Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:10 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire1916 View Post
PS #77 sounds so familiar. Where is/was that?
I had to go to GoogleMaps and try to trace the route I walked from my house to school (and it's been a looooooooong time since I've made the journey), but I found the building! It's at the intersection of Michigan and North Arlington and it's no longer an IPS school, though I'm not sure what its current use is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,294 times
Default Westlake resident-- Chapel Hill, 1964-69

Can't believe no one has mentioned: BURGER CHEF. And Shakey's Pizza. Noble Roman's is still around off 10th. A&P on 10th near Girls School Road I think is gone. Indianapolis International was called "Weir Cook". Another nod to Ayr-way/Zayre. And Kresge's, later K-mart. There was an entire trailer park lost to the southward expansion of the airport-- anyone recall the name? Maybe more if I can think of any.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 AM

27 posts, read 109,961 times
Default School 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I had to go to GoogleMaps and try to trace the route I walked from my house to school (and it's been a looooooooong time since I've made the journey), but I found the building! It's at the intersection of Michigan and North Arlington and it's no longer an IPS school, though I'm not sure what its current use is.
School 77 is close to the intersection of Michigan and Arlington. If you know where Pleasant Run Parkway deadends into Pleasant Run golf course on Arlington, that is just a slightly better indicator. If you are looking at the golf course from the Parkway, then School 77 is just to your right. It was built into the side of a hill, kinda like a tri-level. It was sold by IPS years ago . . .

Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
That building is now housing one of the Irvington Community School's charter schools. I think it is the middle school.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:46 AM

990 posts, read 1,725,656 times
Loved Burger Chef-lived very close to the one on east Washington west of Post Rd-anyone remember Kings restaurant -you used a phone at the booths to order-it was located in Irvington on Washington street.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:12 PM

83 posts, read 180,773 times
Default The Old Gaseline Alley at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway

I miss the old garages at the Indianapolis track. The could get right up with the cars, drives and crews. An Indianapolis racing fan could really check out what was going on. Now that I think about it, the drives and crew probably not so much.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:18 PM

83 posts, read 180,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
There was also a drug store right on corner of 38th and Meridian that had a place to eat that had some sort of danish at breakfast that was cooked on grill.

I use to eat at lunch here. I was the mailman. Fast Eddie was a true artist.
Well for that matter I miss Fast Eddie's at the other end of the building after the drug stores counter was closed.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 PM

44 posts, read 258,464 times
Oh, yeah, I remember Burger Chef. I think they were bought by Hardee's a year or so after I moved south. I used to love the Big Chef a lot more than I did the Big Mac at Mickey D's. And, the Tee Pee near the fairgrounds.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:31 PM

44 posts, read 258,464 times
Quote:

Oh, my goodness. No wonder it sounded familiar. When I played golf, I almost always played at Pleasant Run.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:47 AM

43 posts, read 127,285 times
WOW a lot more memories posted since the last time I checked in. a Few pages back somebody mentioned the train at Broad Ripple park, that was a big part of my childhood curiosity.Grandma forever called Burger King, Burger Chef.

Sometimes I miss being a kid and think the 70s were the perfect time to be one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis