Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 04:21 PM

17,997 posts, read 9,000,582 times

Advertisements

This thread is for those who have lived in the Indianapolis area for some time now or just have memories of a place or places that no longer exist. This thread might be interesting for some of the newer residents who have no clue what used to be here in Indianapolis. Whether this place was a beloved jewel or possibly just something you can't find anymore

I can still remember the steep stairs at Markest Square Arena, The Hoosier Dome, the drive in movie theater on Crawfordsville Road, Watching the airplanes take off at the "Airpark" off Hanna Road. I'm sure their is others but I can't think of them now.

Anyone want to take it away.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 12:57 AM
ija

2 posts, read 18,589 times
Haughville, sigh.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:58 PM

17,997 posts, read 9,000,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ija View Post
Haughville, sigh.

I like 1990's Haughville back when it was mainly a white neighborhood( not that I'm racist) It's just that back then Haughville was a much nicer neighborhood of Indianapolis.Haughville has gone down the tubes. To go their you have to practicly know Spanish.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:24 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,573,247 times
Those dang stair in the old Market Square Arena were nearly the death of me several time when I was a teenager!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:28 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,742,543 times
The "cruising" hangouts; The Teepee, The Pole. Rruising Madison Avenue.
Al Green's
drive in theaters on 31 and 135
House of Blue Lights
House where Sylvia Likens was murdered.
military at Fort Harrison
going fishing at Geist Reservour (which was never to have motor boats or houses....yeah, right)

Old 06-29-2009, 02:35 AM

37 posts, read 128,498 times
Ayres Tearoom
Roselyn Bakery
Milk Delivered to your door
Fruit being being sold by man on horse drawn wagon through Forrest Manor area.
Music Memory Contests in elementary school

Old 06-29-2009, 03:06 AM

251 posts, read 309,730 times
Prentis little league on 38th street and a little neighborhood grocery store that used to be at 34th and Forest Manor called Rosie's....Mike Kuhns drugstore next to Rosie's, and Brock's drugstore at 38th and Sherman where we used to buy wiffle balls and just north of there was old Ward's barber shop.

Last edited by sportzfn; 06-29-2009 at 03:32 AM..

Old 06-29-2009, 05:46 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,782,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesjag View Post
Ayres Tearoom
Roselyn Bakery
Milk Delivered to your door
Fruit being being sold by man on horse drawn wagon through Forrest Manor area.
Music Memory Contests in elementary school
Music Memory!!! My grandmother, who was an elementary school teacher, used to teach me lyrics to help me remember the different pieces. I can still hum the intros to a number of classical works .....

Oooooooh, Roslyn Bakeries -- one could go into sugar overload just walking in the door! (LOL)

When I was in 4th grade, I attended PS 57 (E. Washington Street), which was a K-8 school. I remember the older students going out into the hallway to ring chimes (I guess to signal the end of class?) -- it was considered an honor to be able to do that, and the younger kids were in awe of the bellringers.

And in 6th grade, at PS 77 (now gone), I was a crossing guard. I had a white belt and a badge that I wore while watching my designated corner. Also at PS 77, I remember being pulled out for (optional) religious class. This would have been 1965-ish, and students whose parents approved (and paid?) for the class would actually leave the building for "Christian study". That surprises me now .....

Oh, and as a child, I played in a large accordion band and attended summer "accordion camp" in the city. I doubt that's around anymore.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-29-2009 at 05:56 AM..

Old 06-30-2009, 02:32 AM

37 posts, read 128,498 times
Dark of the Moon-

The Music Memory Contest I was referring to was when we would learn classical music. 1st-3rd would learn easy ones like William Tell Overature, 4-6, would learn others but they also had to know 1-3s music and on up to 8th grade who had no learn all the pieces. As I remember they called it a contest but we would be quizzed on the music at our school level. I think the teacher would play a bit of the song and we had to recognize it from that. Children who did well went on and then there was a city wide contest where we would listen to the songs played by the Indianapolis Symphon over the radio. The most exciting year was after Clowes Hall was built, and the winners got to go there to have the contest live with the Indianapolis Symphony.

We have been away but are now moving back. We would come back and visit family. I was shocked when I heard Roselyn closed. Of all the places we lived, I never found a bakery like it.

I had forgotten about ringing of the chimes in hallway at school. I remember doing it only once. One would think tapping those chimes would be an easy task but some how I made it sound like a sick cow.

When I was in elementary school, girls were not allowed to be crossing guards! We lived across the street from school #1 I attended. I can remember first time I saw girls as crossing guards. I was so envious. Kids that were delivered the paper were always boys till I was in high school.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:10 AM

76 posts, read 275,708 times
Knobby's (drive-in restaurant)
Bill's Fabulous '50s (drive-in restaurant)
Harold's Steer-In (drive-in restaurant)
Paramount Music Palace (restaurant with a huge pipe organ!)
Haag's (drugstore)
Hook's (drugstore)
Osco (department store)
Frank's Nursery and Crafts
Noble Roman's (sit-down restaurants that played silent movies, not the carry-out places in strip malls and bowling alleys that exist today)
Cub Foods (discount/bulk grocery store)
Del-Farm (supermarket)
Preston's (supermarket, which became Preston-Safeway)
Westlake Drive-In Movies (geez...just lots of drive-ins that are gone now!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis