Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 01:25 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemTiger0408 View Post
I can't believe we are discussing natural disasters.

CA has Earthquakes, Mud Slides, and Wildfires yet millions of people live there.

Indy has tornadoes and severe storms.

They are different. You might say California is worse in that department, but when I first moved out of California severe thunderstorms used to scare the crap out of me and the thought of Earthquakes didn't bother me at all.

Everywhere has possible natural disasters. You can't base where you want to live on that.
Seeing the pics of the fires in LA is just sad. There's a picture of smoke pluming behind the Hollywood sign.

Be safe Californians!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 02:24 PM

77 posts, read 245,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataEast View Post
What the hell? Most of those points are terrible, you could trade earthquakes and wildfires for tornadoes and Republicans. Why imply civil unrest and riots are going to happen? Even if that does happen its not like the whole state will be in complete anarchy. Getting guns and ammo is a pro? Really? This is what Hoosiers actually believe, as if that's a necessary thing to live.
Just chill, sit back and wait. They said the Titantic could not sink too.

More and more banks are failing every week, and job losses are staggering. Do you live in a cave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemTiger0408 View Post
I can't believe we are discussing natural disasters.

CA has Earthquakes, Mud Slides, and Wildfires yet millions of people live there.

Indy has tornadoes and severe storms.

They are different. You might say California is worse in that department, but when I first moved out of California severe thunderstorms used to scare the crap out of me and the thought of Earthquakes didn't bother me at all.

Everywhere has possible natural disasters. You can't base where you want to live on that.
Most my comments were tongue in cheek, but I am strategic about living far away from areas that are prone to wildfires. Have you ever been in or close to a wildfire?... I have. The fire is bad enough, but the smoke is 10x worse.

My girlfriends parents live in La Cresenta, CA and had to be evacuated this week. They are in their late 80's and her Mom is in the final stages of lung cancer... it's not fun.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 09-20-2009 at 08:06 PM..

Old 08-31-2009, 03:52 PM

445 posts, read 1,810,280 times
I thnak you all for your responses....They are all different yet interesting points of view. It took a while to get some responses, maybe this forum is not super busy??

I have few doubts if we could make it there, the biggest concerns are work (as we own a maint/landscape business-ONLY because of the winters) and the gray days. While i would like some seasons and change of scenery ( i think)

I think alot of the things you don't miss about CA (plaidmom) are the things i would not miss either...am just plain tired of crappy people. Don't get me wrong not everyone is crappy...but a lot are..I think everyone is just in a rut, recession, dump, whatever you want to call it, but if people would try to find the good in each of their lives, and make ther most of their lives, it could get a bit better.

I am open to a smaller town/lifestyle, i know the schools there are really good, it would just be an issue of work for my husband, i stay at home. Texas is on our list as well, only for the fact that they do not get the snow/winter like Indy, and he would be able to work almost all year around. We are on the fence.....this is a huge life decision for us, we know we are leaving Ca, but want to get to a place we can love the next 20 years!!! Then we will reitre in Arizona.....

Old 08-31-2009, 04:28 PM

44 posts, read 101,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAPP View Post
Most my comments were tongue in cheek, but I am strategic about living far away from areas that are prone to wildfires. Have you ever been in or close to a wildfire?... I have. The fire is bad enough, but the smoke is 10x worse.

My girlfriends parents live in La Cresenta, CA and had to be evacuated this week. They are in their late 80's and her Mom is in the final stages of lung cancer... it's not fun.
I have been in one actually. I was evacuated from my home during the Oakland Hills Fires in the early 90s.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:51 AM

918 posts, read 1,697,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAPP View Post

Pros:
  • The cost of living in Indy is MUCH cheaper than Cali.
Cons:
  • Very high cost of living.
Eh ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I agree, but you gotta look at where your talking about, it's Indiana. IN is a conservative state and always will be. Nothing will change that, ever, period. Conservatives, and a large majority of midwest residents have this big urge to protect their right to have guns. That's fine, but they will probably never have to use them, it's paranoia and power is all.
If you do some research you will see more people have been killed in tornados in the past 2 years than in California in the past 50 years from earthquakes and fires, once again another cliche.
I've lived in CA and I miss it. I get tired of hoosiers who never even been to Ca badmouthing it.
IN's not that conservative anymore.. it went blue last year for the first time since 1964. Indy, Bloomington and NW Indiana are quite liberal

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 09-20-2009 at 08:06 PM..

Old 09-20-2009, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,229 times
Christina,

We moved from Foothill Ranch (O.C.) to Indy 5 years ago. We have 2 kids and moved here for the same reasons that you mentioned above. We have not regretted it.

Sincerely,
Kristen

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 09-20-2009 at 07:34 PM..

Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 PM

4 posts, read 9,933 times
I've been to California but I live in Indiana and I'd pick IN over CA any day..

Old 09-29-2009, 09:55 AM

4 posts, read 8,554 times
We moved to Lawrence, Indiana. We came from Huntington Beach, Ca. My husband just moved in August and I am still here in California until I retire in February. I can tell you we did not move to Indiana for the weather. We moved here to be near my children and grandchildren.
There is no weather like the weather in California. It is the best.
Where are you planning to live in Indiana?
Ann

Old 09-29-2009, 10:00 AM

4 posts, read 8,554 times
Well, I am another Democrat from California so I hope Indiana stays blue.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:39 PM

77 posts, read 245,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkrose4ann View Post
Well, I am another Democrat from California so I hope Indiana stays blue.
From what I've experienced, Indy is blue and it gets more red as you drive out/away from the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis