Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 01:59 PM

44 posts, read 258,421 times

Advertisements

growing up on the eastside of town in Little Flower Catholic parish. (I just found and joined this forum, so please forgive me if I repeat anything previously discussed. ) I remember Haag's drugstore, Hook's drugstore, Walt's grocery store, Preston's grocery store, Shi-Kay Lounge, McCord's drugstore, Lindner's ice cream, Laughner's cafeteria, MCL cafeteria, Burger Chef, Emerson Theater, Arlington Theater, Guidone's grocery, Eastgate Mall, Irvington Plaza (Carrico's furniture, Shopper's Fair where my Dad worked part-time every Christmas season, a huge drugstore whose name I can't remember, a bowling alley south of Shopper's Fair, and, I think, the S & H green stamp redemption center was near there if not actually in Irvington Plaza), the Ground Round, Al Green's drive-in ("Ptomaine Palace"), the Eastgate YMCA, Miramar Swim Club, Paramount Music Palace. Ahhhh, such warm memories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 PM

27 posts, read 109,934 times
I'm getting in on this late, but I attended PS# 77 from the fall of of 1972 until Dec. of 1976. Mrs. Donahue was the Kindergarten teacher. We used to see her at mass at Our Lady of Lourdes. Did you know her husband disappeared under suspicious circumstances and was never found . . . She was a very nice lady.

There was Cowboy Bob, Popeye and Janie (renamed Janie's Place?) and Debbie's World for cartoon shows . . . Our brownie troop from IPS #77 was part of the audience for the latter two.

What about the Tee Pee over at the State Fair? My dad who is almost 90 loved that place.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed and allowed me a very pleasant trip down memory lane.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 12,615 times
Does anyone happen to have any old pictures/video footage of any of these places, i.e. The Pole, TeePee, Westlake Drive-In, etc?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 12,533 times
Oh thank you for the memories... I lived on the east side from 1965-1974 but continued to visit after moving to Greenfield. Nana lived on Woodside, just east of Shadeland and Washington Streets. We were members of the "Y" which is funny b/c before we were old enough to go alone, she had to take us and she didn't swim! Farrell's and Tiffany's Bakery (I worked there in high school) at Washington Square, Chi Chi's next to what was Paramount Music Palace), Arlington Theatre (where I saw The Sound of Music), Irvington United Methodist Church, Godfather's Pizza (TACO PIZZA!), 4H, shopping with Nana at "The Fort," Shadeland and National Drive-Ins, the TeePee restaurant, the orange pumpkin at Ellenburger Park!

Old 03-22-2011, 05:30 PM

643 posts, read 1,017,685 times
Sammy Terry

Old 03-25-2011, 12:05 AM

27 posts, read 109,934 times
The orange pumpkin CARRIAGE at Ellenberger . . . and that was the best sledding hill around, too. Also the Hart Bakery on 10th's Street. Sammy Terry owned the music store across from St. Lawrence Church on the corner of Shadeland and 46th Street. Took violin lessons there for many years. Went to preschool (or nursery school as it was known as back in the day) at the Irvington United Methodist Church. Did anyone else have Mrs. Nelson and/or Mrs. Anderson (ironic, as I am now Mrs. Anderson) for 1st or 2nd grade at School 77? Perhaps Mrs. McCray or Mrs. Williams for 3rd or 4th? Who could forget Mr. Starkey, the art teacher. I was SCARED TO DEATH of him. My mom ran into him years later and told him of my intense fear of him. He was mortified he had scared me so much. This is a great thread!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:05 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsmith713 View Post
Does anyone happen to have any old pictures/video footage of any of these places, i.e. The Pole, TeePee, Westlake Drive-In, etc?
There is an East Side Indy Nostagia Facebook group you can join if you have a Facebook account. Not sure if you have to be a member to check out the photos or not. The photos are great. The old Washington Sq. Mall photos bring back a lot of memories for me.

//www.facebook.com/indyeastsidenostalgiaclub#!/indyeastsidenostalgiaclub

Old 03-26-2011, 06:22 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish40 View Post
The orange pumpkin CARRIAGE at Ellenberger . . . and that was the best sledding hill around, too. Also the Hart Bakery on 10th's Street. Sammy Terry owned the music store across from St. Lawrence Church on the corner of Shadeland and 46th Street. Took violin lessons there for many years. Went to preschool (or nursery school as it was known as back in the day) at the Irvington United Methodist Church. Did anyone else have Mrs. Nelson and/or Mrs. Anderson (ironic, as I am now Mrs. Anderson) for 1st or 2nd grade at School 77? Perhaps Mrs. McCray or Mrs. Williams for 3rd or 4th? Who could forget Mr. Starkey, the art teacher. I was SCARED TO DEATH of him. My mom ran into him years later and told him of my intense fear of him. He was mortified he had scared me so much. This is a great thread!

Another 77 alumna!!! I mentioned upthread that I attended 77 for 5th grade and the beginning of 6th. We also attended Irvington UMC during that time (mid-60's), and I spent many hours skating at Ellenberger.

I attended preschool at a place called "Miss Cook's Kindergarten" -- anyone ever hear of it? I have no idea now where it was located.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 AM

990 posts, read 1,725,522 times
I learned how to skate at the outdoor Ellenburger rink when I was about 5 yrs old.I had forgot all about the pumpkin carriage-Pleasant Run golf course was a great sledding place! Shaws drugstore and Bells Pharmacy at 10th and Boehning St, the A&P Dentons barber shop is still there,Moores Market and the Hardware store next door(can't remember the name).Woodview Jr High Pizza Barn (root beer stand before that) Blue and White Truck stop-Bargin Barn

Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 AM

44 posts, read 258,421 times
Oh, wow. How could I not have mentioned Ellenberger Park? For a year or so back in the 1960s, I used to live five or so houses west from there on East Walnut Street. And, I didn't mention Harold's Steer-In restaurant on East Tenth Street near North Emerson Avenue. I was fortunate enough to eat there while I was visiting Indy again a year or so before they went out of business. PS #77 sounds so familiar. Where is/was that? I went to kindergarten at PS #62 (Calvin Kendall) near East 10th Street and North Wallace Avenue (Street?), but I understand it no longer exists. I went to "nursery school" at Chicken Little Nursery School. I don't remember where it is/was located, but the name has stuck with me for more years than I care to admit. Hahaha!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis