Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 10:11 PM

38 posts, read 131,968 times

Advertisements

Me and my family are getting ready to move to the Indianapolis area soon, coming from Kentucky south of Louisville. Its alright down here but nowhere near as good as Indy! I am in the military and moving to the area. Just looking for a moderate commute to Indy and also great schools and a clean community. Thanks and if you have some interesting facts about your city let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 06:56 AM

355 posts, read 911,632 times
Are you planning on working in indy, if so what area as commute and location of work may play a big factor in determining you area. Also are you looking to live in the city or in a surronding suburb?

Northside- fischers, carmel, castelton, nobelesville, geist

schools, carmel is excellent, fischers and nobelesville are most certainley respectable. Lawrence north and lawrence centeral, are good but not great. There are other schools also

east- lawrence, warren park, irvington, look for areas from emerson to german church going east-west and brookville to 30th. Huge area and some within are spotty but for the most part its all one big working/middle class neighborhood.

Furthur east are new palestine, mt comfort and furthur still is greenfield.- the 3 most rural places on this list, good schools and good homes for the money, new pal is slightly more expensive.

South- tons of stuff with all good schools, greenwood, southport-homecroft, fountain square, garfield ect ect ect

west. Speeway - i dont know the west side like the others so i dont want to speak on areas i dont know.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:17 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsheely View Post
west. Speeway - i dont know the west side like the others so i dont want to speak on areas i dont know.
West-- Avon, Danville, Plainfield, Brownsburg. Easy 30 minute commute, plenty of shopping and dining options. Schools are excellent. Nice parks and plenty to do.

Price range will help you determine where you want to be too, if you will be buying a home.

I would try to ask some of your future co-workers for their thoughts.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:01 PM

8 posts, read 28,740 times
Default Sister moving to Indianapolis from NJ

Hi my name is Denise from NJ
I've lived in NJ all my life and Im actually praying that the Lord will guide my family and I to the right state..

However my younger sis who still resides in Nj will be moving to Indianapolis in Dec.. I know she is moving to some community homes
named Willamsburg Village and my niece and nephew will be attending the
Brownsburg Community School District..

I searched the schools academic stats and they are ranked pretty high..
She is trying to get me to move out their as well..

As a Christian and concerns on education and race how will my family and I be accepted into this community as well as my sister w/ her kids?

Are grandparents are from Puerto Rico but all our lives we lived in NJ.

Can anyone please give us any advice???..

Blessings
Denise

Old 08-19-2009, 03:08 PM

44 posts, read 101,168 times
I am not a minority race, but I am from the deep south where prejudice runs rampant.

I would say that in my limited time here, I see far less ignorance when it comes to minorities than I have in other cities.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:32 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHDOG14 View Post
Me and my family are getting ready to move to the Indianapolis area soon, coming from Kentucky south of Louisville. Its alright down here but nowhere near as good as Indy! I am in the military and moving to the area. Just looking for a moderate commute to Indy and also great schools and a clean community. Thanks and if you have some interesting facts about your city let me know!
Welcome to Indianapolis! Check out Greenwood and the Franklin areas, both are just south of Indianapolis off I-65. They are exponentially growing family-friendly communities, EXCELLENT schools, the Greenwood park Mall is close (US 31 and County Line Rd.) and the crime is super low. Another area you might try is Plainfield-Avon on the west side. Its a similar picture for them. Pretty much almost all suburbs of Indy are clean, safe, and good schools. And the suburbs in Hamilton County on the North side of Indianapolis (Carmel, Fishers, Zionsville, Noblesville) are very up-and-coming, well-to-do communities. Hope this helps.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:15 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiJayne View Post
West-- Avon, Danville, Plainfield, Brownsburg. Easy 30 minute commute, plenty of shopping and dining options. Schools are excellent. Nice parks and plenty to do.

Price range will help you determine where you want to be too, if you will be buying a home.

I would try to ask some of your future co-workers for their thoughts.
Eastern Hendricks County is a wonderful place to live. Don't forget to mention the tons of recreational oppurtunities.

I also second price range and asking future co-workers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseallen View Post
Hi my name is Denise from NJ
I've lived in NJ all my life and Im actually praying that the Lord will guide my family and I to the right state..

However my younger sis who still resides in Nj will be moving to Indianapolis in Dec.. I know she is moving to some community homes
named Willamsburg Village and my niece and nephew will be attending the
Brownsburg Community School District..

I searched the schools academic stats and they are ranked pretty high..
She is trying to get me to move out their as well..

As a Christian and concerns on education and race how will my family and I be accepted into this community as well as my sister w/ her kids?

Are grandparents are from Puerto Rico but all our lives we lived in NJ.

Can anyone please give us any advice???.

Blessings
Denise
You will be fine. Surprisingly Eastern Hendricks County has a big religious following. You will find alot of Catholics in Brownsburg and Plainfield. Avon and Danville I believe have more of a Presbyterian/Methodists following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemTiger0408 View Post
I am not a minority race, but I am from the deep south where prejudice runs rampant.

I would say that in my limited time here, I see far less ignorance when it comes to minorities than I have in other cities.
Indianapolis in my opinion is one of the most race neutral( meaning it just doesn't really matter if your white,black,green,gay,hungarian,purple,Jewish or whatever) major cities in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis