Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 05:54 PM

43 posts, read 194,606 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Indy in a few months and wanted some insight on Oak Lake at Crooked Creek Apartments on the NW side of Indy. I looked at ratings on some forums but most were dating back in 2006-07....wanted something a little more updated.

The reason I am really looking into these apartments is because they dont have a breed restriction on their pet policy and this is the only place I found in or around Indy that allow this.

If anyone knows of any other apartments I can rent in Indy with an 'agressive breed', let me know..I'm open to other options!

I don't want to hear stories about 'killer dogs' or accusations of being a drug-dealer or anything just because I own an 'agressive breed'. I am simply looking for opinions on these apartments.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 06:07 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times
Wow, and apartment complex without a breed restriction? Are you positive?

I have had an aggressive breed for about 12 years, and am going to have to move to an apartment next year. Usually, I just say she is a mix, and rent from private landlords who don't have anything specific written in the lease about breeds.

I was not aware any of the large, managed complexes allowed these dogs. However, I will look into this complex.

If anyone else knows of any other apartments where there are no breed restrictions, and in a decent area, please share.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:28 PM

43 posts, read 194,606 times
I currently live in an apartment in Bloomington without a breed restriction....they are few and far between but they are out there! I called Oak Lake last week and asked about the pet policy and she said they allow all breeds, even pitbulls. At my current place, we are required to have all immunizations on file and renters insurance. Some places even require a pet interview. But Oak Creek does not require any of that on file even though I will have his shots updated and renters insurance paid!

The lady on the phone seemed extremely nice and very helpful. I don't really care what the property looks like or what type of people live there really...just as long as I can keep my furry friend, that's all that matters!!

Old 08-30-2009, 09:59 PM

44 posts, read 101,172 times
I probably sound like I work for them at this point for the amount of praise I've sung...

BUT, I live in another JC Hart property (North Haven) and I absolutely love it. I can't comment on Oak Lake specifically, but my experience with apartment owners is that they want their name to mean something. And if North Haven is fantastic, I'm sure Oak Lake is too.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:04 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
It probably is not the apartment owner who has a breed problem, it is their insurance company. Our insurance company does not cover liability for a list of dog breeds. The new restriction was sudden and came with a "if you dont like it leave" kind of letter.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:40 AM

355 posts, read 911,757 times
I own a rottie and currently am fortunate enough to have a private rental home w a landlord who knows I have this dog, and my brother has two pitts, if you have pitts say its some type of mix, if a rottie, german shephard, dobbie or any of those ur in less luck, I'm active on a rottweiler web site because I train and work dogs and can say this happens all the time, either apts dont allow breeds or insurance cant be found. Im not sure how set u are for an apartment but you may have better luck trying to find a rentable house, there are many and speak with the landlord and show them how u manage you dog and that you take care of it and wont allow it in situations where it could be a problem. demonstrate your good ownership, but with an apartment complex your in a harder spot as it wont matter how good ur dog is. most simply say no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: