Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:02 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAPP View Post
True. I was just making a point that RT36 is a pain in the @ss during rush hour.
Yeah, 36 can be bad. I guess I"m used to it though, especially since I grew up in Northwest IN, and drove Chicago traffic regularly.

Once you get to the area, it is pretty easy to learn the backroads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 03:04 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,061,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argonamy View Post
Relocating for job in Indy area, but DO NOT want to live in the city. Need to know about rental property, public school system, hospitals (specifically maternity care), commutes fr and to Indy (Speedway area). Relocating from Stafford, VA area and want to get away from the rude, aggressive driving, illegal immigrants and wanna-be-gangsta thugs!!!!

I'm looking at Plainfield area (WEST), Gladden Farms. Looks like they have everything I am looking for from hiking trails, kid fun, good schools, but what will the commute look like to Indy.

Also looked at Grande Reserve @ Geist (NE in Lawrence Township). Very nice.

ANY L.E.O's (help a former L.E.O) on this forum tell me the truth about some of the townhome and apartment complexes to definitely stay OUT of!!!! Which areas do you get the most calls for service?

Thank you!
Gladden Farms is a very transient neighborhood of Plainfield. It's in area of Plainfield that sees more crime than other areas of Plainfield. Since I'm a police explorer I get to see crime first hand and have taken some good calls from Gladden Farms and to the trailer park just to the North of GF. If you keep to yourself and don't bother anyone there in Gladden Farms you shouldn't have any problems.

I would recommend you to check out these apartment complexes around town:

Valley View
Saratoga Crossing Apartments + Condos/Townhouses
Aberdeen
Central Park( Across the road from GF)
Crown Plaza( Just to the West of GF)--These are both better neighborhoods than GF
Parkside Place

Plainfield is a wonderful community with lots of hiking/biking trails(infact the existing trails are having exercising+educational stations being installed for adults and children) Their are lots of activities for children to do around town anything from the skate park to the library to the aquatic center to Pier 14 to the mall to..to..EVERYTHING!!..lol

Plainfield schools have been national rewarded for their excellence in education and innovative technology in the classroom. This year the elementaries are having SMART boards being installed in their classrooms.( HS and MS got these last year) They are very effective in helping students learn new concepts. Plus the schools are very clean and the staff are very friendly.

From "Oldtown" Plainfield to Monument Circle( heart of downtown) is 17 miles taking US 40/Washington Street/Maryland Street to Meridian and going 1 block North. Taking about 35-45 minutes.

From "Oldtown" Plainfield to Meridian and Maryland streets( heart of downtown) taking Interstate 70 to Illinois street to Maryland Street to Meridian and going 1 block North to Monument Circle is about 20 miles and takes about 25-35 minutes.

Other than the Gladden Farms-Shrum mobile home trailer park area of Plainfield( which is still okay to live in but the crime is kind of going up). Plainfield is a very nice low crime community with great schools and still has the "small town" feel even though we have almost 30,000 people.

If you have anymore questions about Plainfield please feel free to PM me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiJayne View Post
Yeah, 36 can be bad. I guess I"m used to it though, especially since I grew up in Northwest IN, and drove Chicago traffic regularly.

Sometimes it's funny to mess with out of towners when they come through and ask for directions.

Example this happened a few weeks ago.

Plainfield Police Station A lady walked in asking directions to Brownsburg. The dispatcher tells her this. Take Saratoga Parkway North to 350, take 350 to 550, Go North on 550 to 300 and then take 300 East to 625 then go North on 625 to 91 and go east on 91 to 100 and go East to IN 267 and head north.

This was the look on her face

Old 08-13-2009, 04:19 PM

77 posts, read 245,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Gladden Farms is a very transient neighborhood of Plainfield. It's in area of Plainfield that sees more crime than other areas of Plainfield. Since I'm a police explorer I get to see crime first hand and have taken some good calls from Gladden Farms and to the trailer park just to the North of GF. If you keep to yourself and don't bother anyone there in Gladden Farms you shouldn't have any problems.
Very typical of section 8 housing.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:25 PM

Sadly that is a true fact.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 AM

5 posts, read 16,365 times
What about the outdoor Mall that was just built? All of the shopping that has gone up in the last 5 years. The ease to get to Avon with more great shopping, the close distance to Downtown...and the wonderful parks?

I mean COME ON....people love on your CITY!
I miss it out there!

Old 08-17-2009, 10:37 PM

10 posts, read 47,382 times
you all have been very helpful!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 10:46 PM

10 posts, read 47,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiJayne View Post

I love backroads!! Travelling in the Angola area and some of the other rural areas of IN, I have seen the numeric ONLY road names. You really have to know where you are going because there are no hints along the way...like a McD's or Wendy's on the corner. It's "pass the tall, old oak tree and turn left at the fence post.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjw View Post
What about the outdoor Mall that was just built? All of the shopping that has gone up in the last 5 years. The ease to get to Avon with more great shopping, the close distance to Downtown...and the wonderful parks?

I mean COME ON....people love on your CITY!
I miss it out there!
I'm loving on my city!

P-town represent
Quote:
Originally Posted by argonamy View Post
you all have been very helpful!!!

Your Welcome!

Old 02-18-2010, 12:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,612 times
Plainfield is snobs think that if you live in the outskirts of the town like Avon or such that you should pay extra to come to their rec place. Staff is rude want to see you drivers license charge extra because you are not from inside the city. Glad places like Kings Island don't think that way. If you want a vacation and some fun don't go to Plainfield they will charge you more because you are an outsider.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:59 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,207 times
Hm, I don't think of it as being snobbish. I am pretty sure that if you are a resident of Plainfield, part of your taxes go to the rec center. So, since I live in Avon, I would expect to pay a little more. Plainfield residents would be charged twice if they paid the same rate, in a way. Once on the admission, and again in their tax bills.

Now, once the YMCA is built in Avon, I won't need to use the plainfield rec center as much. If any portion of my tax bill goes to the Y, I would assume that they would charge "outsiders" more to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis