Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:39 PM

54 posts, read 267,772 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how you are adjusting. We are considering moving there from Pleasanton, CA. I was wondering how it was a culture shock, if at all. Is it a lot less sunny? Are people as friendly? I was looking at Zionsville area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 10:54 PM

9 posts, read 31,321 times
We too are in the process and seriously considering Zionsville too, initially it was Carmel for us but after seeing the size we were very concerned, however on the other end Zionsville is not as diverse.
We are moving from Orinda CA.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:28 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
My parents live in CA. I moved to and from NC. It will be a big adjustment. Indiana moves at a somewhat slower pace but has everything you will need. We have 4 definite seasons with a hot summer needing AC and a damp and cold winter with snow. Sometimes more sometimes less.

I think you will find that suburbs are pretty much the same all over but we have less of CA striving. Not missing just less. Less stress, less everything. This is a good thing to me. You dont have to live in the country to have a less stressful life. It is very hard to describe.

We also dont strive to be the "beautiful" people. We are who we are. Now, if you hang out with the Indianapolis Monthly people or the Bridgewater Club people, you will find a high society feeling but most of Indiana reflects our farm and small town heritage. We do have transplants from other states and countries but not to the extent of Raleigh or some areas of CA.

You cannot run off to the beach, visit a movie studio or do much skiing in Indiana. We have some pretty hills in Brown County or Parke County and we do have some big and pretty lakes. You can catch flights to Florida.

Cost of living is what you make it. It is generally very low and we like this a lot. Loads of Farmers markets and a lot of activities for kids. In fact, all the parents in my office have the problem of limiting activities for their kids and not the problem of finding things for them to do.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:14 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochellepotter View Post
Just wondering how you are adjusting. We are considering moving there from Pleasanton, CA. I was wondering how it was a culture shock, if at all. Is it a lot less sunny? Are people as friendly? I was looking at Zionsville area. Thanks!

The people are much more friendly. You'll love the Zionsville area - I think.

Oh the weather. I hope you don't move here around Thanksgiving time. Not sure why, but the last week of November and the first two weeks of December are often extremely cloudy - and by that I mean you might not see the sun for several days -maybe up to a week. Winter in general is very cloudy, but early December is the cloudiest. Winter can be very gray and depressing for a lot of people. (personally it doesn't bother me at all - but I know some people it does)

Overall yes it will seem a lot less sunny than Ca - no doubt - today for example it is cloudy with a good chance of rain, we likely won't see any sunshine all day. (summer though is usually rather sunny - at least for parts of the day)

Old 05-07-2008, 09:10 AM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
While I am originally from here I lived in the Marin County California for 10 years. Indianpolis is about as laid back as possible. You will find yourself laughing when people complain about the "20 minutes" it took them to get somewhere and you will laugh about people complaining about "High property taxes" or "how expensive" homes are getting here. People are incredibly friendly and quite frankly there is something to do or see every week here. I've been back here for years and I can always pick up the paper and find some event or place Ive not been to or seen. Be it the canal downtown, the many festivals or home tours, the sporting evnets there is always something going on.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:13 AM

172 posts, read 511,994 times
Rochellepotter and CaliToIndy, you'll do just fine.
We moved from Sacramentp(Elk Grove) to Florida thinking we would enjoy the warm weather... NOT! It was horrible! But moving to the Indy area is very comfortable. The folks are a little shy and 'earthy' but very pleasant. You'll get all 4 seasons. Summer is hot, Spring and Fall very comfortable, and Winter, well it's Winter! And we're still adjusting to it! It was COLD last winter, so bring the electric blankets and the parkas!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:56 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
One good thing about winter, it makes you appreciate spring and nice weather much, much more. That first really nice spring day - there is nothing better. Of course I really love that first cool fall day when you have to wear a sweatshirt

Old 05-07-2008, 12:24 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
I found people to be friendly in the Hoosier state and in California.
Funny thing is neither one seems to be a genuine "friendly"to me. It's hard to explain, or maybe I am just too suspecious.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:16 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
I moved from here from California. People may be a tad nicer in Indiana, but people here are also very very introverted compared to people in California. Also, people in Indiana dont seem to do anything. One thing about California is there is always people out doing things. Even in the summer here it seems everyone is stuffed inside their boxes watching tv.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:58 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
I see people out in Columbus all the time. Our trail system is heavily used!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis