents fall into two categories.
The residents who have had problems we call victims.
The residents who have yet to have problems we call future victims.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 PM

261 posts, read 500,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
There is progress being made east of Central. It appears that, unlike yourself, I have actually spent time in that area by myself at night. I also know people who live in that area. In fact, I know a female that lives at 19th and Delaware and commutes downtown by bike daily. She also commutes by foot to the CVS at 16th and Meridian and the Kroger just west of College on 16th Street; ofter after dark. There is no reason for people who know little about the area to come onto a forum and talk about it as though it is a rotting dump. It simply is not. Like any urban environment, it is not for everyone; but I know people in the area who have had zero problems doing things people in the burbs seem to think are scary.

Why do you always get so offended when people have the audacity to point out that high crime areas in Indianapolis do in-fact have crime?

And I'm not some paranoid suburbanite. I rent a house in the Ransom Place neighborhood which is about as urban as it gets in Indy. I love the house (which has an alarm system) and love the downtown convenience. But at the same time, I understand that things roll a bit differently there than in the suburban areas I'm accustomed to. I'm not going to go stroll the streets around my house at midnight - especially with that dump of a complex called "Campus Apartments" (don't think any students live there) that sits right across 10th street. Any robbery or crime that takes place in that immediate area can usually be traced back to that dump.

It's great that your friend hasn't had any problems walking in that area, but that doesn't mean that others haven't. I know I certainly wouldn't advise a woman to walk that area alone late at night. Paranoid? Maybe. But I'd rather be paranoid than get mugged.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:34 PM

369 posts, read 681,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
I'm not going to go stroll the streets around my house at midnight - especially with that dump of a complex called "Campus Apartments" (don't think any students live there) that sits right across 10th street. Any robbery or crime that takes place in that immediate area can usually be traced back to that dump.
You can bet, with 99.99% certainty, that if a robbery takes place at one of the businesses near Campus Apartments and the robber is seen running away, it is to Campus Apartments. That is why there are so many robberies of businesses at Lockefield Commons. They run right in that Section 8 cesspool, and the people that live there won't tell the cops anything. Of course these are the same people who love jumping in front of TV cameras demanding government "DO SOMETHING!" when another young black male ends up getting shot and killed in the complex (they average about one homicide a year there).

Don't fear though. Word on the street is that Campus Apartments days as an urban cesspool of drugs, shootings, criminal safe haven, etc. is done. They are building that brand new complex due west, and another place just down Indiana Ave.. I guess the folks behind that new project on the land of the old YMCA really would rather Campus Apartments not exist, at least not with the kind of people that currently occupy it.

Should be interesting to see what happens. If Campus Apartments goes away, robberies will drop significantly in the surrounding area.

It is nice to see some urban dwellers on here that don't go around and try to put lipstick on ever pig that represents something negative about urban living.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:24 PM

261 posts, read 500,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
You can bet, with 99.99% certainty, that if a robbery takes place at one of the businesses near Campus Apartments and the robber is seen running away, it is to Campus Apartments. That is why there are so many robberies of businesses at Lockefield Commons. They run right in that Section 8 cesspool, and the people that live there won't tell the cops anything. Of course these are the same people who love jumping in front of TV cameras demanding government "DO SOMETHING!" when another young black male ends up getting shot and killed in the complex (they average about one homicide a year there).

Don't fear though. Word on the street is that Campus Apartments days as an urban cesspool of drugs, shootings, criminal safe haven, etc. is done. They are building that brand new complex due west, and another place just down Indiana Ave.. I guess the folks behind that new project on the land of the old YMCA really would rather Campus Apartments not exist, at least not with the kind of people that currently occupy it.

Should be interesting to see what happens. If Campus Apartments goes away, robberies will drop significantly in the surrounding area.

It is nice to see some urban dwellers on here that don't go around and try to put lipstick on ever pig that represents something negative about urban living.

It would do wonders for the area if that dump would cease to exist. I pray it goes away.

I walk around the area constantly during the daytime hours as I'm constantly going to the restaurants in Lockfield Commons. In the daytime it's completely fine as all of those places are packed with students, IUPUI workers, and doctors/nurses from the hospital. So it would take some serious guts to try and pull a robbery during the day. But once it gets dark it becomes pretty sketchy. In fact, just days after I moved in, the Taco Bell was robbed late at night. According to the Star article the suspect ran straight towards Campus Apartments. So you would never catch me walking around over there late at night.

There are certainly pros and cons to urban living. I'm an IUPUI student and someone who loves spending time downtown at restaurants, bars, Pacer/Colts games, etc. So I absolutely love the downtown convenience and love being able to go over to the canal and take walks when the weather is nice. Given where I'm at in life right now, it's a perfect place to live.

But at the same time, you do sacrifice a bit when you move into an urban area like that. I would never ever ever ever leave my garage door open, regardless of what time of day it is. That would be begging a transient to come in and steal stuff. And like I said, I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable walking around my neighborhood in the middle of the night. We try to be extra cautious.

It's certainly a mixed bag, but I feel the pros outweigh the cons for me right now.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:23 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,603,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
The urban cheerleaders will always act like things aren't that bad. Robberies in Broad Ripple, Nora, and along the 96th St. and Allisonville Rd. corridors have now become a lot more common than in the past. The urban cheerleaders demand people act a certain way when 'living in a city' or 'living in an urban area.' They push their comments to the line, and sometimes they almost cross into the blaming the victim area.
First of all when did Nora and 96th Street become urban? Yes, there is usually more crime in urban areas, but that doesn't make them dangerous. I would honestly feel just as safe walking on Monument Circle at 3 AM as I would on Main Street in downtown Carmel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis