Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 29,556 times

Advertisements

My friends and I used to hunt down "haunted" houses, cemetaries, etc. One that took us awhile to find because of poor directions was a single-level house out near the airport in an area that appeared never caught on for development as are quite a few lots but few houses in the area (Fruitdale, Vinewood, Howard). I don't remeber which of the three streets it was located on, just that it was a single story house that was abandoned and as I remember had a tall fence built around it. Not sure if that was part of the story too or what but it always seemed odd to have an old, abandoned house falling apart inside of a nicely constructed 8ft.-tall fence.

If anyone knows or remembers, I'd love to hear what the story was behind this place!

BTW, I included a little map showing the general area just north of the airport where it was located.
Attached Thumbnails
Abandoned/haunted house near the airport. Old crimescene? (possibly razed now)-house.jpg  

Last edited by Dirk Squarejaw; 09-16-2009 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 29,556 times
I talked to a friend that went to the place with me and the way he remembers it there may have been an unsolved murder that took place in the 70's and the police put the fence up around it.

If anyone remembers what happened and/or what kept them investigating it for 20+ years, I'd be interested. Sometime abandoned properties have interesting stories behind them and I'm sure this one does.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 13,398 times
i think ive been to the same house we used to go a couple of times a year i dont live in indianapolis anymore but the last time we went they put up a lot of lights and more fencing. The time before that when we went, i was probably 13-14 yrs old and hung out with older kids one of the guys pulled the fence down with his truck and we went in. Obviously some kind of cult or crazy kids had een in there recently there was a satanic star in a circle drawn on the floor with broken candles dead cats everywhere and even a decapitated dog that was hung in the shed. My friends even had it on video I dont know about it being haunted but it was definetly the scariest thing ive ever seen

Old 08-20-2010, 02:41 PM

369 posts, read 676,956 times
This might have been the Horace Reeve House. It is actually in Hendricks County. I drove by there a few years back, to see what all the fuse was about. They had a fence up with "NO TRESPASSING!" signs. The entire area is pretty rural, with lots of fields. At that time, the Indianapolis Airport Authority had used their power to declare the area within the confines of the airport general area. The area might be so rural, with farm fields, due to construction limits because of noise and such. I am not 100% on this. What I do know is that the home was the victim of arson just this past summer. Interestingly enough, while the Indianapolis Airport Authority owned the place, they were still offering it for sale for $1.00. However, it was in horrible condition. I have no idea if they were hoping for some Hanna House type business venture or what. Now they may as well tear it down for good.

4 charged in arson of Plainfield home

Arrests made in historic home arson - 13 WTHR

This guy posted some photos:

There's a Wild Side to Every Innocent Face.: The Horace Reeve House.

Everything I am reading on-line doesn't seem to mention a murder, so maybe this is the wrong home??

Old 08-20-2010, 02:58 PM

10 posts, read 64,426 times
Are you talking about Indianapolis International? I live maybe 15 minutes from it, I might have to get my aunt to take me so we can see, hah.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:40 PM

7 posts, read 24,235 times
I didn't know the Horace House was set on fire, I went there in March and got inside pics as well. I hope the place is still standing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis